Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is Rioli has never been an AA and he is 27. Not many players who are 27 and never been an All Australian are worth a pick like pick 6. Pick 13 by itself seems like a much fairer trade.
If I am Richmond there’s no way I’d trade Rioli for 13.

The Suns headhunted him and that was the price. They could have targeted anybody else but the long-term contracted Rioli was their guy.

The Suns headhunted him and that was the price. They could have targeted anybody else but the long-term contracted Rioli was their guy.

Maybe so, but even if you really want someone, you have to not go nuts with what you are willing to offer.

I really like the old MG MGB, but if I saw one on autotrader for $40,000 I would think "yes I want it, but that is too much so even if I do want it I am not going to get it as getting it would be irresponsible"

I do wonder how Gold Coast are consistently such bad traders. It is like negotiating with an 8 year old, they are so easy to manipulate and get way overs.

If this was cricket you would call it match fixing.

The top clubs don't offer crazy overs they offer a price and if they can't get it done at that they walk away.

The top clubs don't offer crazy overs they offer a price and if they can't get it done at that they walk away.
We all know that Gold Coast can’t attract players like established top clubs. They are in the business of playing finals and competing for premierships ASAP. Rioli walks into GC as their best running defender.

Maybe so, but even if you really want someone, you have to not go nuts with what you are willing to offer.

I really like the old MG MGB, but if I saw one on autotrader for $40,000 I would think "yes I want it, but that is too much so even if I do want it I am not going to get it as getting it would be irresponsible"
An old MG MGB probably isn’t going to provide you with an opportunity to achieve your goals like Rioli can help GC achieve their goals

We've taken a first rounder every season since 2020? And will also have a first next year in Mcguane?

So basically just traded out of this year's draft for Houston, Perryman and Schultz
Houston a tick but the others aren't really moving the dial. You need key position players desperately IMO. Mihochek is another year older and another year of bash and crash. How long can his body hold up. Who's coming through? Shades of arrogance TBH. Keep all the veterans and play the same way which won you guys a flag and it will happen again. Seems to be the mindset. Good luck to you.

An old MG MGB probably isn’t going to provide you with an opportunity to achieve your goals like Rioli can help GC achieve their goals

Well you don't know what my goals are but Rioli is not exactly a world beater. He isn't going to be the difference between a premiership and no premiership.

At no point when playing Richmond the last 8 years have I thought "****, how are we going to stop Dan Rioli". He was very very much an afterthought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Houston a tick but the others aren't really moving the dial. You need key position players desperately IMO. Mihochek is another year older and another year of bash and crash. How long can his body hold up. Who's coming through? Shades of arrogance TBH. Keep all the veterans and play the same way which won you guys a flag and it will happen again. Seems to be the mindset. Good luck to you.
I'm not sure how much more you expect to get on top of a 2x reigning AA from the cost of a first round pick this year and moving back 6 spots in the draft post bid matching from the draft position we had coming into this trade period?

We've hardly sold our future when we're still going to be taking Mcguane as our first rounder next year.

Well you don't know what my goals are but Rioli is not exactly a world beater. He isn't going to be the difference between a premiership and no premiership.

At no point when playing Richmond the last 8 years have I thought "****, how are we going to stop Dan Rioli". He was very very much an afterthought.
There’s not a single player in the AFL that can elevate GC to premiers. A large group of improving components can get them there though, one of those being an upgrade from Sexton/Jeffrey/Weller to Rioli, whose come 2nd, 5th and 1st in the last 3 best and fairests. He is a very good player with lots of football ahead of him. The alternative option was to take pick 6 to the draft and walk into 2025 with effectively the same side as they had this year, and hope that in several years time the player might be as good as Rioli.

Second and third round picks are expendable. Unless it's a team that is odds on to be bottom 4 fodder (like us) future seconds and thirds aren't valuable. Hawthorn could've given us two F2s and two F3s and it doesn't make the deal an epic win. At best as it is it's fair value for a contracted player.

Essendon gave up pick 9 which they would've burned anyway and got two seconds, a third and a future first with a swap of thirds.

We turned pick 3 which is a live pick into 12, Baker and Owies. Pick 14 did the rounds and ended up at Freo. That trade needs at least another top 20 pick included to make sense.

