World Cup Qualifier: Australia v Qatar

Remove this Banner Ad

that was a good game and i hope we can play like that against our next opponents who ever it may be! a great goal from kennedy and cahill i didnt see the third what was it like?

I thought he looked solid rather than overweight.

He certainly wasnt Mario Jardel thats for sure. As I said it doesnt seem to pose any problems for him in Scotland but maybe a couple kgs off wouldnt be so bad. Certainly a VERY strong player for his size.

For a bunch of blokes who had recently stepped off a plane we sure did play with some fluency tonight.

A special mention to Dave Carney who is growing on me, as well as nuggety Scotty Mac who along with the giant Kennedy will cause many problems through this campaign due to their trapping / heading double threat.

Great seeing the city paved in green and gold before the match, now looking forward to many qualifier road trips to come over the many many months ahead.

Deep fried mars bars for Scotty?
I must of watched a different game(I was behind the 3 goal end). Wilkshire fluffed his first 3 touches, then got better. I just don't see him ever scoring either.
Moore is way too slow now, the main chance Qatar got was because he couldn't keep up with the attacker. Great player and servant for Australia but his retirement is due.

Deep fried mars bars for Scotty?
I must of watched a different game(I was behind the 3 goal end). Wilkshire fluffed his first 3 touches, then got better. I just don't see him ever scoring either.
Moore is way too slow now, the main chance Qatar got was because he couldn't keep up with the attacker. Great player and servant for Australia but his retirement is due.

if your not already aware, he has retired

here's my take on the game anyway.

first half was good, as pim verbeenk (the manager) stated, they played as a team. Given that half these players stepped off the plane 1-3 days ago, they pleyed a real good tempo 60 minutes. Then slightly took their foot off the throttle in an attempt to remain injury free.

Kennedy was such a force in the air, the Qatarians had no theory on how to stop him. PLus the delivery he was getting was a-class. Big thanks to Bresciano, Cahill and to a lesser extent Wilkshire. Kennedy obtained an ankle injury which im sure his European mangager will be wathcing with extreme caution

McDonald made a few chances happen, but largely dissappointed.

Schwarzer was mostly un-tested, but when called upon was solid at best.

Moore picked up a yellow card as per usual. Neill was really solid in defence, and the rest were good also.

Aloisi came on as a sub, and should hav made it 4-0 but got caught up in his own feet, and ended up basically passing it to the Qatar keeper.

Holman was not good (75th min sub)

I think we're on a good wicket with Pim Verbeenk, not afraid to speak his mind and tell the players exactly where they are at.

What a game.

How wild was that 1st half?

2nd half was slightly disappointing.

This is probably the easiest game we're going to get all year. Would've preferred to see some creative players subbed on so we could've built on that lead.

Anyways, still really pumped. Atmosphere was great. Brilliant night.

I was impressed with the performance. Our only real concern is still in defense which is where our main concern has been for the past xxx years, as long as I can remember.

The 3-0 win was well deserved and I thought we did pretty well in the 2nd half at just keeping the ball and not getting into too much trouble. The game was well and truely over at that stage and it was more about learning to keep possession.

My MoM was the other much maligned Brett Emerton. His crosses were very good last night. He also had too much ball control for Qatar to handle.

Thought Wilkshire was quite good after a nervy start.

Kennedy is Australia's most important player for the Asian games.

Any word on Kennedy's injury?

My heart sank when I saw him go down. It just looked as if he rolled his ankle slightly. Im sure we would have heard more about it if it was serious.

Kennedy and McDonald as a combo are going to cause many Asian defences a lot of trouble. Then youve got the likes of Kewell, Bresciano, Carle, Cahill and Sterjovski and theres goals galore. The problem is, and has been for a long time, up th other end. Beauchamp has to keep improving, Milligan and Leijer look ready to take the next step, we need to have a good look at Spiranovic and Kisnorbo should be given one last chance, but not in a Qualifier.

Last night we were able to do as we pleased and its not a real guide as to how good this group, or even how good Qatar really is. The 1-1 draw in the other game helps though.

It was an excellent result and for a first performance with a new coach it was a pretty good display and especially given the lack of preparation.

