Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
OK guys, it's now necessary to consider the possibility that the entire squad will need to relocate interstate for the bulk of, or even the entire 2022 season.

Assuming the AFL doesn't find a way to play games here, you reckon it's worth thinking about relocating to a city like Darwin or Cairns for the season? Play our home games there and get some home ground advantage by playing and training out of the hot and humid conditions. I'd imagine it would be a hell of an advantage up against some poor schmucks from Melbourne who've been training in 5 degrees and sleet in the depths of winter.

OK guys, it's now necessary to consider the possibility that the entire squad will need to relocate interstate for the bulk of, or even the entire 2022 season.

Assuming the AFL doesn't find a way to play games here, you reckon it's worth thinking about relocating to a city like Darwin or Cairns for the season? Play our home games there and get some home ground advantage by playing and training out of the hot and humid conditions. I'd imagine it would be a hell of an advantage up against some poor schmucks from Melbourne who've been training in 5 degrees and sleet in the depths of winter.
What about relocating to LA for home games?

There's a huge marketing opportunity for a team in the USA outside of the NFL season. It's a long trip from Sydney to LA so we would need our own plane to clear out the back of it for massage tables and even hot/cold baths.

Pay a bunch of influencers to come along to the game and promote it on social media, get a million eyeballs on the game and the Fremantle Football team.

Tasmania is always open 🤗

This is going to mentally affect the players, forget about fans. Would they even risk or bother relocating from families, or if they take them, risk quarantine long periods.
The announcement yesterday will just put a target on WA’s back and, just like the ASHES, sports will be punished.
Fremantle wouldn’t mind being based in Gold Coast. But we don’t tend to play well there. I’m 100% keen to be based in Victoria. MCG into the youth. Just when we play Victorian clubs, we ll suffer

My real concern is that with the 3rd season now disrupted. While the club seems to be in a better space and harmonious than in recent memory, Victorian players might just have had enough of being away from family & friends and request a trade (through no fault of the club undoing all the good work assembling this list).

I see that Tucker has already voiced his dismay at the situation. While losing him wouldn't be the end of the world and Brayshaw, Darcy & Serong seem invested. A player that really concerns me is Hayden Young. Gun player but has been injury interrupted and may think going back to Vic.

I get what you're saying, but at the same I feel like picking somewhere like Darwin or Cairns means we're still travelling every second week - we'll actually end up travelling more frequently than we do now becuase there'll be no other teams within cooee. That will negatively impact us more than it will the Vic clubs having to come there once during the season, regardless of weather conditions.

I'd rather see us settle somewhere in rural/regional Victoria that will still allow us to develop a bit of 'home'-ground advantage while substantially mitigating our travel load.

A few options that come to mind are Ballarat, Bendigo, Morwell, Shep, Casey Fields (although the Dees have a base there), Chirnside Park/Werribee and Frankston. All around 10,000 capacity.

I get what you're saying, but at the same I feel like picking somewhere like Darwin or Cairns means we're still travelling every second week - we'll actually end up travelling more frequently than we do now becuase there'll be no other teams within cooee. That will negatively impact us more than it will the Vic clubs having to come there once during the season, regardless of weather conditions.

I'd rather see us settle somewhere in rural/regional Victoria that will still allow us to develop a bit of 'home'-ground advantage while substantially mitigating our travel load.

A few options that come to mind are Ballarat, Bendigo, Morwell, Shep, Casey Fields (although the Dees have a base there), Chirnside Park/Werribee and Frankston. All around 10,000 capacity.
Exactly. There’s Ballarat and Bendigo already being used as AFL grounds. Base Fremantle there or even Geelong, and you’d see the club harmious then ever. Might make the Vic players not want to come back however

There's a huge marketing opportunity for a team in the USA outside of the NFL season. It's a long trip from Sydney to LA so we would need our own plane to clear out the back of it for massage tables and even hot/cold baths.

