Worth of a Top 3 Pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

catzfan

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
What would teams give for 1 of Hurley, Rich or Naitunai.
What would clubs acccept?

As Geelong I'd trade J.Corey, First Round and Varcoe
Would it be enough?

A top 3 pick is worth A LOT to clubs specially if you add marketing etc. I think there's only a handful of players that'll demand a top 3 pick on their own without being part of package.

Namely Judd, Ablett, Brown, Bartel, Scarlett, Cox, Franklin, Hodge, Pavlich.....maybe Kerr

Complete package of R Shaw, Rocca, Egan, Holland, Cook, Toovey, and Josh Fraser!

Even then I still don't think we could get a top 3 pick!

A top 3 pick is worth A LOT to clubs specially if you add marketing etc. I think there's only a handful of players that'll demand a top 3 pick on their own without being part of package.

Namely Judd, Ablett, Brown, Bartel, Scarlett, Cox, Franklin, Hodge, Pavlich.....maybe Kerr

kerr would get top 5 as would glass
the above players would easily get top 3

You're kidding, right?

The incumbent Brownlow medallist isn't worth Pick 1?

My gosh, the way people over-rate draft picks is just unbelievable.

Not even the great Judd was worth the #1 pick.
Then again, Carlton were in a unique position to butt-f**k the eagles at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even the great Judd was worth the #1 pick.
Then again, Carlton were in a unique position to butt-f**k the eagles at the trade table.

Judd was worth pick #3, #19 and a KP player who was pick #4 two drafts before.

Proven top-class players will still be considered if offered for those picks. But how old they can be will depend on the team. WCE with its young KP players, and Priddis, Kerr and cox to build around could afford someone a bit older. Essendon could not, since they'd need someone pretty certain to be around and playing top football for 5-7 years.

You're kidding, right?

The incumbent Brownlow medallist isn't worth Pick 1?

My gosh, the way people over-rate draft picks is just unbelievable.

I would swap Bartel for pick 1 but some clubs wouldnt. They would take the view that they have some leverage with the number 1 PSD pick and that therefore the club letting him go are over a barrell.

Bartel is 25, so age isnt an issue with him (once they get to say 27 and you have 3 or 4 years left a rebuilding side would likely take the view that Top 5 is too much for a player who wont be around when we are in contention).

The Dockers are about to show what happens when you trade away high picks for "guns". When the older players dont win you anything and then leave, the holes in your list are exarcerbated.

In addition on Bartel, Judd wasnt worth pick 1 and is always in the argument for best player in the comp. Bartel isnt. I agree that circumstances were unusual given Carlton had 1 & 3 but the draft is a weird beast and people will look at say Rich as a likely superstar and say do I want the future gun for 12 years or do I want the established gun for another 5?

Keep in mind that 2/3 of Natanui, Rich and Hurley are most likely going to be players of the calibre of Goddard or Roughead. However good they look pre-draft, maybe 1 out of ever top 5 actually ends up a genuine superstar.

The thing is that the teams that get the top picks are usually struggling and looking to rebuild through youth.

If you take Melbourne for example who will most likely have the 1st pick, I doubt they would swap it for a Kerr or Bartel because by the time they are a premiership threat again those players will be 30+.

They would only do it for a young player that has shown they will be a gun like a Hawkins, Selwood, Leunberger or Roughhead type that still has 10 + years in them.

also with no 1st round priorty picks anymore its even less likely to happen. would Freo have traded pick 1 if they didnt have pick 4 as well ? Or would Carlton have traded 3 and Kennedy if they didnt have Murphy and pick 1 ? I doubt it.

But the 2001 draft is a good example of why draft picks are often over rated. It was a highly rated draft and rightly so, producing Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Kelly, Dal Santo, Maguire etc. However, picks #4 (Polak), #5 (Clarke) and #6 (Sampi) haven't exactly worked out. Even a top rated draft with high picks is no gurantee. And even if the talent isn't an issue, attitude (Laurence Angwin) or injuries (Ryan Fitzgerald) could be.

are you jokeing? corey would get a top 3 pick for himself...

LOL

What the hell?

Thats sad. I wouldnt give up a 2nd rounder for Joel Corey.

If Melbourne has the number 1 pick, there is nothing thr Cats could give us. A package of Ablett, Bartel, Scarlett, Selwood, Ling, Stokes, Hawkins and Mooney would get laughed at.

Cos Natanui is the messiah.

Yeah, because Bartel or Ablett being traded say in 2006 for the number 1 draft pick (Gibbs) totally doesnt look worth it now...

Yer, cause in another 3/4 years time, when Gibbs is hitting his prime, and Bartel/Ablett are ending theirs, I am sure we'll regret it :rolleyes:

Top draft picks are an investment...its guys like you that are the reason Freo recruit the way they do..its about the big picture.

I guess Richmond waisted their no.2 draft pick by getting a player that hasn't even debuted yet...

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth of a Top 3 Pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back