We will need to lift markedly though, in future games. Areas that need improvement include the finishing. We murdered some guilt edged opportunities and in tougher matches we'll get fewer chances. As a few people have commented we might find goal difference is a factor.

Another thing that concerned me a little was our inability at times to play our way out defence in the second half. We gave the ball away too often and it coincided with Qatar coming at us with more determination.

My best players for us were Emerton, Kennedy, Cahil and Culina.

Looks like the Aussie crowd have started to warm to Verbeek given the response he got when he kicked the ball out of the technical area. I liked his response to the crowd too. We need that feel good factor I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get that early goal was crucial and it just set us up for one of the most comfortable wins that we're ever likely to have.

It's such an exciting time. We've started the long road to World Cup qualification through Asia which is something we've wanted for a long time and we have a bunch of players who are 100% committed to the cause.

Full credit to Verbeek too. With the short amount of time in the job and the unique circumstances that he has to face as an Australian coach I thought he has coped really well and you can't fault him so far.

Unfortunately the honeymoon period is now over and playing at high altitude in China is going to be a massive challenge.

we should have scored 6 or 7 last night...which is a little bit worrying if we need a goal against a harder team and we cant produce it!

we should have scored 6 or 7 last night...which is a little bit worrying if we need a goal against a harder team and we cant produce it!

Odd. I'd understand that type of concern if we struggled all night and limped over the line thanks to a jammy winner that went in off someone's arse, but we scored 3 very good goals and got the job done.

Now the players have had their first real hit out under Verbeek you'd think all facets of play will improve further with the experience.

stupid comment. The game was iced at half time. The players are naturally going to play within themselves at that point in order to conserve themselves for their clubs.
Scoring six or seven goals in a game is great, but it's meaningless if we can't score when it matters, but the lads did that last night, so stop your whining.

Scoring 6 or 7 was only going to fire up Qatar even more to give their all for the return.

Most continental European teams stop playing when they feel the score can get out of hand.

Terrific job last night to come together and play with such synergy in that first half, then cruise from there.

I hope we get plenty of internationals to make the China game (somewhere inland at altitude).

FA should charter a flight from London direct to the city (like they did so well for the Uruguay qualifier 2 years ago but from Aust). Minimise the travel time. Any locally based can fly up from here.

Youd think theyd be able to at least get the players in first class seating if not charter a flight over there. And yes we are the Qantas Socceroos, for marketing purposes anyways.

The China game will be tough no matter what kind of preparation the boys have. It does take a while to adjust to the altitude let alone run around in it for a couple days. Add to that the fact theyll definetly be up for it after the relative ease of which we beat them over there last year and its gonna be a tough night. A draw would be a great result IMO.

Do the first 2 sides in each group gain assess to the next stage or just the winner of the group?

They might be able to get first class to Hong Kong, but I doubt Qantas have a flight to Kumning - agree a charter plane would be ideal, but Lowy paid for that last time even though Qantas do sponsor us. Can't see it happening, and I can't see us having a full strength squad to be honest. I still think we can get at least a point, China haven't done much to impress in recent times.

Onto the game, some yummy stuff early on. The McDonald-Kennedy combo looks very promising, and the wing-backs were excellent. How is Carney's progression from attacking mid to left back? Superb stuff, and he may just be the answer there.

Agree with Ernie, Moore was exposed a little bit the few times Qatar got forward, he has been one of the all time greats but it's time to find a replacement. Just who is a debate for another thread.

Poor old Holman squandered another good chance, but having said that wasn't his blinder of a game in China last year? Might do it again.

Also a few props to Culina and Wilkshire. Our DMF combinations were dreadful all Asian Cup, and I'm sure Culina (along with Grella) would be the first to admit they were terrible in that tournament. It was great to see Culina really make that position his own last night. Will be interesting to see how it develops going forward, but he and Vinnie could be a good partnership away from home protecting the back 4. Valeri also was more than good enough when he came on - why is he playing in Serie B still?

Qatar were dreadful, Forsatti played right into our hands by parking the bus so deep. Hopefully China and Iraq do the same if we have Kennedy or Cahill playing.

Overall a great night though. The ball movement was good, the formation was good and we played attractive football - I can barely recall a long ball. Plenty to look forward to, especially with Iraq and China drawing.

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup Qualifier: Australia v Qatar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back