GWS once traded 12 and 18 to get pick 6, then 6 and a future first to get pick 4. So 12, 18 and a pick that ended up being 11 for 4. But we trade 3 for 12 and 14 and use 14 to overpay for an OOC player.

After wasting an entire week we traded Barrass to a club that had 2F1s and 2F2s and left them with an F1 ad F2. Is Shai Bolton worth 10, 11 and a downgrade from 14 to 18? Probably not, but you don't ask you don't get. Once Hawthorn had two F1s (and the ability to trade both) we should've set the bar at two F1s with whatever swaps of F2s and F3s (in their favour obvs) to go with it.

OUT: Barrass, 3, 63, 68, F4
IN: Baker, Owies, 12, 73, Haw F1, Haw F2, Haw F3
We were never trading 2 firsts. Hence why you guys buckled. Realistically we thought pick 14 on its own was enough but your list management team wanted to play ducks and drakes so we got a bit creative. Contracted yes but he's 29. Your not going to get what you might have got 4-5 years earlier based on this fact no matter how much alot of WCE posters were hammering these boards with "we want 2 firsts!!". Could have been a straight forward trade but alas it wasn't.

Richmond huge winner, just smashed draft pick home runs.. fantastic returns!

worst - power got smoked
and W.C gave away far to much for what came into there club.

I'm not sure how much more you expect to get on top of a 2x reigning AA from the cost of a first round pick this year and moving back 6 spots in the draft post bid matching from the draft position we had coming into this trade period?

We've hardly sold our future when we're still going to be taking Mcguane as our first rounder next year.
Mcguane is a 177cm midfielder. Not exactly addressing Key position. He's projected to go between 25-35. Chips are all in for this year and next clearly. If it pays off Flt is a genius. If not you guys will end up where us after Clarkos top up didn't work and now Richmond will be.

Marginally is putting it nicely lol they will struggle to be competitive.

All setup for Yze to get sacked if they start 0-12
You think he’d be in danger with whatever we do next year? Results don’t matter for the next 2 years. He’ll be judged on development of the kids and game style, nothing to do with wins and losses for another 3 years.

I noticed something you didn't mention.......You got reamed by WC for Barrass.

I felt like we overpaid for Barrass but the Hawks have been historically generous when trying to land their targets.

Hard to argue with success after last year's recruits too.

At the end of the day, we traded pick 14 for a F1 and F2.

So we effectively got Barrass for 14 and a F3 (with a F4 coming back).

I thought Freo did quite well to pick up Shai Bolton but paid close to fair value for him.

Winners
Richmond-will be bottom next year but they got overs for every player that left. Rioli and Baker were well overs.

I like what hawthorn did to address needs even if I think barass isn't that durable.

Adel-i like peatling more than most and Cumming is good if he stays fit. The key is they need a better coach but that's a separate issue.

Carlton-robbed wce blind for pick 3. Won't help a lot for 2025 but will be great long term.

Losers
Port-terrible trading enough said. More fringe players that don't move the needle-future 1st traded out is a big risk. Way unders for Houston should have held him.

wce-terrible-they should have walked baker through the draft or walked away. Trading 3 for 12 and 14 when they could have got better picks for that is junk.

gc-trading like a drunk idiot. Rioli will be decent but paid way overs. Could have done way more with the picks and hbfs are easy to get. Noble is ok but doesnt move the needle. 4 top 30 picks for what they got back is a shit return not withstanding that offloading the luko contract was good.
Collingwood-yes they got Houston cheaper than he was worth but I really don't think he's a need for them and their tall stocks are poor. I can see them missing finals and no r1 again.

North-i get that they can't attract top line players but why are they spending good picks on older players who are on the slide and don't address positional needs?

I'm also not as big on Bolton as freo no doubt are-big risk.
Nah disagree on Bolton. Freo's list is just about as good as anybody's now. He is exactly what they need. Top 4 has to be the aim for the club. Finals an absolute non negotiable. There will be pressure on Longmuir because he has the tools required to succeed it's what he does with them now.

There was a brief, we filled it.

Future picks for Uwland and Addinsal tick
Ease salary cap tick
Get in senior players to fill the HB hole on our list tick
Get points for Lombard tick

I reckon our trade period was a B-, not overly flash but did what we needed to do.

Rioli and Noble basically slot into HB and would say our team has improved off the back of it.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back