World Cup: AUSTRALIA vs Italy

Remove this Banner Ad

Bresh said:
I have a question. Emerton obviously has 3 yellow cards from the group stage, does he still only miss the one match, or does the fact he got sent off see him miss an additional match?

He misses two matches for receiving a red card.

If we continue on he'll be available in the semi-final.

Total Power said:
That is one match i reckon mate, if it was a direct red card then it would have been 2, but 2 yellows resulting in a red card make 1 match suspension.

Yeah sorry mate you're right.

Will be available for the QF should we progress.

Total Power said:
Massive chance to get through to the semis if we beat Italy.

Hopefully we can get past Italy first. But you are right we play either Ukraine, Switzerland or Korea all teams who we are capable of matching it with.

We cannot afford to go behind in this match. This Italian team is much more attacking than their former incarnations, but they still know how to hold onto a lead, although they don't seem too assured.

What does give me hope, is that the US really gave it everything against Italy and ended up dominating. It seems the Italians aren't too flash when under intense physical and mental pressure. The Czechs also had their chances and were limited by only having a half fit Baros.

If we take the lead they could implode, and with all the controversy back home with match fixing, it could be the best time to play the Italians.

Still, I will not be disappointed if we don't win, I am immensely proud of the Socceroos and what they have achieved. I hope this World Cup lays the groundwork for future success.

This is where Italy will really start to improve its game. I'm very proud of the Socceroos' effort to date, but to get over the line against Italy with world class strikers and two of the best centrebacks in the world is going to be a massive ask, even for Guus.

Italy 2-0.

I think I need to clarify some starting times. 1am in Eastern Australia is 11pm here. Which is a bugger for me . How long is the half time break?

I would like to see near enough a similar starting line up to the ones we have had start. Then release Aloisi, Cahill and Kennedy as required.

Fresh legs will be important in this game

Half Time break is fifteen minutes. And you think it's a bugger for you? How about for me, working the hours I do? I had to listen to my walkman yesterday, which ended up breaking just before half time (at least I still was listening when Moore equalised). So for the entire second half I had to rely on the radio at work on nova (a couple of the female staff wouldn't let us listen to ABC or SEN), and SMS updates. An absolute bugger.

I start at 5am on Tuesday, so at least I will be able to watch the game against Italy. And if we get through that, I think we play at 5am either Saturday or Sunday, and thankfully I don't work weekends. :)

X_box_X said:
Half Time break is fifteen minutes.
Hmm best time getting home is 15.5 minutes... but that was at 2am.

I can either finish at 11 or 12 ( or 11.45) times are flexible based on work flow.

Finish 11 I miss the first 20 and see the rest of the game..or take my tv and watch the first half and rush home...aggghhhhh :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all those in Melbourne. If Australia beat Italy. I'm kind of guessing that those from Fed Square will decide to go to Lygon St and therefore it may = ugly.

Grechy said:
For all those in Melbourne. If Australia beat Italy. I'm kind of guessing that those from Fed Square will decide to go to Lygon St and therefore it may = ugly.

We arent like the British, we take our wins graciously. Whats the point in trying to cause trouble, we will just bask in the glory of a victory at Fed Square.

-Mav

Daniele De Rossi is still out suspended for them.

As far as tactics go, I think it will be more about attitude than tactics. Get in their faces, good hard tackling, wind them up, insult their mothers. They'll fall to pieces, they do every time.

Don't go overly defensive but no need to go on the all out attack either. Play a good balanced game and try to maintain as much possession as possible. If things start to go against them they will make mistakes, and we have to capitalise on the opoprtunities we get.

Keep Aloisi and Kennedy on the bench, they have both proven good options to have late in the game.

moomba said:
and we have to capitalise on the opoprtunities we get.

I suppose that is the key to any game, but we can't keep creating 15 chances to just get the 1 or 2 goals.

That is the difference between the good and excellent teams. It is not that Brazil get 90% possesion, create 100 chances, and never let the opposition within 60m of their own goal. It is that Brazil converts chances to goals.

Ronaldo maybe lumbering around like a 40 year German on a Tahitian beach, but he puts his chances away.

The Italians live and die every week in a league where blokes might only see four chances a month and they better bloody well score most of them.

We can't keep throwing the kitchen sink at sides and hoping one eventually falls in.

Grechy said:

Like all the riots that occurred when Australia beat Greece and knocked Croatia out, you mean?

dyertribe said:
Like all the riots that occurred when Australia beat Greece and knocked Croatia out, you mean?

Being reasonable has no place when discussing soccer and ethnic australians. The Greek Australians that wore scarves featuring both nations looked pretty evil and anti-Australia to me. How about all those crazy Croats and their "we love both nations, while we are a bit disappointed for Croatia we really hope the Socceroos can go on to win from here" ways. Absolute monsters mate. Why don't they just go back home to that Yugoslavia!

BTW Grechy I missed Today Tonight's feature piece on whats wrong with Australia (the commerical had dudes with different coloured skin, typical different people!), if you taped it can you please send me a copy?

X_box_X said:
This is where Italy will really start to improve its game. I'm very proud of the Socceroos' effort to date, but to get over the line against Italy with world class strikers and two of the best centrebacks in the world is going to be a massive ask, even for Guus.

Italy 2-0.
Nesta wont be playing

The ONLY thing in Australias way will be the refereeing. The bigger teams have received most of the favours thus far and the Italians will try and fall over, dive, somersault their way to victory.

Aussies 3-1

In Guus we trust ;)

jlc

Aaron said:
Emerton will be a massive loss though. I spose Lucas Neill can come up to play DMC to take his spot but who will take the remainder DC spot ?
You have got to be kidding me :confused:

He has been the least impressive player in the world cup and he server nothing but rubbish down that right side. I can't remember the last time he actually played a good game.

He will not be a loss. In fact, I reckon it will be a plus. Its doubtful whether anyone can suck as much as Emerton has for a while now.

crows98 said:
When we beat the Italians (and we will, I have bucket loads of faith) who is the likely opponent?

In the last World Cup in Japan/South Korea 2002 the Italians were knocked out by South Korea and who coached South Korea? Guss that’s who, we play Italy (Come on Guss, we need another master stroke to knock the Italians out.

It’s fait.
Its not just his success against Italy at international level, have a look at what he did at club level as well. Guus has Italian football pretty much sussed out. He knows what its all about and he does have a strategy that will defeat them.

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup: AUSTRALIA vs Italy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back