Wish Tambling would compare himself honestly with Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Tambling was drafted into the 16th placed team of the time, which was largely bereft of talent.
Rioli was drafted into a team that played finals last year and we all knew would be a flag contender.
I know which situation I would like.:)

A question: Why wasn't this thread posted weeks ago when we kicked the Hawks butts at the MCG??????????

We didnt kick thier butts we won in a good contest and if you think they came at us like they did against Geelong then you are delusional.

The fact is that they won the premiership and any Richmond supporter is able to identify any aspect of the team that falls short. Tambling is being embarassed by a first year player. if a first year player is too harsh a critisism, then he is in major trouble as far as making it as a player.

FFS. We beat them during the year. Break out the champaign. You younger posters who have no idea what it is like to watch Richmond IN finals. Not making legal defenses for why we have something to hang our hats on because we beat them during the year.

When its GOOD. We will ALL know it. We wont be arguing about it. How many Hawthorn supporters are arguing at the moment about how good thier team is.

Good on all replies to this thread that care about Richmond and dont want to make insipid defenses for things that fall short.

Ah ha....and that's where you are wrong.
It's not that I'm giving players that I think aren't up to it, time to come good.
(Nice try on attributing thoughts to me, I don't have.)

It's that I'm giving everyone more time, because I'm trying to fit in with slow football brains here and at the club who can't make a judgement call early.
I've made a call on a player, copped a lot of shit when I first raised the suspect career of Tambling (my 'Smoke and Mirrors' Thread irritated 99% of Tambling supporters here)....so now I'll just sit back and wait till the results of such duds is soooooooo obvious that even a thickhead could see it.
Some people need to be hit by a train before the know it's in the vicinity.

You want another year till you finally see we are wasting our time on Tambling.....you've got it. Another wasted year.

It's just ironic Hawthorn didn't expect Rioli to start performing to a high standard after 70+ Senior games. It's obvious Hawthorn's expectation and standards are higher than ours. It's also obvious Hawthorn don't accept excuses. That's how you win a Flag.

Ok so you would probably have called for Shaun Burgoynes head too if he was on our list. What about the hawks who got rid of S Tuck. And his dad for that matter. Played over 100 games in the reserves before he was deemed good enough. Some guys just take a little longer. Tambling is no dud and honestly if you think he is i doubt you really no much about footy. You guys are just seeing pick 4, Buddy, Juddy etc and wishing he had come on quickly and lived up to the considerable hype. A byproduct of us supporters who are hungry for footy news and success.

Dam can't you see the similarities between Tambling and Gary Ablett jnr. Ablett jnr took till he was 23 to become an A grader. Ablett senior himself took until his second club to become an a grader.

Tambling might not have lived up to pick 4 yet but that doesn't mean he wont. And if he doesn't well build a bridge or stop buying a membership as you can't really class yourselves as supporters.

If he wasn't a top draft pick he would have been at least dropped once this season. Next season he'll have very strong competition pushing for his spot, if he doesn't lift his game he'll find himself at Coburg!

Watch Whitey and Connors overtake him next season. I believe already White had more impact on games then Tambo.

I'm sick of hearing excuse as to why he hasn't performed. blah blah blah! He was a dominate junior and has since gone backwards. Roili has right now ALOT more value then him. He's a gun!

If he wasn't a top draft pick he would have been at least dropped once this season. Next season he'll have very strong competition pushing for his spot, if he doesn't lift his game he'll find himself at Coburg!

Watch Whitey and Connors overtake him next season. I believe already White had more impact on games then Tambo.

I'm sick of hearing excuse as to why he hasn't performed. blah blah blah! He was a dominate junior and has since gone backwards. Roili has right now ALOT more value then him. He's a gun!

Agree, took the words right out of my mouth!!... Also thing that pissing me off is that Miller and co. were saying he's turned the corner and coming along fine??? and this is his best year... blah blah
Did'nt see his name in our top 10 B & F count,
Get a Move on Son!.

Unfair comparison.

Rioli is alot stronger upper body wise. RIloli is a Fwd, Tambling a midfielder.

Id take Tambling anyday over Rioli. Tambling offers alot more across the board. Rioli offers fierce tackling, and thats about it.

Ahahahahahahah, love it.

This shit is gold. :D

Yes you've you already done that one. Whatever takes your mind off the fact you support the biggest joke of a club in the AFL, if not Australian sport.
I mean even the Sydney Kings at least won a few championships.:eek:

No no, no look, he actually believes it though!

