Woosha

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, and not to take away from your other points, none of the bolded guys were taken with picks under 30. Chad Jones and Callum Wilson were rookie picks, Neates was a PSD pick and Jordan Jones was taken in the 50s. And you've counted Notte twice.

Not true. Tony Notte was pick no.20 in the 2007 draft, , Tom Swift was pick no.20 in the 2008 draft, Weedon was pick no.22 in the 2009 draft, Stevens was pick no.23 in the 2009 draft. I could have added McKinley, pick no.29 in the 2005 draft and Spangher pick no.34 in the same draft, but I am sure you get my point that our recruiting in the past six to eight years has been average.

Not true. Tony Notte was pick no.20 in the 2007 draft, , Tom Swift was pick no.20 in the 2008 draft, Weedon was pick no.22 in the 2009 draft, Stevens was pick no.23 in the 2009 draft. I could have added McKinley, pick no.29 in the 2005 draft and Spangher pick no.34 in the same draft, but I am sure you get my point that our recruiting in the past six to eight years has been average.
He said bolded players.

I said the bolded guys, i.e. the ones I listed out as not being top 30 picks.

You could also have added Ebert and Newman. I'm not quibbling that our recruiting has been below par, just that you can't cite a bunch of PSD and rookie picks as evidence of our wasting top 30 picks.

Fair enough.....but Woosh never just gets handed another contract...WCE dont work like that.

You might need to tell that to the chairman, who came out earlier in the year and said the job was Woosha's if he wants it.

You might need to tell that to the chairman, who came out earlier in the year and said the job was Woosha's if he wants it.

Doesnt mean they dont look at other coaches...just means that they believe they have the right guy for the job.....which i believe is the case.

Well, if I remember correctly, Lynch averaged a goal a game that season while his replacement Gardiner had a massive impact with six possessions kicking 0.2. When you think about the fact that we only lost by four points, playing Lynch (and if Kerr hadn't got injured) could have made the difference.

People really need to get over this 'Lynch would have won us the grand final in 2005' nonsense. His form before he was dropped goal wise

I.e. 6 goals in 7 weeks, he was not the messiah and rightfully got dropped.

i dont think so mate.....dont buy into emotion. If you want to be fair to how the WCE are travelling compare coaches and clubs.

You are buying into the emotion of skewing your view on him by being emotionally attached to Worsfold. You are the one who needs to remove emotions from the topic, sit back and have a proper look at what is going on. It's not like we don't love what Woosha has done at this club, it's more so he is done and there are certainly better Coaches out there. Maybe we wont get that better Coach the first time, but If we settle for Woosha we have knowingly put ourselves behind the eight ball as he isn't the best Coach in the league and that is what the best, strongest and proudest club should have to lead their tea.

People really need to get over this 'Lynch would have won us the grand final in 2005' nonsense. His form before he was dropped goal wise

I.e. 6 goals in 7 weeks, he was not the messiah and rightfully got dropped.

And what he lead us to a GF. So if he did produce one of those two goal efforts we would have won. Every Stat line there is better than what Gardiner produced. Gardiner's biggest concern was making sure he didn't get whacked in the nose so he could still fill it with copious amounts of powder after the game. At least Lynch would have worked hard, he knew the system as that is what he had done all year. You look at Adelaide in '98. They didnt bring Modra back in to the team. Fully fit and with a years play of course he would have been in that team but they knew if it aint broke don't fix it. We on the other hand thought we could reinvent the wheel and pull surprises. Of course hindsights a great thing but we should have looked at Adelaides hindsight.

And what he lead us to a GF. So if he did produce one of those two goal efforts we would have won. Every Stat line there is better than what Gardiner produced. Gardiner's biggest concern was making sure he didn't get whacked in the nose so he could still fill it with copious amounts of powder after the game. At least Lynch would have worked hard, he knew the system as that is what he had done all year. You look at Adelaide in '98. They didnt bring Modra back in to the team. Fully fit and with a years play of course he would have been in that team but they knew if it aint broke don't fix it. We on the other hand thought we could reinvent the wheel and pull surprises. Of course hindsights a great thing but we should have looked at Adelaides hindsight.

Our midfield lead us to 05' grand final, Lynch was barely an influence that year. The deciding factor would have been the Qualifying Final, also against Sydney, where Gardiner kicked 2 goals and Lynch kicked 0.

Like I said, people really need to get over the Lynch love affair from '05 as it wasn't until half way through '06 that he finally made his mark as a forward.

Gardiner is a muppet and Lynch was a workhorse.....so they arent realy the solution to ****all!

Our midfield lead us to 05' grand final, Lynch was barely an influence that year. The deciding factor would have been the Qualifying Final, also against Sydney, where Gardiner kicked 2 goals and Lynch kicked 0.

Like I said, people really need to get over the Lynch love affair from '05 as it wasn't until half way through '06 that he finally made his mark as a forward.

and a shortlived one too. didnt last for 18 months.

To be fair, and not to take away from your other points, none of the bolded guys were taken with picks under 30. Chad Jones and Callum Wilson were rookie picks, Neates was a PSD pick and Jordan Jones was taken in the 50s. And you've counted Notte twice.
Looking at the Jordan Jones pick on its own is not that bad when you only look at it as just pick #52. Doesn't look that crash hot when you look at it as we drafted a short key defender at #52 and left on the table a local player who could fill a genuine hole in the list (Michael Walters went at #53).

