Wooden Spoon - an open race?

Remove this Banner Ad

You lost all credibility by putting West Coast and Sydney in that list. Try again:thumbsdown:

West Coast have scored less than Melbourne this year. A complete capitulation is unlikely, but not totally out of the question.

Cant see how the Swans can be considered bottom four though, although with Hall missing, you wouldnt want to lose another key player.

It will not be the Blues.

You'd have to expect Melbourne, Freo, West Coast would be the frontrunners. Port an outside chance given that they basically have no forwards, but a slip from GFist to spooner has to be a long shot.

You`ve just lost 14 games in a row - it could very well be the Blues.

Obviously Melbourne have a fairly strong grip on the spoon at this stage, but there are a number of teams struggling to get a win at the moment. So, who can seriously challenge the Demons for footy's most unwanted prize?

Freo: Have 'won' the spoon before and haven't shown much this season. They beat the Eagles, but they also treat the derby like it's their grand final.

Eagles: Only the one win so far and have been thrashed twice. May win enough games at home to avoid spooning.

Blues: Broke the duck on the weekend, but rely on too few to get the job done. Fev, Judd and 'Fatty' Stevens can't keep the team up forever.

Port: Yet to win a game. This week against the Eagles might determine which of those two teams is most likely to challenge the Dees.

Swans: Unlikely... but, Hall holds the key to their structure and may be out for a while. This puts a lot of pressure on O'Loughlin who has been plagued by injury in the past.

Richmond: May have shown enough spirit in the game against Freo to suggest they can avoid it, but beating Freo at the moment is like out-running a toddler.

Anyone else?

And a grip on the best young ruckman seen for a long, long time.

We might go close now.... way too many injuries to be competitive.

Funny how at 3 quarter time against the doggies we looked a serious top 8 side and 30 minutes later, two hammies, neck, groin, groin and our season comes crashing down.

Funny how at 3 quarter time against the doggies we looked a serious top 8 side and 30 minutes later, two hammies, neck, groin, groin and our season comes crashing down.
Its not all that bad. Your still a Top 8 calibre side.

If your shitter players keep playing well and your stars return in time, your a chance.

Unlike my mob of course where our lesser/shitter players are playing like lesser/shit players and our top liners are either out injured (Embley, Wirra, Lecras) or playing injured (Glassy, Coxy).

Essendon are genuine contender. Their is an unknown in the coach, can he keep the boys spirits up? Also Essendon are a young team that run hard. The older players such as Lloyd are either shadow of their former self or a bit injury prone like Lucas. As the season wears on and their players get tired then skills become vital. Unfortunately as they showed against Geelong, their skills are second rate. Could have 4 wins by mid season and then lose every match after that. Dees would still need to win at least four though, which at this stage looks unlikely.

It will not be the Blues.

You'd have to expect Melbourne, Freo, West Coast would be the frontrunners. Port an outside chance given that they basically have no forwards, but a slip from GFist to spooner has to be a long shot.

The next 5 weeks will tell the Blues story. We have Melboure and Adelaide at the MCG, West Coast at Subi and then Brisbane and Fremantle at the Dome. All potentially winnable games on exposed/current form, but then again im sure each of the other teams would be thinking the same thing. I think we'll win enough in the next 5 weeks to keep us away from the bottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which teams are in line for a priority pick this year if they dont win enough games?

Good to see tigers and blues scoring early wins. Hopefully only dees get it this year.

Essendon are genuine contender. Their is an unknown in the coach, can he keep the boys spirits up? Also Essendon are a young team that run hard. The older players such as Lloyd are either shadow of their former self or a bit injury prone like Lucas. As the season wears on and their players get tired then skills become vital. Unfortunately as they showed against Geelong, their skills are second rate. Could have 4 wins by mid season and then lose every match after that. Dees would still need to win at least four though, which at this stage looks unlikely.

or a bit injury prone like Lucas.

LOL, JB he hadn't missed a game since 2001 :D

Depending on injury the Bombers might miss the 8, but there's still enough structure and spirit in the Bombers to snag some good wins before the year is out. I had them bottom four at the start of the year, but Knights has done enough to make a believer out of me.

Anyone who thinks the Swans are a wooden spoon chance paid attention to nothing that happened after the 22nd minute of the first quarter last Saturday night. Barring ad nauseum replays and the fence collision, he was virtually unsighted for the rest of the night while the rest of the team worked towards the win. Losing him will definitely hurt, but the wound is hardly fatal.

Looking at the Eagles, they've been very ordinary so far, however they are at rock bottom I believe. I dont think they can play any worse then they are. There young players (the have alot) will get better for every game they play and there older players cant play worse then they are!

I think the Eagles will win games late in the season and finish around 10-12. Will struggle to win games in the first half of this season.

Looking at the Eagles, they've been very ordinary so far, however they are at rock bottom I believe. I dont think they can play any worse then they are. There young players (the have alot) will get better for every game they play and there older players cant play worse then they are!

I think the Eagles will win games late in the season and finish around 10-12. Will struggle to win games in the first half of this season.

Not many teams can stay up all the time... and you guys have been up for a while... I wouldn't be suprised to see you guys fall off the pace for a little while... (Not wooden spoon worthy, maybe a season or two out of the 8)

You lost all credibility by putting West Coast and Sydney in that list. Try again:thumbsdown:

Mate, it's one person's opinion. I assume that part of your reason for not having Sydney on the list is that they're your team - which could be part of the reason I didn't put the Crows on there.

Alternatively, I could have put Essendon but their leg speed will trouble a few teams - if their hammys can keep up with the players.

As for the Eagles... I live in WA and they are way off the boil.

Regardless of my opinion, I started the thread to get people talking. On its third page now so must be working. :)

Mate, it's one person's opinion. I assume that part of your reason for not having Sydney on the list is that they're your team - which could be part of the reason I didn't put the Crows on there.

Alternatively, I could have put Essendon but their leg speed will trouble a few teams - if their hammys can keep up with the players.

As for the Eagles... I live in WA and they are way off the boil.

Regardless of my opinion, I started the thread to get people talking. On its third page now so must be working. :)
......melbourne will take some tossing for the spoon.......and i reckon that poor kid Nicholas Natanui (whatever his name is) will go into hiding!:eek:

With the amount of injuries we have at the moment it's possible but I really can't see us finishing below at least Melbourne and probably Carlton and Richmond.

Be careful mate, every chance you will be below us at 5:00 pm on Sunday! Go Blues!

You`ve just lost 14 games in a row - it could very well be the Blues.

Yes, 11 of them in 2007. And we just broke it by beating a potential top 4 side, a side that was a kick away from a GF last year... and it was no fluke, considering we won all over the ground and lead for most of the game. I think the improvement is there to avoid the spoon.

Yes, 11 of them in 2007. And we just broke it by beating a potential top 4 side, a side that was a kick away from a GF last year... and it was no fluke, considering we won all over the ground and lead for most of the game. I think the improvement is there to avoid the spoon.

It wouldn't be that hard to mount a case for Collingwood as wooden spooners. All they've beaten is Freo and Richmond, and they got thumped on Sunday by last year's 15th placed side. Give them a sniff of Naitanui and the wheels could come flying off quicker than a bride's knickers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooden Spoon - an open race?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back