Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

We also put facilities in place for a women's side during the last redevelopment of the Holden Centre; no doubt a similar build in the move back to Moorabbin will help St Kilda in the future.
What? You put womens change rooms in?

It's about developing women's footy not clubs. Obviously the AFL deemed the profile of Carlton and Collingwood to be more beneficial than the geographic difference St Kilda offers at this stage.

We also put facilities in place for a women's side during the last redevelopment of the Holden Centre; no doubt a similar build in the move back to Moorabbin will help St Kilda in the future.
What about little Jessica from Frankston? What if she wants to see the girls play in the big league? Instead of her parents taking a short trip to Moorabbin or even Frankston Oval, now they have to take her all the way into the CBD. How is that beneficial to Womens Footy?

People are very quick to forget that the clubs and the AFL aren't for profit enterprises. There's no shareholders that they're aiming to deliver a profit to.

The AFL is the custodian of the game and has the role of developing and promoting the game throughout Australia and the world.

Running a professional female competition to provide a pathway to 50% of the Australian population and a large proportion of currently active players is perfectly reasonable, if not expected, of an institution with the role of being a custodian of the game of football.

Surely the better option would have been not to have one at all. Nobody is interest in the men's comp up there, why is the women's comp going to be any different?

Because of this.

f9f5a1c4e5dcc1e3125a972c54d0fa70

tayla-splits.jpg

Super excited to see Fremantle get a team! I'm surprised both WA teams didn't get one because there'd be enough call for one.

This is an amazing opportunity for all the female players out there, and hopefully can be a huge inspiration for young girls around Aus that they can play footy too!

They were pretty quick to change up the website & get a jumper for the girls. Looks great :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what people are getting agro about on this issue

This is not a revenue source. Sponsors won't cover the costs of running it (there is a reason the afl is providing all clubs with a subsidy). And you will be able to count on one hand the number of new members a club gets because of the women's team

Just like the vfl, it will be watched by half a dozen people and their dog, and that's it.

Sad I don't get another excuse to see the tigs jumper in action, but reality is I have zero interest in any afl level comp without my team involved (just as I wouldn't be following the vfl without a rfc involvement)

And they're going to rebuild after only 6 years in the comp :p
But who's to say there's only going to be one good player in the women's teams? We can't expect them to be as good as the blokes, especially because this is a new league in a sport that until recently has had no support and barely any pathways for girls to continue playing it past juniors.

The hysterical Saints fans in here are probably the same ones happy to ditch Seaford and wanted to move to Junction Oval yet somehow want to be exclusivelyknown as the bayside/penninsula club of Melbourne. How about making a long term plan to put back into the area rather than rip-off local councils if you wish to claim a geography as your own.

The hysterical Saints fans in here are probably the same ones happy to ditch Seaford and wanted to move to Junction Oval yet somehow want to be exclusivelyknown as the bayside/penninsula club of Melbourne. How about making a long term plan to put back into the area rather than rip-off local councils if you wish to claim a geography as your own.
Shows how much you know.

Same geographical location as Collingwood, only what 3kms apart?

St.Kilda have that whole peninsula on the Eastern side of Melbourne. You've been picked as a traditional power club, albeit a quickly fading power. Fitzpatrick isn't commissioner and I doubt you get a license.

Maybe if we're successful we can add the premierships to our VFL/AFL tally. That's what a real power club would do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back