Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

After his initial calf strain the only official reasons I have heard to explain Rioli's prolonged absence have been 'illness' for the Brisbane game then 'personal reasons' for missing last week's SANFL game against North Adelaide.
Thats interesting, because he was a late out for his calf against Brisbane.

Was named in the extended squad but not the 22 against St Kilda due to illness.

Apparently Willie has been up to his old tricks on social media. I haven't seen his tweets or whatever but reliable sources say they were over the top. The Club have kept a lid on what is alleged to have happened. I am with those who are dumbfounded that the media are not all over this.

This is a really sad state of affairs because Willie was just starting to show his value. He booted 10.6 in four matches prior to injury.

First Georgiades is the club's worst goal kicker in 60 years and now this. Club is falling to bits.

I wouldn't be expecting Rioli to be coming back via the sanfl. I thought he'd be a walk up starter after a calf strain or illness.
He's missed too much time, they already had him listed in the SANFL side last week as well.

He's missed too much time, they already had him listed in the SANFL side last week as well.

If he played last week, he would have been out for three games but four weeks due to bye, although he didn't play a lot in the game that he was injured. Fair enough. It can be player by player basis. Sinn skipped sanfl after about a three week break.

Last edited:
Hey when he did his calf did he actually do something? I vaguely recall it being quit a nothing event. Just wondering if they do game day testing I wonder how long results take to be returned?

Hey when he did his calf did he actually do something? I vaguely recall it being quit a nothing event. Just wondering if they do game day testing I wonder how long results take to be returned?

The calf was legit.

Should have been 2 weeks Max though so whatever it is has flared up in that 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the WC talk over the last 24 hours, I've seen the Dom Sheed GF match winner clip a few times. One thing I'd never noticed is how big a part Rioli played in that contest. He was 1 on 1 with Maynard - and Maynard clearly should've gotten to Sheed to make a contest and spoil the ball. Rioli's positioning and bodywork to keep Maynard from impacting the contest was a thing of beauty. Such a natural footballer. A joy to watch.

Just to point out, we're coming up to the 2 year anniversary of his fathers death (12/7/22)

There is a possibility that "personal reasons" last week had something to do with that, rather than something more sinister.

They have certain traditions and rituals etc. or he could just be going through a tough time leading to the anniversary. No doubt being unable to play over the past month or so could be adding to his mental load.

Just to point out, we're coming up to the 2 year anniversary of his fathers death (12/7/22)

There is a possibility that "personal reasons" last week had something to do with that, rather than something more sinister.

They have certain traditions and rituals etc. or he could just be going through a tough time leading to the anniversary. No doubt being unable to play over the past month or so could be adding to his mental load.
Good observation. I think you are probably right.

Excellent post.

Dealing with family or personal issues for any player, let alone Indigenous players living away from their communities, are things that AFL clubs have learned to understand and respect far better than they have in the past.

PAFC handled Willie's mourning period for the anniversary of the loss of his dad, Willie Sr, in July last year with silence and respect. He's a dad with 2 young kids and I would think the same respect is being shown here, whatever the issues are.

Excellent post.

Dealing with family or personal issues for any player, let alone Indigenous players living away from their communities, are things that AFL clubs have learned to understand and respect far better than they have in the past.

PAFC handled Willie's mourning period for the anniversary of the loss of his dad, Willie Sr, in July last year with silence and respect. He's a dad with 2 young kids and I would think the same respect is being shown here, whatever the issues are.

But that doesn't fit in with the general
tone of the board.
Just catching up on a few threads:
Apparently Chad and Charlie are gay, Ken was being sacked today and Willie has been on a month long drug binge.....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But that doesn't fit in with the general
tone of the board.
Just catching up on a few threads:
Apparently Chad and Charlie are gay, Ken was being sacked today and Willie has been on a month long drug binge.....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wait, chad and charlie are gay?

Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back