Williams Dropped!

Remove this Banner Ad

Even with Williams being out of form Grant Thomas stil would of put Hudgton or Magurie on him, which are Saints best defenders. Williams is a guy you cant leave with a poor backliner on cos he can pop up and kick a bag. We could of had Williams decoy lead all day just to free it up for Franklin. I think Williams deserved one or two more weeks in the seniors before he got dropped.

medusala said:
How often do Williams and Dixon play well together? Wasnt it at the end of last year when Dixon started to kick a few that Williams was out of the team?

How often do Williams and Dixon play alongside Croad, Franklin & Barker?

Would have caused the saints a few matchup issues at a minimum.

This response is aimed at those posters who labelled this decision a disgrace.

I wasn't expecting it, but if Williams wasn't doing some of the things that are expected of him (chasing, tackling, second efforts) then surely dropping him is the only way to learn.

Remember when he was on the mark and his opponent was 50 out, and he just walked off his mark and his opponent kicked an open goal. He was lucky not to get dropped for that. He hasn't improved much since then in his effort, and is definately missing his spark... i'm all for it.

People were saying it was disgraceful leaving Franklin in Box Hill for so long, and his second efforts chasing tackling were superb when he came back... oh and he kicked 6 goals as well.

People want coaches to be strict on players, make the tough decisions and make players accountable, and then when they do... people complain?

I heard so many times from so many posters how they were sick of hearing Clarkson's press conferences about how its just because of young players we were losing etc... and how they wanted action rather than words. Well here is action, he obviously is very harsh on players, and strict, and he is some enforcement of these rules.

Its a little bit annoying hearing posters preaching for action, and performances not been acceptable, then when something gets done about it the coach gets blamed for doing something 'disgraceful' when he is actually making the hard decision.

Lets face it - the last few weeks Williams has been poor in comparison to the very high standards his previous performances have set him. Just think back to the Freo game in Round 1 where he devastated them with some superb leading, marking and kicking - 8 goals.

He is not at the races at the minute and needs to be incentivised a bit as he's been in a lull for too many weeks now. With our struggling young side, we need our best players giving 100% if we are going to get the few wins that give us a fighting chance to finals footy at the end of the season.

This spell in the VFL could go one of two ways though: 1. He has a good couple of games for them, kicks a ton and effort levels are duly raised, or 2. He sulks, the head goes down and his form worsens.

If he is a proper professional then lets hope that its number 1.

Clarkson has done what he had to do IMHO.

i actually thought this might have had to have been an option earlier in the week with all the players coming back and willo being in perhaps the worst form at the moment, but i admit i expected all the players crawf and everitt aswell to come back in if we were going to have to drop willo

Probably the first gutsy call by AC in a long time. With injuries we have been struggling to pick a side. Willo was a good choice and has not been playing well.

If AC has only dropped kids that would have been the soft call. You cannot have it both ways. We need a tough coach and we have got one.

cschreuder61 said:
This response is aimed at those posters who labelled this decision a disgrace.

I wasn't expecting it, but if Williams wasn't doing some of the things that are expected of him (chasing, tackling, second efforts) then surely dropping him is the only way to learn.

Remember when he was on the mark and his opponent was 50 out, and he just walked off his mark and his opponent kicked an open goal. He was lucky not to get dropped for that. He hasn't improved much since then in his effort, and is definately missing his spark... i'm all for it.

People were saying it was disgraceful leaving Franklin in Box Hill for so long, and his second efforts chasing tackling were superb when he came back... oh and he kicked 6 goals as well.

People want coaches to be strict on players, make the tough decisions and make players accountable, and then when they do... people complain?

I heard so many times from so many posters how they were sick of hearing Clarkson's press conferences about how its just because of young players we were losing etc... and how they wanted action rather than words. Well here is action, he obviously is very harsh on players, and strict, and he is some enforcement of these rules.

Its a little bit annoying hearing posters preaching for action, and performances not been acceptable, then when something gets done about it the coach gets blamed for doing something 'disgraceful' when he is actually making the hard decision.

