World Cup Semi Final 1 Tuesday 9 July; India v New Zealand @ Old Trafford.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a nice little slice of karma for the disrespect shown to NZ before this game.
A fair enough sentiment but do you think that if India won the toss that the result would have been the same?

As an Australian supporter I can only pray we win the toss tomorrow because if we don't it's probably curtains

He is the world's best cricketer
Nope. Williamson has him in spades. Kohli did nothing in the series in India against Australia, time and time again isn’t a clutch batsman. I’d give that to Williamson, Warner, hell even Bairstow now. Kohli just burned his opportunities, as usual scoring 1s

This was always coming for India.

For all the talk of Dhoni being to blame here, it was more so team management. They've rested on Kohli, Rohit and Dhawan for far too long and Dhawan's injury is when questions became apparent, KL Rahul is no like for like replacement.

Because of India's refusal to experiment and try Karthik, Pant, Jadhav and/or Rayudu higher up the order to test them meant they never got the match practice to show who actually belonged in the team. Leading up to it, they made the decision to go for Karthik despite no real evidence to suggest he was the right choice and his miserable innings today pretty much showed they got it wrong.

Pant was more to blame today then Dhoni, India were in a decent position and he threw it away, the problem is he has immense talent but once again India's management refused to give him appropriate match experience and he was thrown in the deep end when it was too late. I have no doubt next World Cup we'll see him as one of their best players but they ruined a chance to prep him for this tournament.

Dhoni was and is past it and he'll be scapegoated for this, but the true error lies in the last two years where India wasted an opportunity to build a full team in favour of letting Rohit and Kohli pad their stats and break records. The truth is Dhoni was still the best man for the job based on the current team, because they didn't put any effort into trying to build a replacement for him.

Lastly, Williamson was brilliant. Their batting strategy was a risk but it's clear the whole team believed in their plan and they battled on while Kohli arrogantly thought they were bowling NZ out of the game by keeping Williamson/Taylor to 4 an over in that middle period. On the topic of Kohli he peaked too early and he's probably got one more World Cup to get it right or go down as a pretender. Incredible stats but he's failed in terms of captaincy and batting at every major event.

Yeah bit ego driven I think wanting to be the closer or whatever.

If he went for it at least 3-4 overs earlier he may of gone out but may of got some more runs quickly, meaning Jadeja wouldn’t of had to go as hard later on.
Not a pitch where you can rely on the other batsman to go at Sr 200% and go at 50% yourself. Just not realistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Williamson has him in spades. Kohli did nothing in the series in India against Australia, time and time again isn’t a clutch batsman. I’d give that to Williamson, Warner, hell even Bairstow now. Kohli just burned his opportunities, as usual scoring 1s

Pfft Kohli has played heaps of clutch test innings

Even if they can get Kohli and Rohit out cheaply I think New Zealand still have to bank on Williamson and Taylor both going big to have any chance. Should be an easy win for India (although if they're chasing can't rule out Dhoni tanking the innings to bring it down to the wire).

I don't buy this one sided affair assessment. New Zealand, through Boult are probably in with the best chance of anyone to knock over Sharma early and Ferguson is perfect for the middle overs (it's no surprise Australia has improved since adjusting Cummins to the same role). Santner is bowling superbly too.

Couple of decent calls before the match.

“Heads should roll”
“Dhoni when will the torture end”

They’re awesome at melting

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup Semi Final 1 Tuesday 9 July; India v New Zealand @ Old Trafford.

Back