I mean yeah say it to put some bait out or jam the tongue firmly in the cheek, but he actually believes his own bullshit.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Like I said, GOLD :D

stupid ****en thread, leave richie T alone FFS, he's got plenty to offer:thumbsu:

My sentiments too Bo. What will be achieved by RT sitting down and comparing himself to any other player in the league. Sweet FA that's what.

He just needs to concentrate on improving his game, working hard all that jazz, not about what blokes from other clubs are doing, really WGAF what they doing :rolleyes:

What a ridiculous thread. Tambling doesn't need to compare himself to anyone. When he's playing in a successful Richmond team, that sort of rubbish will disappear.

What a ridiculous thread. Tambling doesn't need to compare himself to anyone. When he's playing in a successful Richmond team, that sort of rubbish will disappear.
if that ever happen all the grumbling will disappear, but they have been saying that for years its wearing thin. when 18 year old kids can make a much bigger impact than a 4 year player than it is a serious worry.

And on the subject of Tambling and Rioli.

1. Rioli is a gun and I would love to have him on our list. I worked with his dad for a while and am just stoked to see him do well. Good on you Junior.

2. Tambling will be a quality footballer if he can get stronger. He has many comparable attributes to Gary Ablett junior. Big call i know but consider this.
- Garry took a while to come on. He is 24 and really only played his first A grade season last year.
- He has a very very similar sidestep to Garry which he uses with greater and greater effect. Much like Gary. Although Gary's was sublime today.
- he has similar accelaration from a standing start.
- his kicking action and ability is quite similar. You don't see Gary spear passes. he prefers to guide them. similar to tambling.

I realise that they are still a long way apart but the development curve is and skill sets are similar.

Dunstall has said on record that he believes Tambling can win a brownlow. I don't think it is likely but if he continues to develop he certainly could. He is only 21! and a little faith can't go astray.

Don't worry about Rioli. The bloke Tambling should be watching is Ablett. Stuff Franklin. I just hope the club are pumping this kid up and giving him the self belief to fulfill his obvious talent. If we had taken Buddy the Hawks would undoutedly have taken Tambling.

There have been a lot of ludicrous comparisons already...riolo to tambling, now ablett... my god can't we just let him be him.

Nb. on the last one, one of Gary's big strenghts is his hip/core strength. Tambling and MOST other midfielders dont even and never will go close in that department. Tambling will be good on his own merits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh the good ole 20/20 hindsight heroes. So now Tambling needs to be a better small forward than Rioli in a side that hasnt finished higher than 9th in 4 years but also better draft value than Franklin as well? Funny how no one is dragging out the Buddy comparisons after his game on Saturday or for that matter the guy picked at No 2 in the same draft who got 1 kick on Saturday or perhaps Varcoe who was so gonna be the next Ablett they awarded him the 5 guernsey. Bateman played well, surely Richie should be modelling himself on him this week too? Yeah Tambling is crap, you guys are right.

lets face it if we had Franklin and Rioli they would ben duds. The problem is in our development of players and our gameplan
Exactly. But try telling that to most of the armchair experts around here who expect every kid to walk into a crap side and be a gun. Until we fix that, doesn't matter who we recruit. Just hope we don't drag Cotchin down.But of course that will be his fault and our recruiters fault for not taking Rioli or Palmer. I bet there's a few dicks even now thinking we should've got Rioli instead after Saturday...wonder how much he would've starred without Hodge & Sewell...reckon he would've crumbed that goal in the 3rd had Franklin not made the contest...that's assuming the ball got to his FF that quickly and accurately in the first place. How much run would've he had with the likes of Bowden stifling any attacking raid every time they got the ball? How much freedom would he have been allowed surrounded by soft team mates who can't lay a tackle and don't know how to shepherd? Anyone who thinks the quality of the side kids come into makes little difference to their performance and development is a fool. That's why Cotchin and Palmer are such freaks. No way Rioli would be that good at Richmond or Freo. Look at Deledio, he was so good in his first year...people forget...and then Richmonditis set in and only now is he coming back to his potential..he would've won a Brownlow by now at most other clubs and be mentioned in the same breath as Judd , Hodge & Franklin.
Some of you need to get a grip and see the real problem instead of obssessively bagging our kids and deathriding their careers.