002TopPostLogo.jpg

philhawk said:
Admittedly there are a couple of other passengers like Bateman who also don't deserve a spot on form, but I for one an glad that Clarkson is trying to make the players aware of the fact that there are no certainties in the team selection - of course bar Ries. :mad:

I must be watching a different side than you, because week after week I see Bateman chasing down and tackling players who would otherwise get a run through space. True, he could do more with the ball once he gets it, but in defence this guy is an absolute pit-bull who wants nothing more than drag players to the ground. Never afraid to put his body on the line. I like him. :thumbsu:

As for dropping Williams for being "out of form". The whole side has been out of form! In fact, the two guys that were IN form have been dropped to make way for our leadership group. That's fine, and I agree we need the big guns back in the side, but how can Williams perform without the side around him doing the same. We wont know until tomorrow whether it was the right decision or not, but I'm tenatative about it.

Will be a great test of his mental character, I hope he bounces back better for the lesson (and that what I think it is).

I get the impression he may have become a little bit to comfortable with his position in the team and has been floating a bit for the last couple of weeks, which has been reflected in his recent performances.

Willo will be back better than ever, both barrells firing :thumbsu:

Stop the sooking, lads.

I have no problem with a coach sending the message that noone is safe, and given Williams combined prolonged poor form, and dodgy attitude of late, you have to support the coach on this one.

That aside, one of Hawthorn's numerous forward structure woes in recent times has been the relative folly of playing Williams and Dixon on the same forward line. By doing this, you are effectively doubling-up on a pair of similarly styled non-talls. Its hardly surprising that much of Dixon's better form occurs when he plays at FF, which he will do this weekend, regardless of what the team list says.

I much prefer Williams as a player, but Dixon has shown more of late, while Williams has shown little.

Its time to end the coach bashing, lets just hope the side performs well on Saturday.

Bold move by Clarkson, one which i totally agree with. Why should any out of form player, who is also not doing the basics (chasing, tackling, applying pressure) stay in the side.
Last week i must have read 100+ posts saying how it was the kids who got us over the line against Richmond. They all put in done the 1%ers and it paid off.
We are still developing, We know Willo is a great player when he's up and about, right now he's flat so Box Hill time won't hurt him. If he does get a run in the middle it will raise his fittness levels it can only help. Whilest this is happening an inform kid keeps his place and grows confidence and gains experience.

Great move Clarko :thumbsu:

P.S. Get Off Nick Ries back he's given a chance so far he has taken it and deserves to keep his spot in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nightwolf_69 said:
This could very well spell the end of him at our club if this is the case, in which i hope is not.
Can we all just take a step back people. He has been ordinary. He is paid to kick goals which he hasn't been doing. He is one of the quickest guys in the team when there's a goal in sight, but slow as a wet week when it comes to chasing an opponent.

He has been dropped, so what. It has been happening for 100 years. If football has got to the point where you can't drop an out of form player for fear of him not signing another contract then I'll give the game away.

Nightwolf_69 said:
We wont see Williams for 3+ weeks. We all know hes going to do nothing with the delivery Box Hill will give him..
Is he really THAT good then ? Good footballers find the ball themselves. If he needs it on a platter to play well, then have we been p**sing in his pocket for a bit too long ?

Even good players get dropped. It's the REALLY GOOD players that fight back

Guys, this whole thread smacks of top quality posts.
The arguements have been passionate and strongly supported by good, common sense opinions.
Great banter! More of it please!

This is for EVERYONE!

002TopPostLogo.jpg

:D :thumbsu:

hyperswivel said:
I must be watching a different side than you, because week after week I see Bateman chasing down and tackling players who would otherwise get a run through space. True, he could do more with the ball once he gets it, but in defence this guy is an absolute pit-bull who wants nothing more than drag players to the ground. Never afraid to put his body on the line. I like him. :thumbsu:

Sure his defence has been mediocre, verging on good, but he cant have just that warranting his position in the team? The Bateman who started off last year has set the standard that people (like myself :p) expect from him on a consistent basis.

hyperswivel said:
As for dropping Williams for being "out of form". The whole side has been out of form! In fact, the two guys that were IN form have been dropped to make way for our leadership group. That's fine, and I agree we need the big guns back in the side, but how can Williams perform without the side around him doing the same. We wont know until tomorrow whether it was the right decision or not, but I'm tenatative about it.

Don't be. Ask others have posted around here, Clarkson's decision was a good one. I was watching Fox League Teams yesterday and Wayne Schwass said how he queried Clarksons decision to drop Williams as "Hughton isn't the most well renowned defender and having Williams play on him might just get him back into some form." I'm suprised that Piggy didn't pick up on it, but on the other foot, imagine what Williams confidence will be like if he didn't do well on Hughton then? I don't expect Williams exclusion to be a long term thing, but at least this way it allows for Williams to get his act together on the pitch and perhaps just give a little bit more off it as well.