Pay a bunch of influencers to come along to the game and promote it on social media, get a million eyeballs on the game and the Fremantle Football team.

I don't actually hate this. There's 50,000 or so Aussies living in LA...

However, to-ing and fro-ing from there back to Aus every second week seems unrealistic. Maybe if we could get, say, four to six 'home' games in a row there then come back it might work.

Play in Wuhan instead. At least it is the same time zone.

What about Albury? Has a half decent venue already and an airport with direct flights to 3 capitals. Can't imagine it would be a great place to live though.

What about Albury? Has a half decent venue already and an airport with direct flights to 3 capitals. Can't imagine it would be a great place to live though.

I thought of Albury, but it still means getting on a plane for games against the Melbourne teams, while most of the ones I've mentioned are a max of about two hours by road.

Following on from Taylor's idea, if we really wanted to do overseas for a stint, Singapore wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world.

I'll pad out the LA idea.

A game starting at 8pm in LA would be around 11am in Perth and I think about 1pm over East (but I'm trying to juggle different daylight savings).

I'd argue that a TV game would get better ratings in the US than a Dockers game would in Australia, and they already put us on around that timezone.

Friday Night 8pm Los Angeles, Saturday midday Australia.

Huge hard hitting game, crowd going wild for the violence of the game. Have the players literally tear the tops off each other after a scuffle. High flying marks, long punts. Speed and power. They will love it there.

Four weeks in a row, the sides that come to play us have their bye the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Chicago would be way better…not that I have any personal stake in this or could go to every “home” game…. It’s only a 25 hour flight to Melbourne. No big deal.

Seriously, the LA thing would never work. You’d be playing in sweltering 100F (38C) Southern California heat. Throw in climate change induced wild fires and drought and it’s not ideal conditions. I would rather they stay away. Plus we’re filled with ****ing nut jobs over here. Better to stay where it’s safer and more sane in Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I think Chicago would be way better…not that I have any personal stake in this or could go to every “home” game…. It’s only a 25 hour flight to Australia. No big deal.

I think it would be more cost effective for me to arrange to have you and the family delivered to Los Angeles instead.

If we had to relocate, from a tactical perspective Melbourne would be our best bet.
Lobby the AFL to rotate our games between MCG and Marvel, with a couple of games likely to be shuffled to Tassie and GC where conflicts occur with existing scheduling.

Gives the guys exposure to the G, reduces travel burden and with Marvel, protects us from those poor weather performances of late

I think we should just be based in Victoria. Gold Coast we would still need to travel so what’s the point.
I’d be trying to base ourselves in Victoria with the club angling to be playing all ‘away’ games until we run out of them. that said knowing the afl they’d probably insist on using doing the usual home/away/home etc

Because of the high numbers over east, will crowds be allowed to attend the games there?

Because of the high numbers over east, will crowds be allowed to attend the games there?
They’re letting it overcome them. The governments has just done a ‘free for all, work it yourself out’ plan. They’ve given up
I’d imagine, given how Victoria loves their football, they’ll just let full capacity this season. They definitely won’t do a 2019 and have lockouts

They’re letting it overcome them. The governments has just done a ‘free for all, work it yourself out’ plan. They’ve given up
I’d imagine, given how Victoria loves their football, they’ll just let full capacity this season. They definitely won’t do a 2019 and have lockouts
A government for the people I see

Our first 3 home games (ignoring the away derby) are against teams we double-up with (Saints, GWS, Carlton). So there is an opportunity to switch the H/A status of those 3 games and then we'd get to April 30 having played 7 away games and reassess what the situation is. If WA was to open up in say June, we could end the year with 9 out of the last 11 games at Optus.

But I bet that is too difficult for the VFL and they make us play "home" games in Melbourne or wherever to start the year, and we have to stick with being the away team later in the year.

I will flip out if we have to play Carlton in Melbourne twice again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back