Live Event Windows Outage Event - Can't buy food. Can't fly to Bali...

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd think they'd have them in a key escrow or a backup secrets manager somewhere.
That they might be locked out of as well
You'd think. Unless that's their next project just after this anti-malware update...
I'd say 95% of company wouldn't have a clue what they're doing most of the time

The big thing at the moment is airgapped recovery environments, but most places don't have them yet

And they don't protect everything, it's all app data not end user compute

This has hit end user compute hard

You were warned what would happen if the whole world went digital.

You went full digital. Never go full digital.
We're not full digital and the issue is capitalism not computers Marc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like it's the Crowdstrike update specifically affecting Azure VM'S, not Windows servers generally. It will be interesting to see how a buggy patch got through. Got a laugh at MS advice.

'Microsoft's top piece of advice to fix your broken Azure VMs is to turn them off and on again - repeatedly. No, even more than that.'

Looks like it's the Crowdstrike update specifically affecting Azure VM'S, not Windows servers generally. It will be interesting to see how a buggy patch got through. Got a laugh at MS advice.

'Microsoft's top piece of advice to fix your broken Azure VMs is to turn them off and on again - repeatedly. No, even more than that.'

Their main advice is restore from backup

The reboot 15 times is probably related to triggering a last known good configuration rollback as a possible quick fix now that crowdstrike aren't pushing out a brick patch

Just in case anyone's still affected you can go to C:\Windows\System32drivers\CrowdStrike and delete a file from th 19th(yesterday) that looks like C-00000291*.sys

Having said that, I didn't have one that matched, so I deleted the next closest, which was C-00000029.sys, which fixed my login loop. I also had the Bitlocker ****up from Microsoft this morning, which made it more annoying.

Have you ever deleted an important file which proved too hard to get back?
How about a whole virtual server (yes I put my hand up for that)?

Spare a thought for unisuper who’s entire cloud based system got deleted (oops!)

Last edited:
That they might be locked out of as well

I'd say 95% of company wouldn't have a clue what they're doing most of the time

The big thing at the moment is airgapped recovery environments, but most places don't have them yet

And they don't protect everything, it's all app data not end user compute

This has hit end user compute hard
Reckon there's a bit of bluff and bluster in the IT industry

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event Windows Outage Event - Can't buy food. Can't fly to Bali...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back