Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Cos said:
My memory is that Dermot's "stomp" was more urban myth than fact. Tallis didn't have a mark on his face and no Hawk players ran in to remonstrate with the Kid. And he still copped 7 weeks for reputation!!!

Cos

No myth, its fact. Seen it many times. A very low act indeed and certainly worthy of 7 weeks. As cowardly as it gets IMO.

MarkT said:
Let's not kid ourselves that Bruns was a one off for Mathews. Mathews was one of the best and most influential players of all time but he was no choir boy. Even for his era he was a dirty player.

As for the Bruns incident itself, it was probably no worse than quite a few over the years like Grinter on Wallace. The Greening incident has to rate up there even if just for the damage done.

Not condoning it at all, but yes he also copped it too. Gave as good as he got

while on topic, Banks on Rhys Jones, Williams v Ryhs Jones was always worthy of a mention

cheers

MarkT said:
Let's not kid ourselves that Bruns was a one off for Mathews. Mathews was one of the best and most influential players of all time but he was no choir boy. Even for his era he was a dirty player.

As for the Bruns incident itself, it was probably no worse than quite a few over the years like Grinter on Wallace. The Greening incident has to rate up there even if just for the damage done.

That is an surprisingly fair and accurate assessment of Matthews MarkT, esp considering that thread you started (more Mathews garbage) one would think that you had it in for Lethal Leigh.
I have no memory of the Greening incident oddly enough.

Crowked said:
You wont get an argument out of me on that one, it was a terrible act. An act that can never be justified. He did regret it afterwards though.

Ive already mentioned Granger before your post. His acts in that Prelim against Glenelg were at least 10 times worse than Bickleys and I wouldnt mind betting he still doesnt regret it, or being a drug growing/dealing low life.
Oh my god i don't believe it. A Crows fan admits it was a terrible act and doesn't try making bull******** excuses for Bicks. Well done mate. And yes what David Granger did was far worse and was also not a one off.

LongBomb said:
Can you elaborate on these two?
Ok...
In 1924 the then-premiers (Essendon) played against the VFA premiers, Footscray, in an end-of-season match. Many Essendon players were rumoured to have played dead for bribes, including the captain (there's a famous quote: "Why grouch? You could've been in the cut-up, too" from one player to another) and the VFL was so impressed that they let the Bulldogs into the competition.
I think the second one was in 1910 (yeh, that's right), the year after the players all sacked Jack Worrall, Carlton played Collingwood in the Grand Final and the city buzzed with a bribery scandal after they lost. Two Carlton players were suspended for life; Alex "Bongo" Lang was suspended for a number of years then returned later on. Imagine if anyone did that now.

BTW - although Bruns was definetely an annoying little sniper, he still didn't deserve to be smashed by Matthews behind play like that.

RodgerFox said:
Gary Ablett Snr is responsible for a couple of the worst I have seen.

Breaking Bardsley face, taking out Nathan Burke in that final, attempting to remove one of John Gastev's kidneys with his knee to name a few.

Blatantly malicious and dangerous.

I remember Snr taking out Gastev a little late in 1993. It wasn't really reportable, just a 50, but jeez I wouldn't have wanted to have been on the end of it

Cos said:
My memory is that Dermot's "stomp" was more urban myth than fact. Tallis didn't have a mark on his face and no Hawk players ran in to remonstrate with the Kid. And he still copped 7 weeks for reputation!!!

Cos
The Footy Show did a run of Dermot's clips at the end of last season. One of them was him knocking Tallis to the ground, then when Tallis was down on his front with his head to the side Dermot stood on the side of his face and kept walking. How he only got 7 weeks for that is beyond me considering what gets handed out today.

mickrocks1 said:
Michael Long's bump on Troy Simmonds in the 2000 GF- still makes me feel sick, he could have killed him/broked his neck.
As drunk as i was watching that, i was fuming!! shocking stuff.

IN the TFL, a few years back a player called Danny Noonan in the Grand Final smashed Marcus Todman's Jaw very badly.

He was suspended, but as the suspension didn't impede his current year or next year's B&F chances, he won the next year and people booed (quite rightly so!)/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rampantswan said:
What is the worst act in the AFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL/QAFL/TFL?

A few I can remember.

Dermott head stomping Tallis

Filandia the ball biter

Buckley the blood smearer

Leigh Matthews king hit behind play.

I am sure there are plenty more.

Jonathan Brown's headlock!!!!!!

Peter Worsfold decking Paul Couch [ or was it Hinkley] in the early 90's was one of the worst acts I've seen.

He was playing for the Bears and they were being slaughtered,so Throbbie Balls sent a few players [Hardie was one ] out after halftime to deck some Geelong players.I think 2 Geelong players were stretchered off and another carried off concussed.

Worsfold got about 6 weeks.

sainter12riewoldt said:
He ********ed on the floor and the ******** splashed up on her. Get your facts straight before you speak. That right Tigers supporters can't.
So you condone the fact that he ********ed there in the first place :confused:

JUBJUB said:
Peter Worsfold decking Paul Couch [ or was it Hinkley] in the early 90's was one of the worst acts I've seen.

He was playing for the Bears and they were being slaughtered,so Throbbie Balls sent a few players [Hardie was one ] out after halftime to deck some Geelong players.I think 2 Geelong players were stretchered off and another carried off concussed.

Worsfold got about 6 weeks.

Who was it who tried to pull out one of Buddha's eyes at KP? Think it was a Coaster. (PS - he could've gotten off too if he'd called it "cosmetic surgery")

MarkT said:
The Greening incident has to rate up there even if just for the damage done.

Absolutely, it was the worst I have ever seen or heard of in 35 years of following the game, for that very reason.

O'Dea's thuggery put Greening in a coma, and I think he may have also come out of it all with some brain damage.

As well, despite making a comeback to football a couple of years later, Greening was never the same player and the incident effectively ruined his career. God only knows what it did to him outside of football.

I remember watching John Greening play for Collingwood when I was a kid and he was a star. He really could have been anything if his career had not been cut short.

Still to this day I despise O'Dea for what he did.

Greg Williams punching Lean Baker in the face at Windy Hill when playing for Sydney.
Baker had been tagging him, and Williams held his head down with one hand and smashed his face in with the other.
He fractured his cheek bone, and the club were calling plastic surgeons out of the crowd to check him out in the rooms.
Baker finished the season and retired.

Leigh Matthews also king hit Peter Giles at the MCG, and Steven Smith at Princes Park within a year. And by King Hit, I mean belting a bloke not looking or expecting it. He may have been a brave player, but those were gutless acts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back