Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually it was Jim O'Dea. Here is a bit of text I found about it on the net. It says O'Dea got a 10 match suspension for the incident, but I thought it was 22 matches for some reason. I will have to check. :)

"It was also difficult for the Collingwood players who witnessed the aftermath of the behind-play felling of their teammate, John Greening, at Moorabbin in round 12, 1972.

St Kilda's Jim O'Dea received a 10-match suspension for the incident, but Peter McKenna recalls that the initial fear as Greening's teammates ran towards their prostrate young wingman was that they would find him dead.

After the initial shock, linked to the fact the incident had gone unseen, came the long period of Greening's unconsciousness, the fear of brain damage, the loss of speech.

Greening recovered - unlike his career. "He was probably the most talented player I ever played with," said McKenna, who can recall Greening's spectacular return against Richmond 18 months later, but only for a handful of senior games."

Bentleigh said:
Greg Williams getting 50 touches (close to) in a game and not getting a vote, thus losing the brownlow.

Touche ...

BTW Pies fans still have have an chip on their shoulder over the Greening incident (IE TESS who is still very bitter about the Saints today over the actions of ONE, yes ONE player)
No one can seriously tell me that the St.Kilda bloke went out and tried to kill Greening on purpose, if that were the case he would have been sent to jail.

iameviljez said:
Ok...
In 1924 the then-premiers (Essendon) played against the VFA premiers, Footscray, in an end-of-season match. Many Essendon players were rumoured to have played dead for bribes, including the captain (there's a famous quote: "Why grouch? You could've been in the cut-up, too" from one player to another) and the VFL was so impressed that they let the Bulldogs into the competition.
It wasn't only for that reason they let Footscray in. Secondly, no one knows for sure if they did take bribes, but several Essendon players accused each other of playing poorly at half time and a brawl amongst the team insued.

sherb said:
Absolutely, it was the worst I have ever seen or heard of in 35 years of following the game, for that very reason.

O'Dea's thuggery put Greening in a coma, and I think he may have also come out of it all with some brain damage.

As well, despite making a comeback to football a couple of years later, Greening was never the same player and the incident effectively ruined his career. God only knows what it did to him outside of football.

I remember watching John Greening play for Collingwood when I was a kid and he was a star. He really could have been anything if his career had not been cut short.

Still to this day I despise O'Dea for what he did.
Cue MGreg.

By all accounts from posters on this thread this was a real dog act.

Others not mentioned:
Jimmy Edmonds on Russell Morris was a massive hit - and he was never the same after that;
Carl Ditterich on Terry Cahill;
Lazar Vidovic on quite a few, although there was never any hint of King hitting with good old Lazar;

celtic_pride said:
Touche ...

BTW Pies fans still have have an chip on their shoulder over the Greening incident (IE TESS who is still very bitter about the Saints today over the actions of ONE, yes ONE player)
No one can seriously tell me that the St.Kilda bloke went out and tried to kill Greening on purpose, if that were the case he would have been sent to jail.
They have every right to have a chip on their shoulder. It is true that the action was by one man and I fail to see what the current side have done to be straddled with the thuggery of O'Dea.

JUBJUB said:
Peter Worsfold decking Paul Couch [ or was it Hinkley] in the early 90's was one of the worst acts I've seen.

He was playing for the Bears and they were being slaughtered,so Throbbie Balls sent a few players [Hardie was one ] out after halftime to deck some Geelong players.I think 2 Geelong players were stretchered off and another carried off concussed.

Worsfold got about 6 weeks.
It wwas Hinkley. He was absolutely killing them and was best on ground at that stage. He went off on the strecher just before half time. May have cost him a Brownlow as he did not poll in that game yet only finished 2 votes behind the eventual Brownlow winner.

Banks king hitting up Rhys-Jones and Grinter doing likewise to Wallace stand in my mind.

Cowardly acts, especially as these players were going for the ball.

mocaholic said:
Cue MGreg.

By all accounts from posters on this thread this was a real dog act.

Others not mentioned:
Jimmy Edmonds on Russell Morris was a massive hit - and he was never the same after that
That reminds me of Bears scorebard, which flashed up "COP THAT" as Morris lay there, doing a Hulk Hogan impersonation, with his muscles twitching involuntarily.

Mero said:
That reminds me of Bears scorebard, which flashed up "COP THAT" as Morris lay there, doing a Hulk Hogan impersonation, with his muscles twitching involuntarily.
The nastiest hit that I ever saw (your post reminded me of it), although obviously accidental, was Lewis on Osbourne. I thought he had brain damage.
Also when Dunstall had his head caved in.

On that note the worst "friendly fire" incidents would have to be Hird & McVeigh at Subiaco and Shaun Hart & Bradshaw in the preliminary final this year.

Shaun Hart's wins by a couple of fractures...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

likka said:
On that note the worst "friendly fire" incidents would have to be Hird & McVeigh at Subiaco and Shaun Hart & Bradshaw in the preliminary final this year.

