Wooden Spoon - Tigers 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Up until last year we were so far behind most clubs it was frightening.

We finally have 3 full time recruiters, prior to this we had one.

That is pretty scary considering it is a national sport.

This is why our recruiting has had such a poor return, even with good draft picks.

Hope this explains a little to you as to why we get so pissed at cheap shots about our draft failures.

I heard that JON was recruited largely sight unseen. I didn't believe it at the time, but that actually makes sense considering the above.

I actually didn't consider Richmonds financial position as being that weak, or as being a major contributing factor for your current position.

Particularly when you consider that North have been quite successful despite low coin and facilities, and the Saints and Dogs arent exactly finacially secure clubs either.

Plus when you consider Carltons financial woes for the past decade it doesnt really add up.

I mean it might be a factor, but I wouldn't place it as the central problem.

Wasn't there a recent issue with property deals involving Richmond players? It looked to be above board and all that, but surely it was being used as an 'incentive' to keep players at Punt road.

Freo and WCE use similar schemes.

The fact you thought we were quite wealthy probably overrides this comment.

In all honesty, and I am happy to be corrected, but possibly, clubs with similar financial positions may have skimped in other areas to maintain a healthy amount of spending in important areas such as recruitment.

Not sure which areas we concentrated on.

Not a bad topic to discuss if anyone knows, as I certainly dont and am purely specualating on the topic.

I heard that JON was recruited largely sight unseen. I didn't believe it at the time, but that actually makes sense considering the above.

This is so true.

I heard 2 versions, not sure which is true,

1 - We sighted him once in person

2 - Recruited purely on video footage

Either scenario is a bloody disgrace.

The fact you thought we were quite wealthy probably overrides this comment.

In all honesty, and I am happy to be corrected, but possibly, clubs with similar financial positions may have skimped in other areas to maintain a healthy amount of spending in important areas such as recruitment.

Not sure which areas we concentrated on.

Not a bad topic to discuss if anyone knows, as I certainly dont and am purely specualating on the topic.

I stand to be corrected but I thought we didn't put money into those areas and we skimped nowhere else as we just kept making losses despite not putting money into the football department.

I stand to be corrected but I thought we didn't put money into those areas and we skimped nowhere else as we just kept making losses despite not putting money into the football department.

You could be right mate, I am not sure, but if you are right, that is even worse than I thought.

Good post.

We were a shambles post Elliot as well. I'm a firm believer that when things are right off the field, you tend towards better results on it.

FWIW, It'll take at least two or three more years, but Im actually positive for the first time in ages that you guys might be heading in the right direction.
our footy club i believe is still over 4 mil in debt.
rhe club has been in crippling debt since the 80s. hence our abysmal record since that era,
we had the save our skins campagn in the early 90s. leon dapne did agood job and actually got us into the black in 1999. we went into the black by app 100k.
unfortunately politics took over daphne was replaced by casey under the premise we needed to spend more money in the footy dept.
before we knew it we were over 5 mil in debt but little had been spent in recruiting development or list managment i still scratch my head on exactly where the money went under casey. miller also was not without blame he contributed massively to this debt. he over spent in his department by 800k in 02 or 03 but where he over spent who knows.. when casey and then miller came we were in a position to actually put more resources into recruiting and list management but some how it didnt happen. charlatans and spin merchants the pair of them.

when the sleeping giant that is the rfc becomes financially stable we will once again become a power.
i believe for the first time since leon daphne off field we are on the right track. i also believe on field if we stick to our long term plans and processes we will cease to be the afls basket case.

rhe club has been in crippling debt since the 80s. hence our abysmal record since that era,
we had the save our skins campagn in the early 90s. leon dapne did agood job and actually got us into the black in 1999. we went into the black by app 100k.
unfortunately politics took over daphne was replaced by casey under the premise we needed to spend more money in the footy dept.
before we knew it we were over 5 mil in debt but little had been spent in recruiting development or list managment i still scratch my head on exactly where the money went under casey. miller also was not without blame he contributed massively to this debt. he over spent in his department by 800k in 02 or 03 but where he over spent who knows.. when casey and then miller came we were in a position to actually put more resources into recruiting and list management but some how it didnt happen. charlatans and spin merchants the pair of them.

when the sleeping giant that is the rfc becomes financially stable we will once again become a power.
i believe for the first time since leon daphne off field we are on the right track. i also believe on field if we stick to our long term plans and processes we will cease to be the afls basket case.

