Wines v Macrae

Who is the better player currently?

• Macrae

Votes: 151 64.0%
  • Wines

Votes: 85 36.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

His versatile attributes set him apart though.

Just no. Even most Melbourne supporters admit the gap has closed a fair bit.
Meh, wines is an inside mid that can play forward, Marcrae is the opposite.. it's quite a strange comparison.

It hasn't. Hogan is a KPF that in every year to date has kicked over 40 goals a season. Boyd hasn't even kicked 17 goals in a season before. You look at the players side by side, hogan destroys Body in nearly every stat (especially the ones relevant to a KPF)

Sure boyd has a great grand final and deserves everything, but hogan is a superior player by far.

Meh, wines is an inside mid that can play forward, Marcrae is the opposite.. it's quite a strange comparison.

It hasn't. Hogan is a KPF that in every year to date has kicked over 40 goals a season. Boyd hasn't even kicked 17 goals in a season before. You look at the players side by side, hogan destroys Body in nearly every stat (especially the ones relevant to a KPF)

Sure boyd has a great grand final and deserves everything, but hogan is a superior player by far.
Macrae is an inside/outside midfielder that can play just about anywhere on the ground. He's clearly a more valuable footballer than Wines.

As for Hogan vs Boyd, it just shows you have no idea. If Hogan were playing second ruck all his career up to this point, something tells me his KPF numbers wouldn't be nearly as high as they are. Boyd showed in the finals he doesn't need to be a KPF to have a big influence on matches. Again, even Melbourne supporters acknowledge the gap has closed a fair bit; you're one of the few living in the past.

You'll find that Macrae spends a lot of time on the half forward flank. Yes he doesn't kick a lot of goals (wish he kicked more) but does set up a lot of our forward thrusts with his gut running and positioning. You'll find Macrae will have a possession in the D50 and then still be involved in the play 100-120m further up the field. Very underrated. Macrae, Hunter and Caleb Daniel are essentially our link up players who roam in diagonal patterns across the ground.

Macrae is an inside/outside midfielder that can play just about anywhere on the ground. He's clearly a more valuable footballer than Wines.

As for Hogan vs Boyd, it just shows you have no idea. If Hogan were playing second ruck all his career up to this point, something tells me his KPF numbers wouldn't be nearly as high as they are. Boyd showed in the finals he doesn't need to be a KPF to have a big influence on matches. Again, even Melbourne supporters acknowledge the gap has closed a fair bit; you're one of the few living in the past.
Depends on the need of the team. Right now wines is far more valuable for port than macrae would be as we need more inside midfielders that get then all out and are able to hit the scoreboard, rather than a mostly outside mid who sets up the goals (who port have).

As for hogan, you are the classic case of short term football memory. I remember the talk around Toby Thurstans after the 2004 grand final, seems very similar. Yes he played a good game (albeit a very important one). That's okay though lots of people do what you do. Come back this time next year.. let me know your opinion then.

Depends on the need of the team. Right now wines is far more valuable for port than macrae would be as we need more inside midfielders that get then all out and are able to hit the scoreboard, rather than a mostly outside mid who sets up the goals (who port have).

As for hogan, you are the classic case of short term football memory. I remember the talk around Toby Thurstans after the 2004 grand final, seems very similar. Yes he played a good game (albeit a very important one). That's okay though lots of people do what you do. Come back this time next year.. let me know your opinion then.

Don't underestimate how important Macrae is to the dogs lineup. Both players are guns but I wouldn't swap Macrae for Wines.

Also, you have completely missed dmans point. Boyd has been playing a predominate Ruck/Fwd role, so obviously any stats relevant to KPF will favour Hogan.

Don't underestimate how important Macrae is to the dogs lineup. Both players are guns but I wouldn't swap Macrae for Wines.

Also, you have completely missed dmans point. Boyd has been playing a predominate Ruck/Fwd role, so obviously any stats relevant to KPF will favour Hogan.
Exactly what I am saying, who is more valuable and important of the pair will vary from team to team, depending on team needs, structure and gameplan. Macrae is more valuable to the Bulldogs than wines would be, and wines is more valuable to port than Macrae would be

And yet he only avg 8 hitout, meanwhile hogan avg more disposals, kicks, marks, effective disposals, scoring involvement, goal assist etc... Boyd even averages more clangers than Hogan... I don't wanna disappoint you but Boyd is no where near Hogan at this stage. Hogan is a proven performer over multiple seasons, Boyd is not.

I don't buy the whole "Wines is more important to the power than Macrae is to the dogs so he's better".

Nathan Jones has been more important to the Dees than most mids to their own teams over the last decade but I can name 20+ better midfielders over that period.

I don't buy the whole "Wines is more important to the power than Macrae is to the dogs so he's better".

Nathan Jones has been more important to the Dees than most mids to their own teams over the last decade but I can name 20+ better midfielders over that period.
See the problem is you didn't read.

Exactly what I am saying, who is more valuable and important of the pair will vary from team to team, depending on team needs, structure and gameplan. Macrae is more valuable to the Bulldogs than wines would be, and wines is more valuable to port than Macrae would be.
I never said because wines is more important to port that means he is better, in fact I said macrae is more important to the Bulldogs than wines would be.

I get that he's an inside mid, and they're not always afforded as much time when getting rid of the ball, but Wines' disposal and decision making is absolutely putrid. It bears out in his numbers, too - 59.7% disposal efficiency and 2nd in the league in clangers (total and average) in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a night that suits the contested bulls Wines gathers 11 touches and two clearances. He’s nowhere near the player he should be.

Macrae 35 disposals and a goal in the same game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines v Macrae

Back