Shaun Hart's wins by a couple of fractures...
Jarrod Molloy just missed Mark Mercuri in a night game and ended up knocking out Tarkyn Locker which didn't look good for a while.

Bombers 2003 said:
The most disgraceful thing i ever saw in Football was ------'Diesel' playing the game,full stop.
Thankyou Bombers2003 for reminding me.
Dean Wallis on Milham Hanna.
Jason Johnson on Kouta. You'e suppose to watch the ball when running with the flight not your opposition. Cost him a brownlow.
Seems to be a common occurence with sides coached by sheedy.

"I am evil homer."

Greg Williams pushing umpire Andrew Coates after the siren in rd 1 1997 vs Essendon

Dermotts head stomping Tallis in a pre season game for Sydney against
hawthorn.

Peter Filandia biting someones balls.

A VFL player pushing an umpire over years back and got 10 years suspension.

A VFL player tripping an umpire years back.

collingwood vs western bulldogs a few seasons ago, i think 2000 or 2001?

i cant remember who the player was, but in the opening bounce, a player just charged at paul williams and knocked him out

just made me sick that it was the first act of the game.

the player was on the wing. I was sitting right behind him fairly close, so all i saw was the player run directly at paul williams, who wasnt exactly near the ball. Very deliberate act. As far as i remember there was no report.

And that concludes my story on why i hate terry wallace. Dog of a coach (it was fitting that he was coaching the dogs)

and i cant believe people have listed greg williams' incident to be one of the worst they've seen.

seriously... how bad was it

the guy merely nudged an umpire.... oh the horror!

Probably the worst one was John Burke (Collingwood) in the Army Reserves Cup game at South Melbourne back in '85, when he intententionally kicked a Sydney Swan player, was reported then decked the umpire, and whacked the Collingwood runner, and then for the encore, hopped the fence as he was running along the boundary line after he got dragged and punched a bloke down and hopped back over and walked off.
"Slug" Jordan's infamous commentary on that scene was unforgettable - "Geez e's give 'im one too, he's done well".

Mal Brown at the Adelaide Oval in the '72 Carnival Series when he punched about six Carlton blokes. Bar room brawl type thing.

Jimmy Edmond whacking Russel Morris at Carrara in the late 80's and seeing Morris twitching all over the place while he was out cold.

Grinter whacking Wallace at the Western Oval was another.

David Rhys-Jones going beserk at North Hobart in the TFL and whacking about 4 Hobart blokes out in one quarter, which almost started a riot in the crowd as Hobart supporters started hurling projectiles out onto the field at North Launceston players.

Tony "Tats" Brand belting Hobart's Tony Marchant at York Park behind play, which saw a massive all-in which split over the fence and into the crowd.

Darren Winter (Clarence) king-hitting Tony Morwood in the 1990 TFL Prelim Final, in the second quarter was a cheap shot, as was Greg Farquhar knocking Alistair Lynch out cold in the '87 TFL 1st Semi Final when Hobart were running all over Clarence.

Dale Weightman (South Launceston) putting Shawn Satori's (Sandy Bay) lights out behind the play at North Hobart, which was captured on TV - not good at all.

Dale Whish-Wilson (Burnie Hawks) throwing the ball at the boundary umpires head at KGV when he was annoyed about a ball being called out-of-bounds.
He was sent off and refused to leave, the game was abandoned amid ugly crowd scenes.

And Danny Noonan breaking Marcus Todman's jaw in the '95 TFL Grand Final, while they were standing beside each other, I remember the William Leitch Medal that Noonan won and the North Launceston table giving him the raspberry and heckling him when he was receiving his medal. :D

SOUTHERN TIGER said:
Mal Brown at the Adelaide Oval in the '72 Carnival Series when he punched about six Carlton blokes. Bar room brawl type thing.
If this is the incident I'm thinking of Carlton players were giving the WA (East Perth?) boys a working over. Mal was Captain/Coach and told his young charges not to retaliate. At Three qtr? time Mal had had enough and told his players not to worry he'll handle this and decked six Victorians.

The Greening Incident has to be the worst. In the Collingwood Encyclopedia they mention that "Greening was knocked unconsious by a severe hit to the head 70 YARDS OFF THE BALL." The blow cut oxygen to his brain for a period and he was unconsious for 24 hours. Later Greening's wife tried to file an assault charge on O'Dea.

Other acts include Jess Sinclairs elbow on Lance Picione and all of the eyegouging incidents.

SOUTHERN TIGER said:
Dale Whish-Wilson (Burnie Hawks) throwing the ball at the boundary umpires head at KGV when he was annoyed about a ball being called out-of-bounds.
He was sent off and refused to leave, the game was abandoned amid ugly crowd scenes.

Without doubt the biggest thug Tas football has ever seen.

Worst acts: Neville Bruns eye gouging Dipper
Wanganeen kicking.

Its one thing to hit someone but to eyegouge and kick brings you down to the level of an Italian footballer. Only thing below that is spitting in someones face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back