Worst Coaching move

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by dyertribe
Eh? You're certainly saying it now though aren't you and that was the crux of your point - if Spider had've played there would have been no Jarman/Shanahan controversy as Everitt could have filled the hole etc, then it so follows that without Jarman's goals the Crows would have lost.
My point was simply the fickleness of the post GF/career assessment of Alves who overall I reckon did a great job at St. Kilda. I don't disagree about you the Crows having players out as well as St. Kilda. That one late season incident with Everitt who was a hugely important player at the time had a big impact on Alves and Shannahan though.

My what if was a simple observation in relation to comments about Alves being seen to have made a big mistake (which I agree he made) and how much less that mistake might have meant. No need for the Crows defensiveness to rear its head. You points are valid but in a different context and for a different reason. If you are right and all these players did play then in all likelihood Alves would still not be remembered as the coach that left Shannahan on Jarman because the whole game would have been different and it's probably not likely Jarman would have been at FF or alternatively that it would have been the difference.

Man, all this for a throw away observation.;)

Originally posted by CJH

Spud starting Rodan in the backline. Someone who is 172cms and useless above his head has no place being in defence.

Rodan has been badly misused and wasted by Frawley.

I remember when Rodan was used to tag Leon Davis in the round 1, 2003 game and while he did a good job, it was a complete waste of his attacking talents. This was on a night when Collingwood's midfield was undermanned as well.

Even worse was when Rodan was used as a tagger on Paul Williams in the game against the Swans last year - Williams understandably cut him up in the first quarter and helped the Swans get off onto the good start that led to eventual victory.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

Alan Joyce's coaching in the 1993 final against Adelaide cost us the match, and possibly a flag. Numerous stupid matchups saw Stuart Wigney dominate (yes, Stuart Wigney) and the likes of Platten and Crawford sit on the bench whilst Ricky Nixon started in the centre square. He lost the plot that day.

There was an interview in the Herald Sun a few weeks back with Alan Joyce where he virtually admitted that his coaching cost the Hawks the game - he nominated his failure to move quickly enough to shut down Nigel Smart as being the major stuff-up.

As for Stan Alves' move of Shanahan onto Jarman, he goes into that in detail in his autobiography from a couple of years ago. I haven't got a copy of it in front of me but I think he mentions how he would've liked to have moved Nathan Burke onto him but Burke was too greatly needed in the midfield to shift onto him.

Originally posted by melbournemartin
Trent Croad being drafted by hawthorn in the first place

i'm not "leaping" to his defence, but in croad's defence, who would draft him then? are you suggesting he should have not been drafted by anyone at all?

2003 Qualifying final Port v Sydney

Choco playing our no.1 ball winner in Nick Stevens at Full Forward to "break a tag" before the game even started and not moving him into the middle until half time despite Sydneys midfield destroying us in the 2nd quarter.

Choco playing Wakelin on Barry Hall. Hall killed Wakelin in the H&A match but didnt make it count on the scoreboard. This time he did. Waited until Hall kicked 6 or 7 goals in the first 2 and a bit quarter to make a move.

2003 Prelim Final

Choco playing a one man tall forward line allowing Collingwood to triple team Tredrea out of the game and easily run the ball out of defence all day long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terry Wallace's innovative coaching won the Doggies many a game, but......he also had some shockers!!!!

1997 PF....leaving Todd Curley on Darren Jarman in the last Q
and not putting Granty down back to help stop the bleeding.

1998 PF...Bubba Smith on Robran
Tony Liberatore on McLeod

2000 R22...using the "ultraflood" against Hawthorn - the Hawks had a week to study and counter it. The Dogs lost and a week later ended their season at the Gabba with a QF loss to the Lions.

Originally posted by JeffDunne
The funny thing is, I'm yet to hear a compelling argument for who he should have swapped him with.

Winmar, he'd done SFA to that stage up forward. Worth a punt.

Interesting that people have a go at Peter Knights over moving his team in the shade at 3/4 time, yet praise Leigh Matthews for introducing ice vests ,or even sending the team into refrigerated vans ,in the hope of acheiving the same goal - cooling the players down. Every club takes these steps today at breaks, had nothing to do with the loss that day, brisbane just played a freakishly good last quarter kicking goals from everywhere.

Originally posted by Mark Viduka
The Worst coaching move was Robert Shaw uprooting his family and going to Moronville to coach the Adelaide Crows only to be subjected to fans spitting on him, death threats against his family and his car and house vandalised.

yeah, like you were there.

Originally posted by Stealth bomber
Any experiment involving Mark Bolton or Aaron Henneman as ruckman.

wot about Sheeds as Victorian coach playing Kevin Walsh as a starting ruckman for Victoria against SA in 85 or 86 (?)

he's a funny man!

David Parkin going into the 93 GF with Scholl, Powell and Athorn while Kouta, Dean and a fired up Dora were on the sidelines

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst Coaching move

Remove this Banner Ad

Back