Exactly. But try telling that to most of the armchair experts around here who expect every kid to walk into a crap side and be a gun. Until we fix that, doesn't matter who we recruit. Just hope we don't drag Cotchin down.But of course that will be his fault and our recruiters fault for not taking Rioli or Palmer. I bet there's a few dicks even now thinking we should've got Rioli instead after Saturday...wonder how much he would've starred without Hodge & Sewell...reckon he would've crumbed that goal in the 3rd had Franklin not made the contest...that's assuming the ball got to his FF that quickly and accurately in the first place. How much run would've he had with the likes of Bowden stifling any attacking raid every time they got the ball? How much freedom would he have been allowed surrounded by soft team mates who can't lay a tackle and don't know how to shepherd? Anyone who thinks the quality of the side kids come into makes little difference to their performance and development is a fool. That's why Cotchin and Palmer are such freaks. No way Rioli would be that good at Richmond or Freo. Look at Deledio, he was so good in his first year...people forget...and then Richmonditis set in and only now is he coming back to his potential..he would've won a Brownlow by now at most other clubs and be mentioned in the same breath as Judd , Hodge & Franklin.
Some of you need to get a grip and see the real problem instead of obssessively bagging our kids and deathriding their careers.

I think you are pretty close Mario. The additional issue for us is where we we at the start of 2004 and just how shit we actually were. Our development and strategy is OK but when you need to turn over something like the 40 odd players we have in 4 years all that takes time. The learning curves of our kids who we have thrown to the wolves will start to pay fruit soon I am confident. Sure Lids struggled in year 2 to shake tags just as Foley did in the 2nd half of this year etc. but overall the whole group is moving forward. Compare their intro to AFL with Joel Selwoods. No Ablett, Corey, Bartel etc to take the heat off. New roles for Richo, Bowden, Johnson all take time too, hopefully a bit less. We are just developing at our pace which at times seems all too bloody slow in comparison but Hawthorn also had a head start probably of 3 years.

Its tough to have the patience required here but what we musnt lose sight of is where we came from just 4 short years ago and how shit we were. Make no mistake we are slowly awakening from a Rip van Winkle slumber and a quick glance at the Rise/Slide 09 thread on the main board show an awful lot of opposition supporters can see it too. Whether its next year or not I dunno but it aint too far away.

I think you are pretty close Mario. The additional issue for us is where we we at the start of 2004 and just how shit we actually were. Our development and strategy is OK but when you need to turn over something like the 40 odd players we have in 4 years all that takes time. The learning curves of our kids who we have thrown to the wolves will start to pay fruit soon I am confident. Sure Lids struggled in year 2 to shake tags just as Foley did in the 2nd half of this year etc. but overall the whole group is moving forward. Compare their intro to AFL with Joel Selwoods. No Ablett, Corey, Bartel etc to take the heat off. New roles for Richo, Bowden, Johnson all take time too, hopefully a bit less. We are just developing at our pace which at times seems all too bloody slow in comparison but Hawthorn also had a head start probably of 3 years.

Its tough to have the patience required here but what we musnt lose sight of is where we came from just 4 short years ago and how shit we were. Make no mistake we are slowly awakening from a Rip van Winkle slumber and a quick glance at the Rise/Slide 09 thread on the main board show an awful lot of opposition supporters can see it too. Whether its next year or not I dunno but it aint too far away.

That's why I am both excited and worried about Cotchin, I believe he is the canary in the mineshaft....discounting injury...if a player of his unquestionable talent stagnates or goes backwards, then once and for all there can no denying we have serious player development issues and a badly flawed set-up...if this kid is held back and doesn't play to his full potential, it will be a crime against football , not just Richmond...I'm am quietly confident though that he's just that good, he will rise above it...I think he can drag us up instead of us dragging him down...he really is a once in a generation talent...:thumbsu:

there is no comparison

rioli = jet

everyone harps on about how much tambling will improve,

heres the tip, i'd back a player who has only 1 year in the system to have plenty of improvement left in him

there is no comparison

rioli = jet

everyone harps on about how much tambling will improve,

heres the tip, i'd back a player who has only 1 year in the system to have plenty of improvement left in him

What, like say, Phillip Walsh? Tigers went all ga-ga over him after his first season at the Pies.
Went backwards quicker than you could imagine!
Remember Justin Pickering??????
I'm not suggesting it will happen and I doubt it will, but players can lose it pretty quickly!

The Tambling baggers would have got stuck into him if he only had 10 touches and a couple of tackles in the GF - that's what Rioli had - settle down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish Tambling would compare himself honestly with Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back