Notte true ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I agree. Our midfield lead us in '06 too but more to the point the system we had in place worked all season to get us to the GF. I guess it's just evidence of Woosha's boys club back then as it is now.

Yes I agree. Our midfield lead us in '06 too but more to the point the system we had in place worked all season to get us to the GF. I guess it's just evidence of Woosha's boys club back then as it is now.

The fact we made the GF in '05 with out dysfunctional forward line is a miracle. If it was a boys club Kerr would be getting a game and Lynch would be still at the club so your comment is silly. Lynch was in poor form and rightfully got dropped, there was no big conspiracy about it or playing favorites, he sucked and paid the price for sucking.

I will reiterate, Lynch in '05 was the rubber chested forward who was dropping simple marks and couldn't kick straight, this isn't the romanticized version people remember from half way through '06 on who was suddenly grabbing everything and kicking them from everywhere.

The fact we made the GF in '05 with out dysfunctional forward line is a miracle. If it was a boys club Kerr would be getting a game and Lynch would be still at the club so your comment is silly. Lynch was in poor form and rightfully got dropped, there was no big conspiracy about it or playing favorites, he sucked and paid the price for sucking.

I will reiterate, Lynch in '05 was the rubber chested forward who was dropping simple marks and couldn't kick straight, this isn't the romanticized version people remember from half way through '06 on who was suddenly grabbing everything and kicking them from everywhere.

We will have to agree to disagree. Personally I wouldn't have brought Gardiner in or dropped Lynch especially due to all the changes to the team we had already had. Team cohesion is one of those things that isn't measured by stats that plays a vital part in the way a team works. It's no wonder that the teams that win premierships are often the teams that play together the most. Thats my view of thinking anyhow. Maybe Kerr isn't in the boys club.

We will have to agree to disagree. Personally I wouldn't have brought Gardiner in or dropped Lynch especially due to all the changes to the team we had already had. Team cohesion is one of those things that isn't measured by stats that plays a vital part in the way a team works. It's no wonder that the teams that win premierships are often the teams that play together the most. Thats my view of thinking anyhow. Maybe Kerr isn't in the boys club.

Therein lies the problem. We have been unable to field unchanged teams all season due to our massive number of injuries. The team has not been allowed to gell at all. Look forward to next season when hopefully we have a better injury run and we will see a different result. We have only had THREE players play every game.

re 2005 if you want to blame the blame game we had some no shows that day

sampi and butler barely touched the footy, and that's just from memory - i'm sure there were a heap of other passengers amongst our regular team (excluding the obvious odd selections in gardiner & gaspar)

probably a miracle we got within a goal of them to be fair

I'm sure you mean it took to half way through 06 that he finally took a mark.

Therein lies the problem. We have been unable to field unchanged teams all season due to our massive number of injuries. The team has not been allowed to gell at all. Look forward to next season when hopefully we have a better injury run and we will see a different result. We have only had THREE players play every game.

agreed our second two thirds have been horrid with injuries. At the same time though there are things that we have been doing that this shouldn't effect. Intensity is a key.

One thing that summed our season up this year as pathetic and proved to me there is something greater going wrong with this team than anything else was what I saw at the Doggies game two weeks ago. Im not sure that they showed it on TV, but Josh Hill kicked a goal in the first quarter, a snap set shot. A really decent goal. Not one player went to him to give him high five. NOT ONE. He just walked after a little fist pump and got ready for the bounce. That is fvcken terrible. We are not a team. Haven't been all year. It's been noticeable with our front running and wanting kicks rather than blocking for our team mates. We have been doing shitty hands to players under more pressure and walking away without giving and blocking. I honestly can't tell you how furious I was after I saw that goal and it summed us up perfectly.

Conspiracy theory here,
I heard a couple of weeks ago from a customer at work who apparently has a friend who is quite in with the Eagles that Paul Roo's wife had been seen at a prominent boy's school.
Then with Wooshas announcement that he wanted to stay on I thought the Roo's rumour was just that and blew it off.
On the weekend a guy at golf was saying something similar about Roo's wife being at a boys school over here recently. Two similar rumours from 2 completely different sources.

This got us talking about different things and one of the ideas was that maybe Roo's is a high priority and may have already agreed to come over but doesn't want the media in on it. Woosh was all but gone, retiring at the end of the year then came out with his new plan just the other week. Could that have just been a ruse to cover for Roo's appointment?????? :eek:o_O:eek:

Conspiracy theory here,
I heard a couple of weeks ago from a customer at work who apparently has a friend who is quite in with the Eagles that Paul Roo's wife had been seen at a prominent boy's school.
Then with Wooshas announcement that he wanted to stay on I thought the Roo's rumour was just that and blew it off.
On the weekend a guy at golf was saying something similar about Roo's wife being at a boys school over here recently. Two similar rumours from 2 completely different sources.

This got us talking about different things and one of the ideas was that maybe Roo's is a high priority and may have already agreed to come over but doesn't want the media in on it. Woosh was all but gone, retiring at the end of the year then came out with his new plan just the other week. Could that have just been a ruse to cover for Roo's appointment?????? :eek:o_O:eek:

Mmm that is a bit full on...but maybe there is a small chance Roo's is coming over as part of Wooshas plan to change the structure he was talking about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Woosha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back