World Cup: AUSTRALIA vs Italy

Remove this Banner Ad

Emerton will be a massive loss though. I spose Lucas Neill can come up to play DMC to take his spot but who will take the remainder DC spot ?

Aaron said:
Emerton will be a massive loss though.

Mate Emerton has done nothing for us in the world cup, he has been a liability.

Aaron said:
I spose Lucas Neill can come up to play DMC to take his spot but who will take the remainder DC spot ?

Your struggling if that is what you think Guus is going to do. Why move Neill from the posistion that he has made his own in the cup? Why move him from the posistion where he has beeen our best player?

-Mav

When we beat the Italians (and we will, I have bucket loads of faith) who is the likely opponent?

In the last World Cup in Japan/South Korea 2002 the Italians were knocked out by South Korea and who coached South Korea? Guss that’s who, we play Italy (Come on Guss, we need another master stroke to knock the Italians out.

It’s fait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crows98 said:
When we beat the Italians (and we will, I have bucket loads of faith) who is the likely opponent?

In the last World Cup in Japan/South Korea 2002 the Italians were knocked out by South Korea and who coached South Korea? Guss that’s who, we play Italy (Come on Guss, we need another master stroke to knock the Italians out.

It’s fait.

Exactly, do we play defensive and try for a late winner?

OldMav said:
Its 5pm German time, so that is 1am for the Eastern States, 1:30 am for Adelaide and 11:30pm for Perth?

-Mav

I know it a long running joke but South Australia is 30 mins behind Victoria so that will make it 12:30 am

DaSawx said:

All out attack, that's the Australian way and it’s the way that has worked in the 3 games so far. When ever we have tried to defend and play on the counter we have been found out.

We need to attack from the first kick off and try and score more goals than them, we will not beat Italy by trying to play defensive.

If we go defensive we will get slaughtered. We only know one way and thats all out attack. Italy will try and clog it up i'd imagine, thats their style, if we put in a physical presence and attack them down the flanks, we can give them a scare.

When you put fear into Italian footballers, they collapse. They will find a way to shoot themselves out of the tournament again, either with a bad blunder, own goal, red card.. you name it.

DaSawx said:

That would be dangerous against the Italians. They are good at getting a goal and then defending superbly for the rest of the game, often scoring on the counter attack late in the game. We need to attack from the word go, wouldnt mind seeing Aloisi, Viduka and Kennedy all starting the game. If not all those 3 then at least a couple of them.

-Mav

Fair enough, I only put it out there because that's Korea seemed to do in '02.

I think we need to be more in the middle, we have already conceded 5 goals and lost to a great team when attacking a lot.

I agree playing defensive will get us in trouble but Italy will hurt us if we go all out, they will defend us well then hurt us when it counts.

They will slow it down anyway so we definately have to try and score a couple but can't throw everything at them from the get go

To be fair it wasn't Guus Hiddink who eliminated Italy last time. It was Bryon Moreno.

Looking forward to a terrific clash.

crows98 said:

No idea because it is still so open going into tonight's games, but based on what's been seen so far, we would have no reason to fear them. It will be the winner of top of Group G (France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo) v 2nd in Group H (Spain, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia). Spain won't figure in that equation, and we have no reason to think we couldn't beat any of the other teams.

One worry I have is that, with the reputation that the Aussies have for "over vigorous" play, and the Italian penchant for collapsing like shot birds (not so evident in this world cup i'll admit) if anyone comes near them, will the Aussies on yellow cards be intimidated ?

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup: AUSTRALIA vs Italy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back