Analysis Bye Time - The Run Home Special

Remove this Banner Ad

The SA teams had a genuine 12 home games.

I mean if you want to count what it says in the AFL app that's great, not sure we even got any control over what happened at Adelaide Oval though.

I said at the beginning that it’s unfair as the SA teams get an extra home game, but people saying we missed out on a home game at home are wrong as we still get the same as we did before gather round. Whether the gather round game was designated a “home” game or “away” game is totally irrelevant

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I said at the beginning that it’s unfair as the SA teams get an extra home game, but people saying we missed out on a home game at home are wrong as we still get the same as we did before gather round. Whether the gather round game was designated a “home” game or “away” game is totally irrelevant

Sorry the GWS game is in Sydney, but we still get 12 home games at Optus just like we did last year

You need to count them again, the Adelaide teams actually get 13 games at home (1 more than pre gather round) and we get 12 as we always have

The main impact of Gather Round is more travel for us, and the SA teams get an extra home game.

I was just responding to the numbers you quoted. In hindsight if you were including the away derbies in the numbers for both us and SA then they make sense, but that wasn't how I interpreted "home" games.

None of which is important to our run home now.
It does feel like a weirder fixture than usual, part of it is playing both R1 and R24 (last round) at home too.
Wonder if we requested R24 at home, because with the pre-finals bye doesn't really seem like a big advantage.

The main impact of Gather Round is more travel for us, and the SA teams get an extra home game.

I was just responding to the numbers you quoted. In hindsight if you were including the away derbies in the numbers for both us and SA then they make sense, but that wasn't how I interpreted "home" games.

None of which is important to our run home now.
It does feel like a weirder fixture than usual, part of it is playing both R1 and R24 (last round) at home too.
Wonder if we requested R24 at home, because with the pre-finals bye doesn't really seem like a big advantage.

I think we are a very good chance next year to get that WA day holiday weekend when two Vic teams come over and play us and WC in consecutive weeks, so we both end up with an extra home game to square up with the SA teams. The AFl will sell it to the Vic teams that they only need to do every 5 years and that playing us here with 45k+ is better than having 25k in Melbourne for their home game. Also the AFL will like it as it’s means more $$ the only thing they think about. Our 5 home games at Optus have averaged a crowd of 47.5k this season, while our 3 Melbourne away games are only 23k.

We will play them in the GF, be 5 points down with 10 seconds to go, Michael Walters will get his first high tackle free for the year and kick truly.

Carlton fans will burn down Exhibition Hall

12 at Optus and 10 interstate was tough before but adding another interstate game is unacceptable. I'm expecting 13 games in Perth next year, not sure how the AFL makes that work we'll find out in the spring.

We will play them in the GF, be 5 points down with 10 seconds to go, Michael Walters will get his first high tackle free for the year and kick truly.

Carlton fans will burn down Exhibition Hall

The free kick count for the day is 72 to 1, their way but all the talk will be about the last free kick.

I am totally bewildered by the bye.
It has me befuddled.
How can you have a bye wheny you haven't even played a game.We have come off 5 months or so of pre season. So how can club have a bye under those circumstances?
Smoke and mirrors.
We are amongst the last of the club to get a REAL BYE.Most club by(E) this stage have had their secon bye.
Pre bye, we travelled to the Centre of Australia, to play an away game, post bye we travel to Melbourne to play another away game.
Later we travel to the deep South to Antarctica to play a Melbourne based team.How does that work?
I just wonder what is really in there for the Fremantle Dockers.What have we received, what are we likely to receive in the future for getting the rough end of the pineapple inserted..once again.
The AFL have made it clear that the opening round, not round one, willl once again be used next season. The Gather Round will once again be used.
So where does that leave Fremantle? Are we to be shafted yet again.
The AFL spoke off handledly ,after Fremantle complained, about how they were treated. Throwing thought bubbles into the air and watching them blow away with out making any real promises. A lot of airy fairy stuff. A lot of fluff no substance.
Maybe they are working on the assumption that if they leave it long enough, it will all be forgotten.
I am eagerly awaiting to hear from Dillon and Kane as to what crumb they may want to throw our way.
I just hope that the Fremantle leadership pusue the AFL and hound them to death to gain something out of the next round of byes.

