News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished second in the VFL equivalent to the Brownlow. Should have been on our list this year ahead of any of Motlop, Mayes, McEntee or Frederick.
I remember watching a SANFL GF where Woodcock and Rozee were playing for North. Impressed by both, and by Woodcock's goal scoring ability especially.
We make a habit of not giving guys a fair run, albeit we selectively do so in the extreme with others (refer: Sam Gray).
We made a "blue" here. Be interesting to see who picks him up.
Could we do a "Porplyzia" here, cut him then redraft him? Nah, wont happen, leastways with KH at the helm.

Definitely in post-season when Boyd Woodcock is mentioned as making any sort of difference to our list.

0b977185-87db-40d3-b295-8dfa7aa547e3_text.gif

Plays in the VFL GF for Southport v Casey Demons at Princess Park on Sunday at 12.50pm.

A stupid time, but supposedly moved so everyone at 7 can get ready for the brownlow.

Our man Boyd Woodcock has been pretty good with Southport in the VFL having finished 2nd in the Liston Trophy (league B&F) two years running and made the team of the year in both seasons. He’s continued that with a monster stat line of 44 disposals, 11 clearances and 2 goals against Port Melbourne this week. I’d have to wonder if he’s on the radar of any clubs for the mid season draft when that comes around.

Our man Boyd Woodcock has been pretty good with Southport in the VFL having finished 2nd in the Liston Trophy (league B&F) two years running and made the team of the year in both seasons. He’s continued that with a monster stat line of 44 disposals, 11 clearances and 2 goals against Port Melbourne this week. I’d have to wonder if he’s on the radar of any clubs for the mid season draft when that comes around.
He was a bit of a premature delisting. Replaced effectively by McEntee, despite being a far superior player.

This is the zone I'm always surprised that teams don't be a bit more 'moneyball'. There's always going to be list fillers on lists. Players like Evans, McEntee, etc, you don't always need to go out and draft a kid at pick number 372, you can just dump a few of the crappier players on the list and build up your depth with superior VFL/SANFL players. There's no rule that you can't do that, and no reason why having a super deep reserves side is not good for you.

That's just my opinion.

I get the feeling Woodcock was delisted because the old mate clique didnt like him more than anything. He was much more capable than other options at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling Woodcock was delisted because the old mate clique didnt like him more than anything. He was much more capable than other options at the time.
I get the same feeling with semi-reliable reason, but I have no way to verify that this was the case. Either way, this is the vibe I get.

Boyd Woodcock continues his massive year for Southport, had 33 touches, 1 goal and 14 clearances in the prelim final win against the Bulldogs. I thought maybe we didn't give him enough of a run here

The problem with those sub180-yet-hyperprolific state league mids is they tend to get shoehorned as pressure small forwards at the highest level.

Will Snelling and Sam Gray other examples at Port. David Rodan at Richmond before being moneyballed over to Alberton.

Certainly knows how to find it though.

The problem with those sub180-yet-hyperprolific state league mids is they tend to get shoehorned as pressure small forwards at the highest level.

Will Snelling and Sam Gray other examples at Port. David Rodan at Richmond before being moneyballed over to Alberton.

Certainly knows how to find it though.
Was clearly the difference between the two sides, along with their ruckman who rucked all day and ended up with 71 hitouts

Boyd Woodcock continues his massive year for Southport, had 33 touches, 1 goal and 14 clearances in the prelim final win against the Bulldogs. I thought maybe we didn't give him enough of a run here
The issue I have with not persevering with Woodcock is that we’ve done it with other small players (Neade, McEntee, Evans) who had no more right to be favoured by the coach. I’d be staggered if Woodcock didn’t have a better AFL career after 30-50 games than McEntee or Evans.

The issue I have with not persevering with Woodcock is that we’ve done it with other small players (Neade, McEntee, Evans) who had no more right to be favoured by the coach. I’d be staggered if Woodcock didn’t have a better AFL career after 30-50 games than McEntee or Evans.

Didn’t Woodcock act a bit immaturely on field? Plus the whole dyed blonde hair. Ken Hinkley being old school probably didn’t warm to him compared to McEntee who seems like a goody two shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bit surprised when we delisted Woodcock but his ceiling wasn't heaps high and if he was playing here he'd be a small forward in the vein of Evans or McEntee.

He's dominating as a small midfielder at a lower level. Which puts him in the same category as notable players such as Snelling, Jimmy Rowe, Tom Lewis the list goes on.

Never going to get a gig as a mid at AFL.

Had no traits that suggested he would be a capable AFL small forward. Slow, mediocre agility, small bag of tricks etc.

I think he would be more in the Mead type role, inside and outside player

Agree that that would probably be his best role, but we just didn't play him there at all. There just aren't many midfielders (or any players) who make it at sub 180cm unless they have a few elite qualities

3rd in the Liston, following 2nd place in the two previous seasons. Funnily enough it was Ratkins who came 2nd this year and Dom Brew of Werribee took home the award. Woodcock will be playing in the GF this weekend against Werribee, though I won’t be barracking for the Sharks this year given my Werribee Tigers are up against them. First full standalone GF since AFL clubs got involved in the comp in 2000. Will be interested in how Boyd plays considering Werribee have been the best side all year, should be a fantastic game.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back