Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The real winners are all the teams that play Richmond twice next year. They will lose every game by 10+ goals. Good thing their supporters are known to be patient and understanding.
3 flags in 65 years loool some power house
Back to Back they said in 2024 didn't make finals.
When your ready to join the elite category of having a sustainable era like Tigers, Hawks , Lions and Cats come see us not one hit wonders.

Richmond obviously the biggest winners… for now.

We saw what happened last time they had 5 top 30 picks in 2021 looks a disaster.

Draft poorly and they’ll be begging for priority picks for years.

Get it right and they’ll be back up in 6-7 years.

Cumming for end of first round pick is a win for us. He’s a solid player who’ll hold down that wing spot for you …. But grabbing him and Peats is hardly A-grade trading
Both are trending on the up which is why you were so bitter losing them compared to Perryman but no doubt it will depend if they can go to the next level like Dawson, Rankine, Hinge and Keays have after they came here. We gave a fair price for Peatling, if he was already the finish product it would have cost us a 1st rounder and a much bigger contract and same for Cumming.

Both are trending on the up which is why you were so bitter losing them compared to Perryman but no doubt it will depend if they can go to the next level like Dawson, Rankine, Hinge and Keays have after they came here. We gave a fair price for Peatling, if he was already the finish product it would have cost us a 1st rounder and a much bigger contract and same for Cumming.
We just don’t like losing players … and they are both great guys. But as soon as we saw the comp for the FAs it was “let us help with your bags”

Winners
Richmond-will be bottom next year but they got overs for every player that left. Rioli and Baker were well overs.

I like what hawthorn did to address needs even if I think barass isn't that durable.

Adel-i like peatling more than most and Cumming is good if he stays fit. The key is they need a better coach but that's a separate issue.

Carlton-robbed wce blind for pick 3. Won't help a lot for 2025 but will be great long term.

Losers
Port-terrible trading enough said. More fringe players that don't move the needle-future 1st traded out is a big risk. Way unders for Houston should have held him.

wce-terrible-they should have walked baker through the draft or walked away. Trading 3 for 12 and 14 when they could have got better picks for that is junk.

gc-trading like a drunk idiot. Rioli will be decent but paid way overs. Could have done way more with the picks and hbfs are easy to get. Noble is ok but doesnt move the needle. 4 top 30 picks for what they got back is a shit return not withstanding that offloading the luko contract was good.
Collingwood-yes they got Houston cheaper than he was worth but I really don't think he's a need for them and their tall stocks are poor. I can see them missing finals and no r1 again.

North-i get that they can't attract top line players but why are they spending good picks on older players who are on the slide and don't address positional needs?

I'm also not as big on Bolton as freo no doubt are-big risk.

Cumming is definitely not a better player than he was two years ago

On pure pick power Richmond are big winners, though of course it causes some short term pain in the quality lost and they have to nail the actual drafting, but they certainly got into the position they wanted.

They will trade some picks into future drafts I'd imagine.

I’m clearly in the minority but I reckon West Coast has done quite well. Everyone seems to be focused on the Baker deal while forgetting about the Barrass deal which was outstanding for them.

In:
Baker
Owies
FR1
FR2
FR3

Out:
Barrass
FR4

That’s far from a loss imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should have taken 14 and a pick swap for barass from the get then they would still have baker and 3.
The futures won't be as good as 3 would have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think Richmond has made a huge mistake trading out its older players. Having a team filled with very young and talented players but being pumped by 80+ points every week is not a good strategy, as proven by the early years of GWS and Gold Coast.

If a team is being smashed every week the young players just don't develop the way you would like.

Winners:
Carlton, Hawthorn, Collingwood.

Losers:
Port Adelaide, West Coast, Gold Coast.

Won’t get a gauge on my boys until we see who we draft and if we can nab a big free agent next year with our available cash. We’ve essentially traded out two players who don’t fit in our system anymore and replaced one with Kennedy who’s a cheaper and younger option.

Winners:
Carlton, Hawthorn, Collingwood.

Losers:
Port Adelaide, West Coast, Gold Coast.

Won’t get a gauge on my boys until we see who we draft and if we can nab a big free agent next year with our available cash. We’ve essentially traded out two players who don’t fit in our system anymore and replaced one with Kennedy who’s a cheaper and younger option.

I do wonder how Gold Coast are consistently such bad traders. It is like negotiating with an 8 year old, they are so easy to manipulate and get way overs.

Shit with contracts and money and shit with trading.

Its staggering isn’t it.

It really makes no sense. Everyone was saying "Pick 6 for Rioli is way overs" for over a week, and Gold Coast, instead of possibly applying the brakes, reevaluating what they were about to do instead kept driving at full speed towards the brick wall.

Adelaide A?? One pick under 60 in the best draft in 25 years according to the experts. You’re kidding yourself, or delusional about the players you've brought in.
Are we going to get this from every Richmond poster? From everything I read it is an even draft but the top end talent is at the level of other years or even last year

Also given 2001 is still inside 25 years that statement is almost impossible

It really makes no sense. Everyone was saying "Pick 6 for Rioli is way overs" for over a week, and Gold Coast, instead of possibly applying the brakes, reevaluating what they were about to do instead kept driving at full speed towards the brick wall.
My unpopular opinion is 6 would have been a fair trade for Rioli, if not slightly favourable. Not sure he was worth 23 as well, but he was one of Richmond’s best players on a long term deal and didn’t have a good reason for leaving besides wanting to move to a better team. The Suns poached him and deserved to pay pick 6 as a result. If you took pick 6 to the draft and took a player as good as Rioli, you’d be satisfied. The Suns have shortcut past the development years and injected a top 10 player on their list who plays in the most durable position in footy.

My unpopular opinion is 6 would have been a fair trade for Rioli, if not slightly favourable. Not sure he was worth 23 as well, but he was one of Richmond’s best players on a long term deal and didn’t have a good reason for leaving besides wanting to move to a better team. The Suns poached him and deserved to pay pick 6 as a result. If you took pick 6 to the draft and took a player as good as Rioli, you’d be satisfied. The Suns have shortcut past the development years and injected a top 10 player on their list who plays in the most durable position in footy.

The problem is Rioli has never been an AA and he is 27. Not many players who are 27 and never been an All Australian are worth a pick like pick 6. Pick 13 by itself seems like a much fairer trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back