Opinion Will there be any home games this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because of the high numbers over east, will crowds be allowed to attend the games there?
Yep there will be crowds everything is covid safe over here. We aren't going backwards.

I was at the cricket in Sydney and apart from when lining up for toilet, food or drinks where everyone just uses common sense and puts a mask and stays 1.5 m apart when possible there are no restrictions.

Latest health advice makes for interesting reading - https://www.wa.gov.au/system/files/2022-01/CHO-HA-190122.pdf

Gist is that delaying the opening any later than March becomes counterproductive due to the reduced efficacy for the early boosters.

For all McGowan's shit****ery, I think we're looking at March-April opening at the latest.

That’s trademarked by Ross.
But Jlo definitely has been trying to get a similar message across

Totally agree and love this attitude. You need to prepare mentally for the challenges a season throws at you. With Covid, it’s going to be “next man up” when someone has to quarantine. No excuses. Just win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If my boss called me in and told me I was moving to Victoria I'd resign on the spot.

It was only a week ago they had a 40,000+ covid day. WA's total is 1,338

There's more to life than football.

There is also more to life than Covid; most of my Victorian and Sydney friends have had very mild covid and are getting on with their lives and feel confident to get about, get on with work and have fun, whilst we keep locking ourselves up in a cupboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is also more to life than Covid; most of my Victorian and Sydney friends have had very mild covid and are getting on with their lives and feel confident to get about, get on with work and have fun, whilst we keep locking ourselves up in a cupboard.
Imagine accepting getting covid as the status quo.

Thread is premature. Likelihood of no home games is negligible. At a minimum they'll bring the derby forward prior to leaving the state.

Community spread may already be happening, if we start getting hundreds of cases per day then the there is no valid argument for keeping the border closed.

A lot will change in the next eight weeks.

I have been of the opinion for a long time that there will be no 2022 season.
I still see it that way. Another year, sadly of a club donation rather than a seat at Optus.
For what it's worth I think it will be a 17 game season and that we will at times see 16 on the field and 4 on the bench due to availability. The AFL has shown itself to be adaptable especially when it comes to survival. There won't be any travel restrictions, the WA Government's hand will be forced when the current (and escalating) outbreak makes the border policy redundant. It will be a matter of 4-5 weeks.

For what it's worth I think it will be a 17 game season and that we will at times see 16 on the field and 4 on the bench due to availability. The AFL has shown itself to be adaptable especially when it comes to survival. There won't be any travel restrictions, the WA Government's hand will be forced when the current (and escalating) outbreak makes the border policy redundant. It will be a matter of 4-5 weeks.
I understand your opinion, but
So we become a Mickey Mouse competition with 16 a side!!!
I don't see that happening, it would destroy the fabric of the competition.

Yeah, no worries but isn't the current draw and a final 8 a little Mickey Mouse-ish?

The VFA was 16 a side for 40 odd years, was called for by Alastair Clarkson a couple of years ago and the AFLW is 16 a side.

These are unprecedented times, I am sure the AFL would look at every option to keep the competition going if faced with the prospect insolvency and or a number of clubs going under were the season to be canned, which incidentally, wouldn't be too good for the 'fabric' of the competition, whatever that is.

Cheers ... I guess time will tell.

How do you Hub, when no others do and the virus is rampant everywhere?
It is a totally different situation to what it has been the last two years.
If WA clubs want, for example, to play their home games after first 4 matches on the road, they’d have no chance but to hub in order to come back and meet quarantine requirements

Yeah, no worries but isn't the current draw and a final 8 a little Mickey Mouse-ish?

The VFA was 16 a side for 40 odd years, was called for by Alastair Clarkson a couple of years ago and the AFLW is 16 a side.

These are unprecedented times, I am sure the AFL would look at every option to keep the competition going if faced with the prospect insolvency and or a number of clubs going under were the season to be canned, which incidentally, wouldn't be too good for the 'fabric' of the competition, whatever that is.

Couldn't clubs use 'top up' players?

West Coast Reserves did it last year when they didn't have enough players.

The AFL is NOT the VF. Two totally different competitions..
This is not a woman's competition. The rules for them were drawn up to allow the competition to begin.
The Aussie rules has always been, apart from the VFA, which, like the AFLW, set up different rules, run with an 18 man team on the ground.
Anything else is bastardising the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back