Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow after reading this thread i feel lucky.

I have only been to MCG, ETIHAD and Vic Park. MCG Was looking very bad until the amazing upgrades now it is just so easy to do anything (food toilet beer)

The public transport for the place is amazing though. Probably the best in the country.

It seems like the going hip thing to bag out ANZ, while I agree for small crowds and lack of pubs nearby (being changed shortly) as a sold out stadium and ease of access its easily in the top 5.

The thing that annoys me about ANZ is over-priced drinks. If they're going to build more pubs out there, well, that will be a great improvement.

Anyway, ANZ's not as bad as some members of the SCG make out. :p

Windy Hill just terrible in every way. At Kardinia Park it took ages to get in and then little to no food outlets in the very small outer: Stinkhole!

I loved all the old suburban grounds, never had an issue at Windy Hill or Kardinia Park, Vic Park was feral, Princes Park was easy, Arden street, Junction Oval, Lake oval, were all good. Western oval was horrible on a wet day, but they all had atmosphere. I was a kid when i went to those grounds so i guess i was just happy to be there. I don't like the new MCG, it lacks character. Etihad stadium has me confused, i lose direction in there and it's cold with that roof closed. Speaking of cold, Waverley would have you searching for your appendage by half time! Froze my arse off out there on many occasions.

vic park,end of. Been to them all, western oval was an eye popper, but vic park took the cake. Arden St, moorabbin,lakeside oval, prinny park, WindyHill, waverly, junction oval, missed 4 games in melbourne since 1973. Love it. Even the "G" had its moments. But vic park by an absolute mile,human beings who just did not give a ****.

Subiaco Oval, especially since they took away all the standing space on the city end 15 years ago, or whenever it was. I once bought restricted access seats couldn't be that bad right? I Could only see half the ground, and had to sit on the other side of a 1.5 metre wide concrete pillar from my uncle that 'came' to the game with me.

As I'm only young I've only ever been to the MCG, Etihad, and Waverley. The 'G is without a doubt the best of all and I struggle to find a flaw with it, as an MCC member. Etihad is frustrating not only because of the stadium deal (Dogs member and I can't even sit on Level 1) but also the poor design - in a full house, some seats have such an obscured view that only 1/3 of the ground is in sight. It's a fantastic experience because of the roof and general comfort (LiveWire bar is fantastic) but it has shortfalls. Waverley would probably be the worst by default, but it was great for watching football. Mint playing surface.

Etihad is frustrating not only because of the stadium deal (Dogs member and I can't even sit on Level 1) but also the poor design - in a full house, some seats have such an obscured view that only 1/3 of the ground is in sight. It's a fantastic experience because of the roof and general comfort (LiveWire bar is fantastic) but it has shortfalls. Waverley would probably be the worst by default, but it was great for watching football. Mint playing surface.
Are you serious?

Wasn't Waverley like, ten metres from fence to goal posts?

And wasn't the incline really shallow and the general sightlines just really bad?

Etihad doesn't have a bad seat. I've sat in pockets, behind the goals, and on the wing from all tiers and they're all great. Close (even on level three) and with a full perspective of the ground.

Waverley was fine, aside from it's ancient facilities.
Etihad doesn't have a bad seat? Try up in the corners behind the scoreboards when it's full. In some places only a third of the ground is visible.
It's great from seats with a full perspective of the ground and is a very comfortable stadium, but it's poorly designed in some regards. I'd know this, having been subjected to it as recently as Round 3, when I was stuck up there for the Doggies v Richmond game. From my seat I could only see half of the inside 50 at the Coventry End.

The blacktown international sportspark shocking place to get to not much parking pretty far away from train stations poor facilities not made for afl. And i was there the night when the train went past and the ump thought it was the siren pretty much summed up the place.

The blacktown international sportspark shocking place to get to not much parking pretty far away from train stations poor facilities not made for afl. And i was there the night when the train went past and the ump thought it was the siren pretty much summed up the place.

The ground itself is pretty good and if you can score a seat in the grandstand, it's not too bad at all. But yeah, transport to and from the venue is pretty average, to say the least. It's very awkward get BISP using public transport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have only been to MCG, Etihad (work there), Princes Park and Waverley.

