Willy v Sandringham

Remove this Banner Ad

Willy very impressive. As above, Hill and Aker very ordinary. I left early in the last, but at that stage Little has maybe 6, Hooper 4, Jones took 2 pack marks in the square within about 2 mins in the third. Everitt was vey good.

Sandringham 2.2 4.3 6.6 8.7 (55)
Williamstown 5.2 10.5 14.10 17.15 (117)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Sautner 5 Tregear Walsh Magner
Williamstown: Little 7 Hooper 4 Rose 2 Jones 2 Stack Johnson

BEST:
Sandringham: Gallagher Walsh Smith Hardiman Gaertner Lynch
Williamstown: Jolley Little Stack Stretton Callan Hooper

2010 VFL Reserves

Sandringham 4.1 6.6 9.8 11.10 (76)
Williamstown 2.0 6.1 10.3 16.8 (104)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Boland 6 McBain STAPLETON Fleming Ambrose Meehan
Williamstown: Tanner 4 Mulligan 2 Tutt 2 Panos 2 German Fenton Cartelli Sing Purton-Smith McHarg

BEST:
Sandringham: Gower Hallahan Geary Ambrose Allan Waller
Williamstown: Prato Carr Grossman Howard Tanner Mulligan

No. Looked Ok though. Can't believe Everitt not in the best.

And Tom Williams...I would have given Tommy BOG. He did as he pleased, absolutely dominated. He even went into the ruck in the last and killed it. Everitt was good as well and should have been in the best. Stack was reasonable. Addison was good. Aker and Hill had stinkers. Eagle didn't do a lot but wasn't bad. Roughy did reasonably well against King. Moles looked classy at times but occassionally overdid it. Callan was OK but I wouldn't have had him in the best. Jones took a couple of real strong grabs and showed some good promise. Boumann looked good early and did some good promising things.

willy won by a fair margin...stack was one of the best...aker and hill very very quiet

Did you get to the game? I was a bit disappointed in Stack and was surprised that he was named as one of the better players so I would enjoy reading differing view on his performance.

Where did Aker play? A 17 goal game and he didn't even get 1? Must have been a real stinker, another few weeks at Willy might be needed.

Can't agree with your logic but either way wasn't the plan to play him 2 weeks at Williamstown?

FWIW, I think he he started off the bench before spending some time forward and on the ball. Took some nice contested marks and made some strong tackles but he was never going to get a lot of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the last half, I was surprised by the confident manner that stack attacked the ball and was involved in the play. He was getting to many contests and marking on the lead and showing fleet of foot. Overall he seems to have gained some tricks. Aker could not get to contests, he did not get a touch for the whole third quarter. Hill was the same. Moles was doing the hard stuff on the Sandy play maker (42 I think) but I am biased to Moles as I think he should be auto in the firsts. Eagle did what eagle does.

Roughy was good as was Tom.

He may not look like an AFL player but we could do worse for a crumbing forward than Hooper, he was very very honest and could take Gias place.

He may not look like an AFL player but we could do worse for a crumbing forward than Hooper, he was very very honest and could take Gias place.

I'll assume that was a typo as I can't believe someone would suggest to replace Gia who has been in best 6-7 players this year for a no game rookie when Hahn has and is playing every week in the form he is in.

For those caning Aker's game, Peter German seemed pretty happy with his effort:

Despite playing a low-key game compared with Williamstown midfielder Ben Jolley’s 42 disposals, Akermanis received praise from Bulldogs development coach Peter German.
"He had a player basically one foot from him all day," the Williamstown coach said.
"I think if we put a GPS on him, you’d be happy with his numbers because he actually did work hard.
"There were countless times where he was instructed to play a sacrificial role as well to work with the team and he did that. We’re trying to judge intent and work-rate rather than the end result and I thought both of those areas, he got a tick today.’’

I'll assume that was a typo as I can't believe someone would suggest to replace Gia who has been in best 6-7 players this year for a no game rookie when Hahn has and is playing every week in the form he is in.

I think bulldog is talking more long term after Gia is gone.