Mappa said:
Can we all just take a step back people. He has been ordinary. He is paid to kick goals which he hasn't been doing. He is one of the quickest guys in the team when there's a goal in sight, but slow as a wet week when it comes to chasing an opponent.

He has been dropped, so what. It has been happening for 100 years. If football has got to the point where you can't drop an out of form player for fear of him not signing another contract then I'll give the game away.

Is he really THAT good then ? Good footballers find the ball themselves. If he needs it on a platter to play well, then have we been p**sing in his pocket for a bit too long ?

Even good players get dropped. It's the REALLY GOOD players that fight back

I understand all this who-ha about his lack of chasing etc. But the consistency really bugs with AC. Hes obviously got his favourites.

Ladson has been crap for weeks, never even looked in doubt. (He played well against Richmond tho)...

Ries has held on to a spot that only suggests he has photos of Clarkson..

Guerra was playing the poor footy that had me labelling him as the worst player in the league last year, misses 3 weeks and is an automatic inclusion :eek: Youve got to be kidding me..

Then youve got Dixon last year, probably a mirror image of Williams the majority of this year, but he always seemed to find a spot in the side each week.

Osborne (although inured) and Vandenberg are another example. Hell, even Everitt has been crap this year...

The fact that the bloke still can take a major backman away from the young fellas or Croad up forward helps even more. And 33 goals for the year is still a fair effort.

I dont agree with Clarkson at all..

If Williams played Croad would be able to play back and with our backline having no height, Coad could bolster the backline. Now Roughead has to play on Gehrig and who is going to play on Riewoldt? Smith is too small, and all others are running backmen and with Willo in the team it meant that Croad could go back and still not let down our goalkicking strengths

Nightwolf, every coach has their favourites and their dislikes. Wouldnt be human if they didnt.

Agree with Ladson and I add Ries to that group.

With Vanders coming back Ries should be sent back to BH.

Guerra - you couldnt miss an opportunity for a guy kicked out by his former team to play against them.... look what Jon Hay did against us this year. His only good game for North, both then and now.

Also agree about Dixon being a mirror of Williams BUT this is why Willo out isnt going to hurt us. I fully expect Dixon to start each centre bounce right on the goal line, like he did against the Bullies and I hope like the bullies (with a better overall team result) he kicks 5 again.

Truly great to see Dixon playing were the guy likes best and was always recruited for, being a KPP forward.

I support AC on this decision and lets see how the game progresses.

RustyHawk said:
Nightwolf, every coach has their favourites and their dislikes. Wouldnt be human if they didnt.

Agree with Ladson and I add Ries to that group.

With Vanders coming back Ries should be sent back to BH.

Guerra - you couldnt miss an opportunity for a guy kicked out by his former team to play against them.... look what Jon Hay did against us this year. His only good game for North, both then and now.

Also agree about Dixon being a mirror of Williams BUT this is why Willo out isnt going to hurt us. I fully expect Dixon to start each centre bounce right on the goal line, like he did against the Bullies and I hope like the bullies (with a better overall team result) he kicks 5 again.

Truly great to see Dixon playing were the guy likes best and was always recruited for, being a KPP forward.

I support AC on this decision and lets see how the game progresses.

Good point. I completely forgot about that point in particular.

I agree, he has not done the 1%er's for weeks and this doesn't set an example to the rest of the boys when a passenger is amongst them.
Good decision, love Willo but there is no "I" in TEAM it's as simple as that......

I heard that Dunstall said on Fox that Williams was accepting that decision to drop him and that there is no problems with Clarkson. Dunstall is a director of Hawthorn and he knows alot about football so l am sure that he agrees with Clarkson that Willians is out-of-form and needs to kick a few bags at Box Hill befor they put him back in the seniors.

Clarkson os a top coach and has been proved right when he made Dawson play on rocca and Thomson and have a few bags kicked on him, now look at him, he is killing them at Box Hill and is turning into a gun centre half back. Its all part of Clarkons plan to make us a premiership team so that means Wilo needs to go back to Box Hill. He made Buddy and Lewis go back to box Hill so we can expect that there will be more kids getting dropped to make them better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams Dropped!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back