MCG is just huge, but it really is the best place to watch football.
Etihad is just sterile, freezing anywhere near the Latrobe St end and watching the game from anywhere but Level 2 sucks. No atmosphere and the feeble attmepts by clubs to give it any kind of personalised atmosphere just looks and sounds kinda dim and pathetic. Only good thing about Etihad is that Southern Cross station is just across the bridge. Whole place just sucks.
Don't remember a great deal about Waverley, except that the stands felt like caverns, sitting up the top was awful, the players all looked like ants.
Optus Oval was always a great place to watch the footy (provided it wasn't raining), but getting back to the city always sucked being squeezed into those trams (unless you made the walk). Never minded the seats. Though it never mattered when we had a win. :)

Coming from Perth, those of you whinging about Etihad sound a little spoilt to me. Try sitting on wooden benches at Subi with not enough leg room for a 12 year old, massive queues for the toilets and food. It's always a luxury to visit Melbourne and go to the G or Etihad, pay about $20 for a great seat (can't get a rubbish seat at Subi for that price), atmosphere, banter, love it. Can't wait for the new stadium in Perth.

Optus Oval. Not Princes Park - that was great. But when they built that awful Legends Stand taking away all the great standing room areas at the east end of the ground (and charging a premium on top of it), it went downhill in a major way. The most uncomfortable seats I've sat in at a game. The last few times Hawthorn played there, I got in just after 12.00pm to secure a good standing room spot. And ended up getting horribly drunk every time. That being said we beat Carlton the last two times I went there for an AFL game so that was at least fun.

Coming from Perth, those of you whinging about Etihad sound a little spoilt to me. Try sitting on wooden benches at Subi with not enough leg room for a 12 year old, massive queues for the toilets and food. It's always a luxury to visit Melbourne and go to the G or Etihad, pay about $20 for a great seat (can't get a rubbish seat at Subi for that price), atmosphere, banter, love it. Can't wait for the new stadium in Perth.
Agree on all points, in particular how much of a luxury it is to visit Melbourne and attend games at the grounds there.

Not to sound like one of the Four Yorkshiremen, but complaining about Etihad? LOOOOOXUUUUURYYYYY.

Waverley Park, though it has some sentimental value for me, as my Pa used to take me to Melbourne games there when I was younger (grandparents lived in Waverley). I actually attended the last match at Waverley, Hawthorn vs Sydney. I sat right at the top, back row, and the siren was directly behind my head, I realised then that Waverley had probably run its course.

Have only been to MCG, Etihad (work there), Princes Park and Waverley.

MCG is just huge, but it really is the best place to watch football.
Etihad is just sterile, freezing anywhere near the Latrobe St end and watching the game from anywhere but Level 2 sucks. No atmosphere and the feeble attmepts by clubs to give it any kind of personalised atmosphere just looks and sounds kinda dim and pathetic. Only good thing about Etihad is that Southern Cross station is just across the bridge. Whole place just sucks.
Don't remember a great deal about Waverley, except that the stands felt like caverns, sitting up the top was awful, the players all looked like ants.
Optus Oval was always a great place to watch the footy (provided it wasn't raining), but getting back to the city always sucked being squeezed into those trams (unless you made the walk). Never minded the seats. Though it never mattered when we had a win. :)

You cant have been to too many games at etihad, get a half decent crowd there, say 35,000 plus, the atmosphere is brilliant.

People complaining about Etihads seats have to be having a joke right. For AFL its not got a bad seat. The seats up next to the Scoreboards are "Restricted View" unless its Soccer then only one side of the board is.

I remember going to watch Victory play there first season at Olympic Park. Now that was a hole but the atmosphere was amazing. Some seats though you looked straight into a pole and this was in the silver section. Thank god that only lasted a season!

I went down to Kardinia Park in 2003 for the last game of the year - never again! I know this was before the upgrade, but it took forever to get there, the locals were rough as hell, and we stood up all day on the dirty concrete steps of the outer - unbelievable in the modern AFL! Having traveled to plenty of old VFA and VFL suburban grounds now, I am less horrified now than I was then, but still. Princes Park is also terrible to try to get to, terrible viewing and looks to have been designed by a drunken 3 year old!
Recently, I was very excited to travel to Burbank Oval to see the Willy Vs Port game, but, after 45 minutes of travel, I was disappointed to find a tiny grandstand, a bunch of portables (food/toilets, etc) set way away away from the ground and not much more. You couldn't even get onto the ground without climbing over the high steel fence! And this is AFTER the multi million dollar upgrade!

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back