Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather we didn't lose top female athletes to AFL. I'd rather watch them at the Olympics or other world sports.

Holy shit. You'd rather women that want to play football not have a pathway to help them do that, so that YOU can enjoy watching them in other sports.

What does that sound like when you read it back? Is this thing about people or just about consumer gratification?

It really baffles me how much of a neo-liberal economic rationalist view has infected people's perceptions of the game . . .
Why are you surprised?

It's infected people's perceptions on just about everything.

Hmm we weren't even given a provisional license, all the other unsuccessful applicants did. :/
AFL site is saying otherwise
The other AFL club applicants, Richmond, Geelong, North Melbourne and St Kilda, along with the Eagles, have been granted provisional licences to be part of an expanded women's league in 2018, depending on development of the game in their areas.

Holy shit. You'd rather women that want to play football not have a pathway to help them do that, so that YOU can enjoy watching them in other sports.

What does that sound like when you read it back? Is this thing about people or just about consumer gratification?

Homer: Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls' sports, such as hot-oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such-and-such...

Why are you surprised?

It's infected people's perceptions on just about everything.

Fair call.

People profess to pine for the old, simpler days of footy of the 70s and 80s. I am too young to remember but I am almost certain that club finances were the furthest thing from the minds of the average punter back then.

I watched about a quarter of the Dogs and Demons women's footy match played as a lead up to an AFL game earlier this year. It was a scrappy affair with plenty of pressure making for unattractive viewing. (IMO) Was the reason for this scrappy affair because both teams play a good brand of footy when not under pressure, and so create a more free flowing game that many love to watch, or was this game an example of the standard that we will regularly see in women's AFL next year? What I saw didn't look like a great advertisement for women's footy, but I hope to be proved wrong.

Haha holy shit!

1800-BIGFOOTY - Chief is standing by to take your calls.
Lol you have a collingwood obsession, it's stalkerish but good luck with your jealousy as you have been called out and don't like it. Maybe the Lions mens team can play in the women's comp to be able to win a game ;)

I watched about a quarter of the Dogs and Demons women's footy match played as a lead up to an AFL game earlier this year. It was a scrappy affair with plenty of pressure making for unattractive viewing. (IMO) Was the reason for this scrappy affair because both teams play a good brand of footy when not under pressure, and so create a more free flowing game that many love to watch, or was this game an example of the standard that we will regularly see in women's AFL next year? What I saw didn't look like a great advertisement for women's footy, but I hope to be proved wrong.

It's probably similar to judging footy based on a scrappy NAB cup game. A bunch of players who have essentially spent minimal time together, let alone building and drilling a game plan and establishing team culture/cohesion. Give it time.

Fair call.

People profess to pine for the old, simpler days of footy of the 70s and 80s. I am too young to remember but I am almost certain that club finances were the furthest thing from the minds of the average punter back then.
Nobody knew or cared what membership numbers their club had either.

Half the discussions on this board have people cheering on accountants!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol you have a collingwood obsession, it's stalkerish but good luck with your jealousy as you have been called out and don't like it. Maybe the Lions mens team can play in the women's comp to be able to win a game ;)

Only one mentioning Collingwood here seems to be you. Quick search revealed that my only mention of Collingwood in the past couple of weeks was an innocuous reference in a post when I was criticising the player top up rules in the NEAFL.

Now go get your dad a doughnut.

Nobody knew or cared what membership numbers their club had either.

Half the discussions on this board have people cheering on accountants!

A lot of people with Accounting and Law dual-degrees seemingly.

It's probably similar to judging footy based on a scrappy NAB cup game. A bunch of players who have essentially spent minimal time together, let alone building a game plan and team culture. Give it time.

Or it was the best 44 women in the country who will now be spread amongst 8 teams .. meaning that was likely to be the best standard game seen for a long time

We have just come through an era of scrappy, contested football in the AFL and we had to change the rules to make it more exciting to watch again.

I suspect this will be just like anything else. Scratchy beginnings, more publicity, more support bringing about more interest, bringing about more talent bringing about a higher standard.

I managed and did some assistant coaches for girl's soccer. I have been blessed with daughters so I support their sporting pursuits. What I cared about was their development, their passion, their excitement and even a close scrappy game can be compelling to watch.

I suggest we manage expectations and support new products so they can thrive in time, just as people chose to do back in the 1850s when Australian Rules was first invented. We may not be able to see what the product looks like in 150 years time, but the thought that we gave it a chance so were part of something that might be an important part of our sporting landscape when we are all dead and buried is exciting.

Or it was the best 44 women in the country who will now be spread amongst 8 teams .. meaning that was likely to be the best standard game seen for a long time

Gold Coast and GWS started off with some of the most talent stacked young sides in the comp. Takes time for that to actually evolve into a functional footy team.

I think the standard of play will be reasonable in time. We can only wait and see though.

Gold Coast and GWS started off with some of the most talent stacked young sides in the comp. Takes time for that to actually evolve into a functional footy team.

I think the standard of play will be reasonable in time. We can only wait and see though.

They got the best men in the country significantly different

Also most people think the talent is too spread in the AFL yet think almost half that number is sustainable in the women's league

Also most people think the talent is too spread in the AFL yet think almost half that number is sustainable in the women's league
If women's football proves to bring in more money than it costs then would you support it regardless of the standard in the games?

Mmm maybe. The talent pool isn't going to grow meaningfully until a pathway like this exists though. Again, any measurements for the success of the women's league will be taken over decades, not the formative first few years.

I don't see why Carlton being involved is an issue.

They are really determined to expand their brand, and I recall reading somewhere a bunch of statistics showing Carlton to have the smallest support base for women in Victoria. Obviously they wish to do something about that.

And the bid they handed in was well received by the AFL. Involvement isn't the problem, it's whether the team can be managed properly.
Yes apparently Mike Fitzpatrick thought Carlton's bid was very strong indeed it literally took his breath away. #rubberstamp

People need to remember that we have only really seen amateur footy from the women so far. They have had maybe 2 weeks training together coming off an amateur fitness base. Moving to a semi-pro status will allow them to gain a higher fitness base allowing for more attractive footy. It'll also mean that coaches are more willing to take the game on as they have more trust in their charges.

I'll be there.

I personally won't be tuning it, that standard is just too poor, but I'm glad Freo got the nod. Will be good for the women to get some decent exposure and pay

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back