Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

You might have the trifecta if you include Lobb.

I suppose Lobb has displayed occasional ability… is there a thread for biggest waste of talent?
I disagree with that, I think Lobb has put in a pretty decent career - but his best years have been wasted at a bit of a nothing team over in Fremantle.

If he had played in a side that regularly went deep into September over the last five years, he'd be seen differently. Guys who kick 30+ goals while spending plenty of time in the ruck don't grow on trees.

I disagree with that, I think Lobb has put in a pretty decent career - but his best years have been wasted at a bit of a nothing team over in Fremantle.

If he had played in a side that regularly went deep into September over the last five years, he'd be seen differently. Guys who kick 30+ goals while spending plenty of time in the ruck don't grow on trees.
Doesn’t he also own the record for most contested marks in a game?

Edit: Nope. He took 8, the record is 10.

Mitch Thorp top 10 draft pick and gave the Hawks 2 games of Manure

Just too much of a headcase to make it at the highest level.

He seemed to be doing ok in Tassie but no one gave him another shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the draft was a lot different back than but I never saw this guy play but he must have been bad to only play 4 games as number #1 pick Richard Lounder apparently he kicked 4 goals on debut so their might be worse than him idk.

Israel folau wasn’t far off

If you watched this weekends games you'd probably say Liam Duggan... I was shocked to hear he was made captain...

As far as players who were given excruciating amounts of time to prove themselves and still never did, the name Tim O'Brien springs to mind.

Crossed to the dogs and has disappeared. Don't even know if he's still there without looking it up....

I know the draft was a lot different back than but I never saw this guy play but he must have been bad to only play 4 games as number #1 pick Richard Lounder apparently he kicked 4 goals on debut so their might be worse than him idk.
The Draft was a shadow of what it is now.

I mean, have a look at the list of number one picks - the first genuine star to go at 1 was Riewoldt, in 2000... and then you get hit after hit.

Didn’t he get his leg smashed?
Mitch Thorp had no luck with injury. Constant niggles plus a few serious injuries which prevented him from ever getting a clear run at it. He broke the sesamoid bone in his foot and needed surgery to pin it and remove bone fragments. Lost a season with that. Even more problematic was a hip injury which required two operations.

He ended up playing some decent footy down in the Tassie league and skippered a TSL premiership for South Launceston, but his injuries had robbed him of any pace & agility he showed as a highly promising 17-year-old forward. He still showed skill and obvious ability, but he was a shell of the athlete he once was.

I'd put Thorp in the same category as Scott Gumbleton from that same 2006 Draft as two promising young CHFs whose careers were ruined by injuries.

The majority of the 1st Round draft picks who never made it usually had a history of debilitating injuries. But this doesn't stop all the oxygen thieves from bagging them out on Big Footy. (Usually people who never played the game and have NFI)

Last edited:
Mitch Thorp had no luck with injury. Constant niggles plus a few serious injuries which prevented him from ever getting a clear run at it. He broke the sesamoid bone in his foot and needed surgery to pin it and remove bone fragments. Lost a season with that. Even more problematic was a hip injury which required two operations.

He ended up playing some decent footy down in the Tassie league and skippered a TSL premiership for South Launceston, but his injuries had robbed him of any pace & agility he showed as a highly promising 17-year-old forward. He still showed skill and obvious ability, but he was a shell of the athlete he once was.

The majority of the Top 10 draft picks who never made it usually had a history of debilitating injuries. But this doesn't stop all the oxygen thieves from bagging them out on Big Footy. (Usually people who never played the game and have NFI)

I'd put Thorp in the same category as Scott Gumbleton from that same 2006 Draft as two promising young CHFs whose careers were ruined by injuries.
Not all were injury derailed.

Jon O’Rourke was just a potato.

Not all were injury derailed.

Jon O’Rourke was just a potato.
Or they weren't mentally fit for AFL footy and didn't really want to play. e.g. Tom Boyd and Cam McCarthy

Lots of reasons why players don't make it.

But it doesn't change the point I made about injuries to the likes of Thorp, Gumbleton, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back