Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2003
C. Ling > Fabio
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics, Storm, Victory
What is the worst act in the AFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL/QAFL/TFL?

A few I can remember.

Dermott head stomping Tallis

Filandia the ball biter

Buckley the blood smearer

Leigh Matthews king hit behind play.

I am sure there are plenty more.

Watching a top full forward continually diving for free kicks and dumba55 umpires who continually pay them. That gets on my **** because this particular player is good enough to earn his kicks.

regards,

REB

How about the time when Lockett nearly killed Peter Caven.

Then in the SANFL there was the infamous day that Port's David Granger went bunta, trying to kill everyone. King hit Cornes and if my memory is right he broke a guys leg by kicking him.

Crowked said:
How about the time when Lockett nearly killed Peter Caven.
that was Filandia after he moved to Port Melbourne.
For mine -
Williams and the Umpire
The Bloodbath of 1945
Essendon players throw the game against the VFA premiers in 1924 (and that's how we got the Bulldogs)
Carlton plays dead early last Century
Collins robs Grant of a Brownlow... but then again, that's off field

Thug Bickley's elbow on Wakelin, that broke his jaw at a crucial time of the season. Absolutely disgraceful act by a player who always seemed to enjoy taking cheap shots in shwodowns, from the first ever showdown played, when he unfairly took out Wangas in the first quarter. That is honestly the worsed thing i've seen on a footy ground.

I now await a number of references to David Grainger from Crwos supporters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LongBomb said:
Definitely the Matthews dog act behind play.

Buckley's does not even compare.

Don't be an silly whiny girl.
Nev Bruns was an gutless sniper who had been felling players with cheap shots for years, and finally got what was coming to him.
I reckon some of Matthews legendary status as an footballing icon was etched the day he broke Bruns jaw.

celtic_pride said:
Nev Bruns was an gutless sniper who had been felling players with cheap shots for years, and finally got what was coming to him.
I reckon some of Matthews legendary status as an footballing icon was etched the day he broke Bruns jaw.
Something to be proud of eh?

PowerKop said:
Thug Bickley's elbow on Wakelin, that broke his jaw at a crucial time of the season. Absolutely disgraceful act by a player who always seemed to enjoy taking cheap shots in shwodowns, from the first ever showdown played, when he unfairly took out Wangas in the first quarter. That is honestly the worsed thing i've seen on a footy ground.

I now await a number of references to David Grainger from Crwos supporters

You wont get an argument out of me on that one, it was a terrible act. An act that can never be justified. He did regret it afterwards though.

Ive already mentioned Granger before your post. His acts in that Prelim against Glenelg were at least 10 times worse than Bickleys and I wouldnt mind betting he still doesnt regret it, or being a drug growing/dealing low life.

Gary Ablett Snr is responsible for a couple of the worst I have seen.

Breaking Bardsley face, taking out Nathan Burke in that final, attempting to remove one of John Gastev's kidneys with his knee to name a few.

Blatantly malicious and dangerous.

Michael Long's bump on Troy Simmonds in the 2000 GF- still makes me feel sick, he could have killed him/broked his neck.

rampantswan said:
What is the worst act in the AFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL/QAFL/TFL?

A few I can remember.

Dermott head stomping Tallis

Filandia the ball biter

Buckley the blood smearer

Leigh Matthews king hit behind play.

I am sure there are plenty more.

My memory is that Dermot's "stomp" was more urban myth than fact. Tallis didn't have a mark on his face and no Hawk players ran in to remonstrate with the Kid. And he still copped 7 weeks for reputation!!!

Cos

celtic_pride said:
Yeah, what a tough guy hitting someone with their back turned, 80 metres off the ball.
The only reputation Matthews earned that day was the shame of being the only player to be charged by the police for an on field incident.

Moron.

celtic_pride said:
Let's not kid ourselves that Bruns was a one off for Mathews. Mathews was one of the best and most influential players of all time but he was no choir boy. Even for his era he was a dirty player.

As for the Bruns incident itself, it was probably no worse than quite a few over the years like Grinter on Wallace. The Greening incident has to rate up there even if just for the damage done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back