Wins Per Dollar Spent - is this what we are reduced to ?

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
'Wins per dollar spent ". What an ugly phrase !

Saw it mentioned as part of Eades press conference.

Is this what the game is being reduced to ?

Judging teams, coaches and clubs on their number of wins versus money spent.

Supporters of struggling clubs would usually hang their hats on having ' the youngest list' - maybe now it will be spruiking having the 'least dollars spent per win" as a measure of success ??

Got to feel for clubs struggling financially to keep up.

Well we do live in a world driven by money. Everything else has gone out the window. Its only going to get worse from here.

`Wins per dollar spent' was an idea trumpeted by Choco's regime at Port. For some clubs I suppose its not a bad measure...I guess it depends on whether or not your goal is to get wins or premierships.

Hint: Always premierships.

Welcome to professional sport. Aren't Olympic sports funded according to medals won per dollar invested or some similar measure?

'Wins per dollar spent ". What an ugly phrase !

Saw it mentioned as part of Eades press conference.

Is this what the game is being reduced to ?

Judging teams, coaches and clubs on their number of wins versus money spent.

Supporters of struggling clubs would usually hang their hats on having ' the youngest list' - maybe now it will be spruiking having the 'least dollars spent per win" as a measure of success ??

Got to feel for clubs struggling financially to keep up.

Who mentioned it?
Coach?
Journo?

What's dumb is your assumption it's the only key measure they use. If that was the case, he probably wouldn't be parting ways with the club...
I didn't assume anything, but thanks for the comment.

ChrisAnstey13 Chris Anstey
Sad that I was told 12 mths ago Cameron would be coaching Dogs next season due to budget. The process is all politics now. Bad decision Dogs
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Interessant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who mentioned it?
Coach?
Journo?

Eade - here's the quote that I read in the Herald-Sun:

Eade said he had no gut feel that his contract would not be renewed and he was happy to stand by his record.

"Wins per dollar spent I think we were as good as anyone, if not the best in the AFL, for the past six or seven years."

What's dumb is your assumption it's the only key measure they use. If that was the case, he probably wouldn't be parting ways with the club...

?? maybe if he'd won a Premiership, he'd still be at the club. Maybe if the team he's built still looked a chance for a Premiership, he'd still be at the club. Premierships are the key measure. I would think/hope they'd be the reason of all kpi's. If not, why would a club bother competing?

Eade - here's the quote that I read in the Herald-Sun:

Eade said he had no gut feel that his contract would not be renewed and he was happy to stand by his record.

"Wins per dollar spent I think we were as good as anyone, if not the best in the AFL, for the past six or seven years."
Cheers.:thumbsu:
Must have trimmed it from the video of the presser.

?? maybe if he'd won a Premiership, he'd still be at the club. Maybe if the team he's built still looked a chance for a Premiership, he'd still be at the club. Premierships are the key measure. I would think/hope they'd be the reason of all kpi's. If not, why would a club bother competing?

I don't disagree.

But to suggest they are the only measure of success is absurd.

Basically all Eade felt was that he did OK with what he had to work with. It's hard to disagree.

Welcome to professional sport. Aren't Olympic sports funded according to medals won per dollar invested or some similar measure?

This. It's public knowledge that each gold medal costs Australian tax players millions. There is constant debate and lobbying to where sport funding should go. To the Sports that people play; Footy codes, Basketball, Netball etc. or the the relatively poor Olympic sports that bring "national glory'

This. It's public knowledge that each gold medal costs Australian tax players millions. There is constant debate and lobbying to where sport funding should go. To the Sports that people play; Footy codes, Basketball, Netball etc. or the the relatively poor Olympic sports that bring "national glory'

Investing more money into sports such as basketball and association football might actually see us produce a medal or big tournament win sometime in the future, and would give the country and its international sporting reputation a massive boost, moreso than winning another medal in swimming or shooting.

Investing more money into sports such as basketball and association football might actually see us produce a medal or big tournament win sometime in the future, and would give the country and its international sporting reputation a massive boost, moreso than winning another medal in swimming or shooting.

The money was intentionally thrown into obscure olympic sports, as there is less competetion and therefore you get a more medals per dollar and we can pretend to be a great sporting nation based on the medal tally.

It's a defence (albeit a poor one) for Eade, but not the club.

The club's responsible for how much money it's able to spend, to state the obvious. The buck (god) stops with them.
That's fine if you have a truckload of members but it's hardly the WB admin's fault if they run a club which, historically, has low membership. Not sure how it's a poor defence for Eade. I'm pretty sure that most of the recent premiership teams have been in the top echelon of 'football department spend.' He wasn't sooking about it, just stating a fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wins Per Dollar Spent - is this what we are reduced to ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back