Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked what the blues did. Feel like they’re in a good enough position talent wise to chase pick 3.
Deez nutz with 5 & 9 should be able to draft a couple guns with those picks.
Will be an interesting watch with how the tiges go. i rate their vfl development highly.

lol port
lol atkins
lol kane cornes

Not sure I follow the logic on Richmond.
It was a calculated choice, recognizing that they were going to slide (or already had) and electing to be marginally worse in the short term but with the prospect of putting together some good young players in what is reportedly a deep first round.
The value they extracted for the departures was nothing short of sensational.

Yes but it's probably being lost in the discussion about their haul the fact that they've lost a couple of retirees and lost 4 of their best players.

Look, they may bounce back quick. The AFL will hope they do. But there's also a risk that having 1/5th of your list as 18 year olds in their first year is pushing it a bit. These guys have to learn from other players, and won't necessarily benefit from playing before they're truly ready.

How many years now without a first round pick not sure your a winner Fly banking on this group to go for it again.
We've taken a first rounder every season since 2020? And will also have a first next year in Mcguane?

So basically just traded out of this year's draft for Houston, Perryman and Schultz

Yes but it's probably being lost in the discussion about their haul the fact that they've lost a couple of retirees and lost 4 of their best players.

Look, they may bounce back quick. The AFL will hope they do. But there's also a risk that having 1/5th of your list as 18 year olds in their first year is pushing it a bit. These guys have to learn from other players, and won't necessarily benefit from playing before they're truly ready.
Yeah, that is a valid concern, but the bottom line for me is that those players were retiring/ looking to move on to greener pastures one way or the other.
From a trade perspective, that was their starting point and they turned the lemons into lemonade as well as anyone could have 🤷‍♂️

On pure pick power Richmond are big winners, though of course it causes some short term pain in the quality lost and they have to nail the actual drafting, but they certainly got into the position they wanted.

Winners: Pies, Blues, Cats, Crows

Losers: Port, Eagles, Suns
How are suns losers?

Fixed our salary cap and probably the best its been ever trading out Atkins and lukocious.

Acquired 2 future first rd picks for next year

Acquired Noble and Rioli ( needed half-back flankers)

Banked enough points for a top 10 academy player in this draft

We rorted like the absolute champions that we are. Some of BigFooty’s biggest self-appointed draft “experts” were insisting we’d never get the points we need without trading both this year’s and next year’s first picks. Wrong.

Let the Double-Ashcroft era begin.

Not sure I follow the logic on Richmond.
It was a calculated choice, recognizing that they were going to slide (or already had) and electing to be marginally worse in the short term but with the prospect of putting together some good young players in what is reportedly a deep first round.
The value they extracted for the departures was nothing short of sensational.

Marginally is putting it nicely lol they will struggle to be competitive.

All setup for Yze to get sacked if they start 0-12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with North’s effort this year.

Added three experienced players of quality to help the kids. That can not be underestimated as to how much we need that.

Four players in, still have our first round pick (hope they split it), and each one fills a need.

Big losers were West Coast and Port Adelaide. Think North Melbourne and Gold Coast significantly overpaid for certain players too. Melbourne's behaviour is puzzling and I think there are certain teams that should've been more active (cough Sydney cough)

Collingwood the big winners, when you consider what Rioli and Daniel went for what they got for Houston was a genuine steal, and Perryman should be a nice piece too. Also sounds like they'll get a couple of solid KPP's for free. Carlton did very well in getting a genuine A-grade pick, Hawthorrn picked up two key components of the team going forward and Geelong also picked up a really important piece for not that much realistically. And of course Richmond did a fantastic job of building their draft hand even if at the cost of more short-term pain.

We rorted like the absolute champions that we are. Some of BigFooty’s biggest self-appointed draft “experts” were insisting we’d never get the points we need without trading both this year’s and next year’s first picks. Wrong.

Let the Double-Ashcroft era begin.

Hope it's better than the Double-Daicos era. For your sake.

I’m clearly in the minority but I reckon West Coast has done quite well. Everyone seems to be focused on the Baker deal while forgetting about the Barrass deal which was outstanding for them.

In:
Baker
Owies
FR1
FR2
FR3

Out:
Barrass
FR4

That’s far from a loss imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah you made up ground on Barass

Second and third round picks are expendable. Unless it's a team that is odds on to be bottom 4 fodder (like us) future seconds and thirds aren't valuable. Hawthorn could've given us two F2s and two F3s and it doesn't make the deal an epic win. At best as it is it's fair value for a contracted player.

Essendon gave up pick 9 which they would've burned anyway and got two seconds, a third and a future first with a swap of thirds.

We turned pick 3 which is a live pick into 12, Baker and Owies. Pick 14 did the rounds and ended up at Freo. That trade needs at least another top 20 pick included to make sense.

GWS once traded 12 and 18 to get pick 6, then 6 and a future first to get pick 4. So 12, 18 and a pick that ended up being 11 for 4. But we trade 3 for 12 and 14 and use 14 to overpay for an OOC player.

After wasting an entire week we traded Barrass to a club that had 2F1s and 2F2s and left them with an F1 ad F2. Is Shai Bolton worth 10, 11 and a downgrade from 14 to 18? Probably not, but you don't ask you don't get. Once Hawthorn had two F1s (and the ability to trade both) we should've set the bar at two F1s with whatever swaps of F2s and F3s (in their favour obvs) to go with it.

OUT: Barrass, 3, 63, 68, F4
IN: Baker, Owies, 12, 73, Haw F1, Haw F2, Haw F3

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back