Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagle wrath, can you provide some evidence to back up your claims that white people aren't allowed to be in successful movies anymore?

Eagle wrath, can you provide some evidence to back up your claims that white people aren't allowed to be in successful movies anymore?
Not what i said but check the previous page and link for one example from Hollywood writers and directors who have said its all about wokeness now and they are all terrified of speaking up or contradicting it, for fear of never being hired again. They said white men bad and everyone else is fine. They are allowed to be in movies as long as quotas are filled and ideally B.A.M.E (New fav word/acronym of theirs in the UK esp) are in dominant positions in the movie.
And Disney are on a crusade, as is Netflix.

I think you see all that though. Just look at the remakes in the last few years or book adaptations for other examples.

I wanted to know about one of the cute lead females (Ciri) in The Witcher the other day and looked up IMDB and I just laughed.

Mini Bio
Freya Allan (Oxfordshire, England, September 6, 2001) is a British actress known for being chosen to play Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon in the Netflix adaptation of The Witcher (2019).
After a controversy over a text where, to interpret Ciri, an actress cataloged as BAME (Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic) was requested (by Netflix), something that would clash with the origins of the character in relation to the original story of Andrzej Sapkowski, finally Freya Allan was selected for the role.

So Netflix grudgingly lost that argument to have a BAME represent a Scandinavian white female, from the book and games and the director chose a white female as was expected by fans of the series.
The show made up for it though with the rest of the cast, I can tell you.
But I dont care if you listen to my posting here of it. Just keep your eyes open in the next few years. Its all about righting some perceived wrong.

Did you hear about Snow White they planned to make? Snow white is to be a latino and there will not be 7 dwarves after one actor criticized Disney about having Dwarves in the movie. Other actors with dwarfism are furious they will not feature in the movie. I'm sure Disney are patting themselves on the back though for a job well done.

It's been a weird ten years for this the free speech warriors in this government, first they wanted to get rid of 18(c) so it was easier to hang shit on coloured people, all in the name of freedom you understand, now they want to support schools banning LGBTIQ+ kids, also in the name of freedom. You could be forgiven for thinking when they use the word freedom they're mainly talking about their own freedom to be a bigot.

It's been a weird ten years for this the free speech warriors in this government, first they wanted to get rid of 18(c) so it was easier to hang sh*t on coloured people, all in the name of freedom you understand, now they want to support schools banning LGBTIQ+ kids, also in the name of freedom. You could be forgiven for thinking when they use the word freedom they're mainly talking about their own freedom to be a bigot.
and the diversity warriors want to reject the religious discrimination act. What of that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we know you don't, previous actors who played the role do though. But hey what they care doesn't matter coz someone somewhere is offended on behalf of someone else.
Are you offended on behalf of the actors?

Are you offended on behalf of the actors?

No, but it seems the actors themselves are. Why does my opinion matter?, only your opinion matters remember? Because you're in the 'do the righty' camp and remove a name that may or may not offend a minuscule amount of people.

The actors opinions doesn't matter remember? Unless of course they're in the 'do the righty' camp and remove a name that may or may not offend a minuscule amount of people.

Absolutely necessary to remove it obviously.

No, but it seems the actors themselves are. Why does my opinion matter?, only your opinion matters remember? Because you're in the 'do the righty' camp and remove a name that may or may not offend a minuscule amount of people.

The actors opinions doesn't matter remember? Unless of course they're in the 'do the righty' camp and remove a name that may or may not offend a minuscule amount of people.

Absolutely necessary to remove it obviously.

I haven't given a position one way or the other, I've just asked if it really matters. How does simply asking why changing the name of the ship matters put me in the 'do the righty' camp?

Yeah but why are they doing it? Please provide a plausible rationale that doesn’t sound absolutely insane.

Going from the article linked earlier:

Slave 1's New Name Confirmed By Boba Fett Actor
Understandably, Disney is keen avoid use of the word ‘slave’ outside of its historical or definitional context, due to its potentially offensive and upsetting connotations.

Disney are a capitalist organisation who exist to make money, they have therefore apparently decided that this decision will help them in that endeavour. Feel free to counter that if you like.

I haven't given a position one way or the other, I've just asked if it really matters. How does simply asking why changing the name of the ship matters put me in the 'do the righty' camp?

Going from the article linked earlier:

Slave 1's New Name Confirmed By Boba Fett Actor

Disney are a capitalist organisation who exist to make money, they have therefore apparently decided that this decision will help them in that endeavour. Feel free to counter that if you like.
I’m not countering their right to do it. That wasn’t the question. Do you think the aversion to the word “slave” is sane/reasonable?

This is the question. Please answer it.

I’m not countering their right to do it. That wasn’t the question. Do you think the aversion to the word “slave” is sane/reasonable?

This is the question. Please answer it.
This isn't the question at all, the question is whether changing the name of the spaceship is that big of a deal. I personally don't think it is therefore I have no need to consider the reasons why they did it. Therefore, if they think that the word 'slave' is problematic then I have no reason to be bothered one way or the other. Do you have an issue with someone having an issue with the word 'slave'? Is changing the name of the spaceship a big of a problem for you?

This isn't the question at all, the question is whether changing the name of the spaceship is that big of a deal. I personally don't think it is therefore I have no need to consider the reasons why they did it. Therefore, if they think that the word 'slave' is problematic then I have no reason to be bothered one way or the other. Do you have an issue with someone having an issue with the word 'slave'? Is changing the name of the spaceship a big of a problem for you?
It is the question I am asking you, and you are sidestepping again. This parlour trick is predictable and transparent, please knock it off.

The isolated renaming of a fictional space ship is, in isolation, not a big deal for me. It is clearly a big deal for them, and I’m asking you if you think it’s a reasonable/sane thing to do. Not whether you care. Whether you think it’s sane.

It is the question I am asking you, and you are sidestepping again. This parlour trick is predictable and transparent, please knock it off.

The isolated renaming of a fictional space ship is, in isolation, not a big deal for me. It is clearly a big deal for them, and I’m asking you if you think it’s a reasonable/sane thing to do. Not whether you care. Whether you think it’s sane.

They're a capitalist corporation looking to protect an extremely valuable brand, they've clearly done a bit of research and figured that changing the name of the ship is a good move to protect that brand. Maybe because the ship in question is going to be large part of their shows going forward they figure that they should make the change now and head off any controversy that potentially may or may not have eventuated.

So yeah, if they think it's sane then I'm not going to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back