Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Come off it. With the exception of Melbourne and the Dogs, Carlton have done as much if not more than any other club to advance this competition.

Nothing to do with silver spoon - the Pies, on the other hand...
.... When the pies win something, least you know it's legit.

Yawn. You've been an off-field rabble this whole century yet you're going to run a women's side. Give me a break. :tearsofjoy:

You don't deserve it, just more silver spoon treatment

Very interesting that you seem to think 'deserving' has to do with how well your men's team has been run historically.

How are we running our club this year? Last I checked we were earning plaudits all over the place for the changes we have made, yet you somehow think that how we ran our club in past years has anything to do with our capabilities to run a Women's team next year and beyond.

Love you to justify that.

Did you see our bid? What was in it? On what criteria were we judged? What are our marketing plans, our sponsorship plans? What are our facilities like? Who is going to be involved? How did our bid stack up compared to other teams?

Now you are the one leveling accusations here. I would assume you have information to back that up and aren't just throwing your toys out of the cot because things didn't go your way.

From my perspective, Carlton have been pushing this bid long and hard. They have held clinics, they have been out and about engaging and promoting women's football. Simply put, they have been one of the more visible teams since all of this came to the fore.

Last edited:
For a start our proximity to Collingwood is used as a reason to shitcan our selection, yet it is accepted that Collingwood should have got a licence? Why not the reverse?
I don't think either of you should have got one of the inaugural licences, due to your proximity to Melbourne.

The Licences should have gone to a regional victorian side and a side in the south eastern suburbs.

Very interesting that you seem to think 'deserving' has to do with how well your men's team has been run historically.

How are we running our club this year? Last I checked we were earning plaudits all over the place for the changes we have made, yet you somehow think that how we ran our club in past years has anything to do with our capabilities to run a Women's team next year and beyond.

Love you to justify that.

Did you see our bid? What was in it? On what criteria were we judged? What are our marketing plans, our sponsorship plans? What are our facilities like? Who is going to be involved? How did our bid stack up compared to other teams?

Now you are the one leveling accusations here. I would assume you have information to back that up and aren't just throwing your toys out of the cot because things didn't go your way/

From my perspective, Carlton have been pushing this bid long and hard. They have held clinics, they have been out and about engaging and promoting women's football. Simply put, they have been one of the more visible teams since all of this came to the fore.
If you say so :drunk:

Didn't go my way? I'm not fussed we didn't get it. Just annoyed the AFL's pet gets something.... Again. The saints should get a license. Just hope you give a nice bottle of wine to Mike for the favour just rendered :)

Because some men cant see women as actually people. In their eyes we are only here for their pleasure.

Richmond and my husband's (WCE) team missing out means I get to pick. Which is a little scary. I am thinking Brisbane since I live in QLD.
Because some men cant see women as actually people. In their eyes we are only here for their pleasure.

Richmond and my husband's (WCE) team missing out means I get to pick. Which is a little scary. I am thinking Brisbane since I live in QLD.
Very narrow minded and insulting comment ,its got nothing to do with looks or the fact that they are women ,more to do with the standard of the game ,ultimately the success of this league depends on the paying customer not political correctness or gender equality .

Didn't go my way? I'm not fussed we didn't get it. Just annoyed the AFL's pet gets something.... Again. The saints should get a license. Just hope you give a nice bottle of wine to Mike for the favour just rendered :)

I've been annoyed for years that our rates go towards that scabby football club at Kardinia Park.

I reckon that's more a reason to be annoyed than you're presenting..

I've been annoyed for years that our rates go towards that scabby football club at Kardinia Park.

I reckon that's more a reason to be annoyed than you're presenting..
As opposed to taxpayer funds for all the other grounds in Australia. Argument fail!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh ho ho ho, Carlton the AFL's pet.

Don't suppose you will address that one either. Just claiming it is enough right? Don't need like ... evidence or anything.

The AFL just love us ... obviously.

As opposed to taxpayer funds for all the other grounds in Australia. Argument fail!
Hell the Holden Centre is almost entirely Government funded and I'm sure many millions of rate/taxpayer have been tipped into Princes Park over the years and not just the funds that Pratt stole with his dodgy deals.

I don't think either of you should have got one of the inaugural licences, due to your proximity to Melbourne.

The Licences should have gone to a regional victorian side and a side in the south eastern suburbs.

Maybe, but have you considered the possibility that the criteria might have had items aside from geographical location in there?

What a load of whinging rubbish people are coming out with.

For a start our proximity to Collingwood is used as a reason to shitcan our selection, yet it is accepted that Collingwood should have got a licence? Why not the reverse?

Carlton have the facilities ready to go, we hosted women's clinics, we got a female mascot, we added a women's football ambassador, and we got the former Equal Opportunity Commissioner, now Sex Discrimination Commissioner on to our board to drive our bid. If anything turned things our way, it was her.

Perhaps people suggesting that Fitzpatrick gave a wink and a nod to Carlton can outline anything else he has done for us to see if there is any pattern there?
Allowed you as a tenant club of Etihad play the more home games at the MCG than at the Dome?

Maybe, but have you considered the possibility that the criteria might have had items aside from geographical location in there?
Of course it did so that Mike could hand a licence to his club and keep Eddie on side. I'm sure they weighted out the criteria perfectly to get the exact result they had predetermined.

So the comp is off to a compromised start, wonder what Eddie will say about this.

Bound to happen. Won't matter in this case as she really should be one of their marquee selections.

If the marquee players are on 25k per year and others scaling down, it will be difficult for players to have to relocate interstate, but then if that can't happen be prepared for Fremantle and Adelaide particularly to go from strength to strength as they pick the eyes out of all their state's talent.

Allowed you as a tenant club of Etihad play the more home games at the MCG than at the Dome?

Um ... no. We had a 6/5 Etihad/G split when we left Princes Park because we had ... wait for it .... 2 home grounds *gasp*. Our contract expired and now we have reversed that split so the G is our dominant home ground but we still have 2 home grounds.

Crazy stuff yeah?

Of course it did so that Mike could hand a licence to his club and keep Eddie on side. I'm sure they weighted out the criteria perfectly to get the exact result they had predetermined.

You know what, you have no idea, you haven't been privy to the process. You are clueless as to the work Carlton have put in. You can't show how Fitzpatrick has favoured us previously. What other conclusion can be drawn except for having a massive sook?

I said 'rates", far different to "taxpayer".

Argument incomprehension fail!
and why shouldn't the Geelong council chip in. They own the land and the stadium. Derp.

I will. I reckon it's a great initiative.
My 10 yr old daughter, who really hasn't shown interest in AFL (she plays soccer), can home from school today all excited to tell my wife and I that there are now girls teams in the AFL. I think this will be a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back