Roast Worst Commentary Team Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

which is interesting because it was a box of self-admitted, card carrying Collingwood haters. didn't really hear it myself, but getting quartermain, walls or lane to praise anything Collingwood is usually like getting blood from a stone. they hate us.

They weren't barracking for Collingwood rather they just talked about Collingwood the whole game, everything in the game was related back to Collingwood, Crows win a contest because Collingwood made a mistake etc. At the end of the first quarter it was all about how it was Collingwood's lowest ever quarter time score this year etc no real praise for the Crows just that Collingwood were playing badly etc , nearly every comment of the night basically related to Collingwood.

They did mention that Adelaide had 9 players missing from last years game against Collingwood.
But they did not mention that the Crows team was their youngest ever.

Also, the Pies have been playing at the MCG for 6 weeks and they had played on the previous Friday night.
Whereas the Crows had played in Brisbane on the Sunday afternoon in 25 degree heat.
Two days less recovery and two interstate games in a row.
It's a wonder that was not mentioned.

are we surprised? of any sport in the whole world, afl commentators are the worst. bunch of unoriginal cliche-spitting biased boring w***ers :thumbsu:

It wasn't so much that they were barracking for Collingwood as much as it was that they were not giving any credit to the Crows for anything we did. Everything that went right for Collingwood was because Collingwood are great, and anything that went right for us was that Collingwood are not great at the moment. They routinely commented how "once Collingwood gets up and running", we were going to get run off the park.

They went into the game declaring the Crows were no chance whatsoever and they commented the entire match in that same frame of mind, attributing every Crows effort to a lack of effort from Collingwood.

I see, and agree that if so, it's pretty poor. Unfortunately, most commentary teams seem to do this for each match - decide pregame a theme or story for the game/night, and follow it through to the absolute end. It all starts with the intros to the coverage, and often spoils the game. If the game goes to that plan, it makes it easier for them to commentate.

But that said, I would still find it surprising for that trio to ever give Collingwood any credit.

Unfortunately, most commentary teams seem to do this for each match - decide pregame a theme or story for the game/night, and follow it through to the absolute end. It all starts with the intros to the coverage, and often spoils the game. If the game goes to that plan, it makes it easier for them to commentate.

That's 100% correct. It's happened more and more over recent years, and this sort of attitude towards commentary is nearly found in all games these days across all networks. Which is disappointing in every instance, even as a nuetral, because you just want those put in charge of commentating the game to call it as it happens.

I've been away the weekend and just watched the first half... seems to me that a LOT of credit was given to the Crows. "playing well" "pressuring" "Solid tackling" etc. etc. etc. Perhaps when you don't listen to it in the emotion of the moment, you actually hear everything they say and not hone in on the negatives? Haven't heard the second half yet, so not sure if they changed their tune afterwards or not.

A bit harsh to bag them for picking the Pies by 40+ - I think pretty much everyone in here did too!

I don't know if my mind was playing up but did Tim Lane really say at one stage "Port Adelaide are 11 points up". Is it just me or did he really say that? If he did, that that is pathetic.

Ha. I thought I heard that too.

I used to get fired up when commentry like this happens, however it happens with such regularity that I just tune it out. Walls and Quarterbrain would have to be two of the worst in the business, although I still prefer to listen to their circle jerk that Kellie's voice :eek:.

I get mistaking Jaensch for Porplyzia -- once or twice a season. But Reilly for Van Berlo, not once, but numerous times in a game? It shouldn't make me as mad as it does.

I can forgive them expecting Collingwood to over-run us at any moment -- I expected it. :eek:

What really gives me the shits is the way that certain commentators, mostly the special comments guys like Walls and Blighty, instead of commentating on what has happened, prefer to try and predict what will happen next and state it as fact. Normally it's something bleedingly obvious, like saying "Goal" before a player has kicked the ball, even though they're running into an open goal with no one else around. Or something like "They'll get a goal out of this" when a team is fumbling around in the forward line. If they predict wrong, then they blame the team for stuffing it up, and on the rare occasion they get it right, they think they're heroes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Worst Commentary Team Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back