So long as the debt doesn't blow out it shouldn't be an issue. If we keep going along the path they are taking and we start to be a regular finalist and a real contender then the debt at that time should be taken care of at that time.

Geez Santa, if I didn't know any better I would think there was a hint of positivity in you this evening, no matter how slight it is, i am proud of you LOL.

Seems we really have wasted some money somewhere down the line, and I would love to know if anyone knows where it went???

[/B]

Geez Santa, if I didn't know any better I would think there was a hint of positivity in you this evening, no matter how slight it is, i am proud of you LOL.

Seems we really have wasted some money somewhere down the line, and I would love to know if anyone knows where it went???

lol im just a poor misunderstood supporter.

So long as the debt doesn't blow out it shouldn't be an issue. If we keep going along the path they are taking and we start to be a regular finalist and a real contender then the debt at that time should be taken care of at that time.

We were ****ed at the end of the Elliot era. He had been doctoring the books for the past two decades (wasn't found out until Collins took over) and we had to write off a whole stadium (Princes park). Add to that a fine of a million bucks from the AFL (a fine that would have sunk any other club in the AFL) and we were in some pretty shit.

Luckily we also had a bloke called Pratt to come in and help out or we would've been royally ****ed.

Make no mistake, we probably would have gone under if it wasn't for him.

This is so true.

I heard 2 versions, not sure which is true,

1 - We sighted him once in person

2 - Recruited purely on video footage

Either scenario is a bloody disgrace.
jon was taken on francis jacksons advise. jackson only saw a limited amount of jon. he was recruited mainly on the back of video and an outstanding draft camp. i know for fact miller wanted varcoe at 8.
many who went to the draft night function for the rookie club were over the moon with jon and what was said about him and shown.
personally i was appalled. id seen a bit of him live and didnt rate him at all.

shannon hurn was my pick that draft when he dropped. before he dropped marcus drum was.

one i was keen on was ibbotson another i had seen a bit of. i asked the club to send someone to look at him but was basically ignored. i now realise we didnt have the resources or personell to send someone. hurn and ibbotson would now look good in a richmond jumper dont you think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jon was taken on francis jacksons advise. jackson only saw a limited amount of jon. he was recruited mainly on the back of video and an outstanding draft camp. i know for fact miller wanted varcoe at 8.
many who went to the draft night function for the rookie club were over the moon with jon and what was said about him and shown.
personally i was appalled. id seen a bit of him live and didnt rate him at all.

shannon hurn was my pick that draft when he dropped. before he dropped marcus drum was.

one i was keen on was ibbotson another i had seen a bit of. i asked the club to send someone to look at him but was basically ignored. i now realise we didnt have the resources or personell to send someone. hurn and ibbotson would now look good in a richmond jumper dont you think.

You seem to know quite a bit Santa, and when your knowledge is not drowning in your negativity you are quite the informant :D LOL

And yeah mate, i would be pretty happy with Hurn, I dont know much about Ibbotson to be honest.

Santa,

I had a look at our 2009 financial report and can't find where it says we are in debt 4M.

Every sport analyst and footy fan is saying we are certain to win the spoon.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

I certainly think that under TW in 2009 the players were not playing for him and we did have our best midfielders out for most of the season. (except Del)

I believe, if we have a bit of luck with injuries, we wont finish last.

I reckon Tambo, Del, cotch, foley, cuz, jackson, edwards, and white wil do the job in midfield. Our defence will be back to 2008 form. The only concern is up forward. We need someone to help Reitwolt and Morton. I think Post can do the job, even if some think he is groomed for a CHB position.

Add vickery, simmonds, rance and angus. Ohh yeah don't forget No.3 draft Martin!

I wasn't far off the mark! looking back, i got Edwards, White & Angus correct. We still need someone to help Reitwolt and we all know now who that will be, Big Griffo!!!

Go Tiges, No wooden spoon!:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooden Spoon - Tigers 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back