Wodonga teenager Jack Ziebell comes good on pact

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
WODONGA teenager Jack Ziebell and his father, Gary, made a pact at the start of what has been a hectic year.

If 17-year-old Ziebell managed to get through a tough year of TAC Cup football with Murray Bushrangers and year 12 as a live-in boarder at Caulfield Grammar, then the first weekend free they would head bush.

So that’s why the pair, plus a few of Jack’s mates, are this weekend fishing for trout, four-wheel driving and "chilling out" at the family holiday home at Mitta Mitta, a picturesque hamlet at the foot of the Victorian high country.

"When I first came up here five or six years ago, I just fell in love with the place," Ziebell said.

"Dad said to me when you finish school, and in between the draft, we would head up the re and have fun."

The fun is certain to roll over into Saturday’s national draft with Ziebell – a tough midfielder with a ferocious attack on the ball – tipped to be drafted inside the top 10.

"I’m pretty anxious for it all to be over," he said.

"I’m keen to know if I will get drafted and where I could end up."

Moving away from home in Wodonga won’t be an issue for the All-Australian on-baller, although he would prefer to stay in Victoria.

"I moved to Melbourne at the start of last year for school, so it might make it easier. I’m used to being away from home," he said.

If things go to plan for Ziebell, he would be another footy graduate of Caulfield Grammar, whose AFL alumni include high draft picks Chris Judd and Brendon Goddard.

Ziebell has long been on AFL recruiting radars.

Starting Auskick at five, he became the youngest player to play senior football with Wodonga when he was only 15. This year he toured South Africa, averaged 22 disposals in his premiership-winning year with the Bushrangers and courageously carried a knee injury through the national championships.

"I hyperextended my knee in the second game of the nationals," he said.

"It got to a point where I didn’t train a lot throughout the year, but it’s fine now after a rest."

Ziebell, whose family always come to Melbourne to watch him, almost didn’t play in the TAC Cup Grand Final, going to the tribunal on a charging report in the lead-up.

"We had a bit of trouble getting through that," he said.

"That’s why it was so special to me because I almost lost the chance. I won’t be doing that again."

Still, those are the attributes this hard-at-it midfielder has that have long impressed AFL scouts.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24692505-19742,00.html

Jack has to be one of the most low profiled first round prospect around here, hardly gets a mention. Must be the combination of being bottom-aged, hardly playing in the Championship and having his school footy take priority.

Jack has to be one of the most low profiled first round prospect around here, hardly gets a mention. Must be the combination of being bottom-aged, hardly playing in the Championship and having his school footy take priority.

yet apart from Watts and maybe Rich he is easily the most comfortable with the media. he's a clear leader in the making

will be/already is a star

Remove this Banner Ad

Wodonga teenager Jack Ziebell comes good on pact

Remove this Banner Ad

Back