Will the dogs Survive after..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs will fold but not because of a few retirements. Possibly they could merge with North but i cant see the AFL taking on a 15 team comp so unless another club folded or there was another merger i cant see this happening.

Leon said:
Only because of Essendon's tradition?

You really dont know **** do you.
yes only because of essendon's tradition

instead they have simply eroded your supporter base by being thier own club and not involving the bulldogs in any way - and they'll continue to tap into your fan base as they make the finals and you don't for years to come

enjoy the CBF.

Bah, just get it over and done with and move the club to the VFL, the fans will still have the club, it would just be in a more realistic setting, seen as how it's obvious they will never be a financially viable club in the big leagues, tough world but the money just isn't there for them. Get a few of the aging stars to pull on the boots for a couple of years, the fans will accept a new crop of players pretty quickly. Hell, they might even taste some success at that level.

Nobody likes hearing it I know, but something will happen eventually...

NorthBoi96 said:
They have tried their hardest, helping out with millions to 3 clubs, but when a club has admitted they have reaching there peak membership (19,000)

If I remember correctly our membership in 2003 was something like 22 000, maybe 22 and a half

Whatever it was it was more than 19 000

The Bulldogs, having quality players or not, will struggle for the rest of their footballing lives. The demography of Footscray is not that of working class caucasians any longer. Asians (and no disrespect to them in any way) have made Footscray and surrounding areas their own now.

Majority of Asians show no interest in AFL football at all. I'd be interested to see a list of the age of Bulldog supporters. I suspect that the majority would be 25+ years old.

If The Bulldogs do not relocate interstate (Darwin?) or merge in the near future, the club will fade into obscurity.

RIP Bulldogs!

CrUsTy86 said:
Scott West, Rohan Smith, Brad Johnson, Chris Grant, Luke Darcy all Retire from the AFL or willt he dogs go under?????

Only a few young players, to take over from these 1st class players

What are your thoughts :confused: :confused:

Robert Murphy , Brian Harris , Daniel Giansiracusa , Mitch Hahn , Lindsay Gilbee , Shane Birss , Adam Cooney , Brad Murphy , Wil Minson , Farren Ray , Daniel Cross , Cameron Faulkner , Ryan Hargraves , Sam Power , Matthew Boyd , Jordan McMahon and throw in two good pick ups from this years draft ( fingers crossed )

I think most people would agree that is an impressive list of young players. Rodney Eade certainly did. I wonder if this was the reason he signed with the Bulldogs and didn't even consider the Hawks ?

The only player mentioned in this thread who won't be there in 3 years is Grant. West and Smith have about 3 years left. Johnno could play for ages and end up as a permanent forward, no one his size can match him in the air. Darcy isn't that old and again could end up in the goal square when he's older.

nah if they carve out a niche in the forward pocket for him like bulldog1954 suggested he could be a taller phil matera for 5 good years

It's plain silly to suggest a club will go under just because it's veteran's are retiring. Having said that though, I have mentioned elsewhere in the last couple of days, that I believe the Bulldogs are in trouble on & off field and MUST start making progress else.....
There existing youngsters must start standing up and they must stop living off welfare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its hard to see the bulldogs undeniably talented youngsters ever improving to the stage where they can get the 13 wins to give themselves a decent crack at the finals (6th and upwards)

i can only see them evolving into a 10 win per season team - which in modern footy isn't good enough for that many years down the bottom of the table

The Western Bulldogs will survive as long as they are part of the 16 team competition so attractive to broadcasters that it brought the AFL 1/2 billion dollars last time the rights were up for sale and probably much more in a year or two.

The Western Bulldogs are worth much more in the league for the AFl than not.

And for all the bulls. hite about handouts. The total handouts are just a bit over 1% of the total $500 million brought in by them and the other 15 teams.

COnsidering they bought 31.25 million over 5 years for the AFL (1/16 of the broadcast rights) the crumbs thrown to them are well worth it.

You harbingers of doom to clubs like WB, Kangaroos and Melbourne should try just once to have a look at the bigger picture. i know it is hard because it takes actual thought, but please give it try.

Bulldog1954 said:
The only player mentioned in this thread who won't be there in 3 years is Grant. West and Smith have about 3 years left. Johnno could play for ages and end up as a permanent forward, no one his size can match him in the air. Darcy isn't that old and again could end up in the goal square when he's older.

Sorry but this statement is just plain silly.

Scott West (31)
Brad Johnson (29)
Rohan Smith (32)
Luke Darcy (30)
Chris Grant(33)

Not Good.

I went to a Bulldogs game this year at the TD, and was comforted to see the rate of young (8-14 year old) Bulldogs supporters who turned out to watch their mediocre side. Admittedly it was a Sunday Afternoon but I believe their is a supporter base to build on in the coming years.

i've thought scott wests next season would be his worst since 2001 now tho - at the fantasy selection table i've been hurt by not having all those valuable stats

SurreyBlue said:
It's plain silly to suggest a club will go under just because it's veteran's are retiring. Having said that though, I have mentioned elsewhere in the last couple of days, that I believe the Bulldogs are in trouble on & off field and MUST start making progress else.....
There existing youngsters must start standing up and they must stop living off welfare.

Again you know nothing of what is going at the Bulldogs. You truely are a narrow minded fool with no knowledge of the efforts going into the Bulldogs long term future. Not only by the club but local community and even the fedral govenement. You are a narrow minded fool.

SurreyBlue said:
Sorry but this statement is just plain silly.

Scott West (31)
Brad Johnson (29)
Rohan Smith (32)
Luke Darcy (30)
Chris Grant(33)

Not Good.

Actually:
Scott West (30)
Brad Johnson (28)
Rohan Smith (31)
Luke Darcy (29)
Chris Grant(31)

Congratulations, you managed to get every single one of them wrong. Spending 30-40 seconds on the bulldog's website would have sorted that out.

They may be getting on, but then again, after that group, there's barely a soul over 25, so while they all retire gradually over the next 3-5 years, the bulk of the list will be moving into their physical peak.

I defenitely think we need more interstate clubs. More clubs as in >16, I havn't thought about. Could be a good idea in the future, considering Australia is a large country, geographically speaking. However, there's no need for 10 AFL clubs in Victoria. That's what the VFL's for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the dogs Survive after..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back