Speculation Kysaiah Pickett [RFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ralph:
“Kozzy Pickett is driving back to Darwin as we speak. He’ll stop in at Adelaide and speak to his manager Peter Rohde ... he’s going nowhere,” Ralph said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“He’s a bit homesick, as he always is. His younger sister lives in Melbourne, he’s there with his partner and young child.

“Ideally he’d love to have more Indigenous teammates and he doesn’t really have a home ... but he won’t be going anywhere.”

Blink twice if you want out Kozz, we'll save you
Certainly saved Hogan....

Certainly saved Hogan....
nathan fillion castle GIF

Kozzie most likely stays however he seems far from happy. I wonder if signing these long term contracts can actually backfire for a lot of the players. Yes, they didn't have to sign them but how much pressure does the club and manager put on the player/client to sign.

You can tell he wants to leave but is feeling trapped

I would be very confident if Kozzy was absolutely desperate to get out Melbourne would get it done. Particularly with the picks at Freo’s disposal. I do think he’s always been somewhat homesick and in discussions with the club has been able to work through this. Matty Whelan appears to be a big factor in this.

Must be a relieving couple of days for Melbourne supporters. For a while there it looked like they may be forced to pull the trigger on the full rebuild before Tasmania sucks the talent out of the draft.

The difference between bottom 4 and potentially top 4 next season happened over the course of 48 hours.

In years to come this will be an interesting sliding doors* moment if Melbourne wins a premiership or starts bottoming out during the Tassie years.

*I promise not to use this phrase again

Must be a relieving couple of days for Melbourne supporters. For a while there it looked like they may be forced to pull the trigger on the full rebuild before Tasmania sucks the talent out of the draft.

The difference between bottom 4 and potentially top 4 next season happened over the course of 48 hours.

In years to come this will be an interesting sliding doors* moment if Melbourne wins a premiership or starts bottoming out during the Tassie years.

Melbourne are far from top four. Their management has swept all of the issues under the rug and pretended they don't exist. That always comes back to bite you. Doesn't help that the supporters don't show up to games so they are forced to act this way to make money. Not trying to stir shit as I wouldn't wish this on any supporter fan base.

Totally cringe how much freo fans were frothing over him. And they all got so far ahead of themselves. Pickett was never going to go. Goodwin rates him as high as just about anyone else in our team. He's a true match winner and he changes the entire feeling of a game with his pressure and speed. As I said, he's worth more in a trade than Petracca due to being 6 years younger and playing a more scarce position so unless you had picks coming out of your ears it was never going to get through.

And then Serong unashamedly talking about contracted players in an interview.
The purples are thinking they can get every contracted star for a half eaten pie.

The purples are thinking they can get every contracted star for a half eaten pie.
No, we just have lots of capital available so can actually afford two stars. Very few teams ever have this much high end capital available before trade period even starts.

Even old Dan thought 10 and a future 1st was close for Pickett (and he thinks every Melbourne player is the greatest player to play the game).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. I wanted to trade Petracca. Still do. we're not a top 8 team anyway. But Kozzie is only 23. Losing him would've been catastrophic and much more costly than losing a 29 year old Petracca.

The dees wouldn't lose a contracted Kozzie no matter how disgruntled he is. Freo would've had to abort their interest in Bolton and Baker to come up with a Godfather offer to make us entertain it. There's not many match winners in the afl.

Not at all. I wanted to trade Petracca. Still do. we're not a top 8 team anyway. But Kozzie is only 23. Losing him would've been catastrophic and much more costly than losing a 29 year old Petracca.

The dees wouldn't lose a contracted Kozzie no matter how disgruntled he is. Freo would've had to abort their interest in Bolton and Baker to come up with a Godfather offer to make us entertain it. There's not many match winners in the afl.

Hindsight might say that you guys were better off entertaining a trade for him this year given the assets we’ve got and the quality of the draft, especially if a trade request come in 12 months

Hindsight might say that you guys were better off entertaining a trade for him this year given the assets we’ve got and the quality of the draft, especially if a trade request come in 12 months
I would agree with you if he wasn't contracted. he's contracted. if you want him, even next year with the ability to trade 2 years in advance of picks, the same will apply in that you'd have to give up a hell of a lot. No idea why your fans thought you'd be able to bring in both Bolton and Pickett. Both of them warrant 2 first rounders and no Dees fan would prefer to unknown firsts over Kozzie when in contract.

I would agree with you if he wasn't contracted. he's contracted. if you want him, even next year with the ability to trade 2 years in advance of picks, the same will apply in that you'd have to give up a hell of a lot. No idea why your fans thought you'd be able to bring in both Bolton and Pickett. Both of them warrant 2 first rounders and no Dees fan would prefer to unknown firsts over Kozzie when in contract.
Salary cap starts becoming an issue if they try and chase Warner as well.... understand the vision from freo but unfortunately no more Lygon street brown paper bag deals like back in the good old days

Salary cap starts becoming an issue if they try and chase Warner as well.... understand the vision from freo but unfortunately no more Lygon street brown paper bag deals like back in the good old days
100%. I can understand why they would want all 3 of them but I personally never expect top end players to move until it actually happens. Like the guy on the 'Deebrief' podcast was like 'The dees can bounce back season if we get Houston, Waterman, Isaac Cumming'. I'm like 'no, won't happen'. The guys we bring in are Schache, Billings and McAdam types.

Im thinking this pickett issue still has a bit to play out and wouldnt surprise me if during trade week if the Bolton trade gets done early and the dockers know exactly what they have left there is another late attempt to move pickett to dockers
or Port could come for him late depending on what happens during the finals. They dont have picks but have assets they could trade out

We have 4 firsts this year to trade, thats why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Kysaiah Pickett [RFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back