With the compromised draft this year Hooper would have to be a very good chance to get promoted to the senior list, may be fighting it out with Moles.

Hooper-Very good
Everitt-Looked to good for vfl
Moles-Ready to go straight in
Williams-played a fantastic game never beaten 1 on 1
Aker-Taged all game ????? what was that put in and will get better
Roughead-Straight in for Minson
Hill-not interested
Stack-was ok without being a standout
Addison-was good
Callam-was for mine best afield
Jones-I think he is going to be the key in the future!Grant will not shoot for goal from 45 this guy will make the change Rocket!!!!!

Also saw the seconds and Prato will be an AFL footballer-very good player.

Tutt lookes polished needs size though
Howard looks fantastic alot bigger than i thought he was amazing skills stands out should play seniors next week for sure

Saw some of the Seconds and whole of Firsts.
Liked the way Howard read the play and set up some forward moves. He's just a 6 footer, not partic quick but he seems to understand positioning and delivers the ball well. Mulligan took some good grabs but is a fair way off AFL standard IMO. Panos kicked a couple but should be a bit more dominant at this level - still developing.

In the Seniors, to be honest, I thought that most of the Bulldogs listed players were solid but a bit uninspiring.
Addison had one of his quieter days.
Acker was heavily tagged from first bounce and couldn't find space for most of the day.
Hill was typically Hill. He was trying to get more involved but drifted in and out.
Stack looked classy at times and attacked the ball well - not convinced about promoting him on that performance though.
Everitt played mostly at half back, was a solid contributor and was a link man running off the back half. One of the better Bulldogs.
Moles gets the ball a lot, is a top grade VFL player but can't see him pushing out others in the Bulldogs side.
I liked the way Jones moves around - he shows intent and a bit of energy. Still pretty green but there's potential there to develop - a tick for him.
Eagle was servicable, provided a link but should be more dominant at this level.
Williams was solid, beat his opponent after a shaky start. May get promoted this week due to injuries and matchups.
Roughead had slightly the better of King. Like the way he contests with second efforts, hopefully following in Huddos footsteps. Will do a good job if promoted for Will.

This probably all sounds a bit underwhelming but that's the way I saw it. Frankly, it was the Willy boys who stood out more: Ben Jolley, Brett Johnson, Stretton and of course Matt Little. Of the 7 goals he kicked, the goal umpire moved either foot only once as the balls sailed over his head splitting the middle. This guy is just a brilliant mark-on-the-lead forward. Smart!

Cheers.

Sorry, missed a few earlier.
Tiller looked a bit slow early and was beaten a few times. Worked his way into the game as it progressed and looked OK. Not promotable on that display.
Boumann - saw him play at Willy a few weeks back and thought he was very good. I think he may have missed one or two due to injury and now seems a bit starved of opportunity with Tiller, Everitt and now Williams playing similar roles. Not sure where he goes from here.
Hooper - interesting player, great goal sense. Probably running about second in Willy's goal kicking. Doesn't look like a league player but then again neither did Libber. Like to see him given more opportunities as an on-baller rather than permanent forward pocket type. Could he be half as good as Libber? That'd do!

For those caning Aker's game, Peter German seemed pretty happy with his effort:

Despite playing a low-key game compared with Williamstown midfielder Ben Jolley’s 42 disposals, Akermanis received praise from Bulldogs development coach Peter German.
"He had a player basically one foot from him all day," the Williamstown coach said.
"I think if we put a GPS on him, you’d be happy with his numbers because he actually did work hard.
"There were countless times where he was instructed to play a sacrificial role as well to work with the team and he did that. We’re trying to judge intent and work-rate rather than the end result and I thought both of those areas, he got a tick today.’’

not sure what game German was at.

Aker looked terrible, totally lost and had plenty of space. If he was tagged it is about as loose a tag as you could get. I remarked to a mate that it is hard to see how he could get back to AFL level. Stephen King the same, in fact if possible worse.

Tell you who looked a million dollars was Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Willy v Sandringham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back