The free kick count for the day is 72 to 1, their way but all the talk will be about the last free kick.
Yes, and the free kick to Walters will itself be the result of a high tackle that leaves Walters with a blood nose, a black eye that lasts for weeks, and lacerations across his face, but the slight turn of the head Walters does before contact will be analysed like footage of the JFK assassination to answer the question “did he duck?”

Last edited:
Yes, and the free kick to Walters will itself be the result of a high tackle that leaves Walters with a blood nose, a black eye that lasts for weeks, and lacerations across his face, but the slight turn of the head Walters does before contact will be analysed like footage of the JFK assassination to answer the question “did he duck?”
Meanwhile up the other end Luke Ryan accidentally casts a sideways glance at Charlie Curnow and is immediately penalised a free for a jumper tug and then a 50m penalty for daring to breathe whilst standing on the mark

I'm just glad the bye is over, but yet another round without an Optus game - grrr
And to make matters worst they fixture Peel playing at 1PM to clash with the us v Bulldogs after no games last weekend , honestly is WAFL admin run by idiots Why not play it Sunday or at worst 3 pm kick off on the Sat ?
Plus i think no AFL at optus this weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to make matters worst they fixture Peel playing at 1PM to clash with the us v Bulldogs after no games last weekend , honestly is WAFL admin run by idiots Why not play it Sunday or at worst 3 pm kick off on the Sat ?
that's bad timing as well!

Floating AFL fixture probably doesn’t help this but that’s still giving the WAFC too much credit

it was such an awesome night - Gill was down from the US

I was there too with Salim Malik and Seppo. We were all out the back in the courtyard area when we were all asked to move inside because “Before the Game” were going to do a live cross and comedy sketch there involving Gerard Neesham driving the purple bus across the Nullarbor and arriving at the pub.

I’m pretty sure Fitzy was there dressed as the Phantom.

Ahhhhh……the memories!!!!

I am totally bewildered by the bye.
It has me befuddled.
How can you have a bye wheny you haven't even played a game.We have come off 5 months or so of pre season. So how can club have a bye under those circumstances?
Smoke and mirrors.
We are amongst the last of the club to get a REAL BYE.Most club by(E) this stage have had their secon bye.
Pre bye, we travelled to the Centre of Australia, to play an away game, post bye we travel to Melbourne to play another away game.

There wasn't a game on the Sunday of opening round. I wonder if the club has suggested a Derby or 2 games in Perth on the Sunday of Opening Round? That way the WA teams get 2 byes.

I was there too with Salim Malik and Seppo. We were all out the back in the courtyard area when we were all asked to move inside because “Before the Game” were going to do a live cross and comedy sketch there involving Gerard Neesham driving the purple bus across the Nullarbor and arriving at the pub.

I’m pretty sure Fitzy was there dressed as the Phantom.

Ahhhhh……the memories!!!!
I remember meeting you! What has happened to Seppo?

It is interesting listening to the Melbourne media are beinning to refer to club who have TWO byes and those with one.
The wheel is beginning to spin against the AFLs way of thinking.
I think the wool is slowly being pulled off the eyes of tother siders journos.
Dillon and Kane, no not Cornes, are maybe beginning to squirm, in what used to be comfortable chairs.
Great interview tonight on 7 with Garlic.

Damn if I thought the team had figured this out. Obviously not. That’s 3 years in a row where we have come back diabolical after going into the bye being the talk of the town and on the up.

Was anyone else surprised to see all the photos booze in hand as they all got away for a few days? I thought that was a big part was f why we kept screwing up after the bye, no?!

I actually thought the guys would have (rather than take days off drinking and doing whatever) used the time to focus, gel, bond etc. Sounds like the only change was reducing the days away, but you’d have to argue the damage was still done after days of mentally and intentionally switching off.

My brain says the secret lies in what good teams do when they win a Prelim and “earn” a week off prior to the GF. It’s seen as advantageous and rewarding!! I bet those teams don’t get out on the p1$$ for the first 4 days as they focus on the big one.

All for them taking a mental break but hell, they get more days off than the majority per annum and are paid very very well to basically stay fit and play a game every weekend for a shade over half a year. Is a mental break worth the mental hell of what we keep doing to ourselves for 3 years in a row?

Anyway. Rant over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back