Would it be fair to say if we win this weekend, we will not go to the Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

r_boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2007
Northern Territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think about it, if we win this week we will be in a Grand Final. The fact that we achieved such a feat is great ammunition for the Gold Coast argument and considering that this whole story is set to "explode" after the season it might be helpful.

Discuss...

I don't think it would make much difference to be honest, the process has been in place for a long time now.

Think about it, if we win this week we will be in a Grand Final. The fact that we achieved such a feat is great ammunition for the Gold Coast argument and considering that this whole story is set to "explode" after the season it might be helpful.

Discuss...

Not at all. In the AFL Commission's logic; and, if reports on this forum are correct, that of some of our board; it will probably mean things should move faster as they will think they can win supporters faster moving a successful team up there.
Fact is, with anything that happens they will twist to their warped little agenda. A bit like the "WMD in Iraq" thing, the decision seems to have been made, and the evidence is made to fit the decision rather than having a decision based on the (absence of) evidence.

The deal sweeteners such as draft picks will be taken off the table as the other clubs will not allow the Gold Coast franchise to "three-peat". That will make a relocation much harder to sell to Melbourne members. But a recent or even reigning premiership outfit will be easier to sell to the Gold Coast.

This whole Gold Coast rot is a real concern. When someone like Caroline Wilson, who obviously has a fair bit of inside knowledge, is adament by 2010/11 we will be on the Gold Coast - that is a real concern.

This whole Gold Coast rot is a real concern. When someone like Caroline Wilson, who obviously has a fair bit of inside knowledge, is adament by 2010/11 we will be on the Gold Coast - that is a real concern.
Agree completely. A lot of people on here like to shoot the messenger, and sometimes she deserves it, but the underlying problem is that somebody (within the club and/or the AFL) is feeding her this info.
Whether the info is correct or not might be another story, the idea of it being "inevitable" (a word commonly used in Caro's articles) is highly suggestive if an agenda being pushed and Caro reporting one side only - quite possibly because that's all that's leaking to her.

Winning helps in that it weakens the arguments about survival in Melbourne - clearly we can still do what counts in football (win) and next year we should see a jump in membership (because there's nothing like a bit of success to get people back on board). And winning is also good because it takes the GC talk out of the papers for a while.

We just have to make sure that winning does not distract us from the discussions that are still going on.

Rubbish argument IMO. If making a Prelim, while paying only 95% of the salary cap and with all the speculation and crap facilities doesn't convince someone that we can survive here, how will the premiership do that?

The doubters will say it's all about the revenue - which is why I say if this board can't generate the bloody revenue they should retire back to their cosy existance outside of NMFC and give someone else a go.

Rubbish argument IMO. If making a Prelim, while paying only 95% of the salary cap and with all the speculation and crap facilities doesn't convince someone that we can survive here, how will the premiership do that?

The doubters will say it's all about the revenue - which is why I say if this board can't generage the bloody revenue they should retire back to their cosy existance outside of NMFC and give someone else a go.

Actually I think we are only at 92% of salary cap.

I think Caro doesn't necessarily get fed information, she just jumps on little things she hears and feelings she gets and treats them as facts.

She is wrong half the time, and with the GC issue, at times she refers to it as "inevitable", "it is believed", "likely", "possible", "rumoured" etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true, if the club didn't win the 1996 flag they may well have merged with Fitzroy.

No, the Fitzroy decision was made mid season in 96. Our potential to dominate was feared by all other clubs, but there were no runs on the board to that point.

I think Caro doesn't necessarily get fed information, she just jumps on little things she hears and feelings she gets and treats them as facts.

She is wrong half the time, and with the GC issue, at times she refers to it as "inevitable", "it is believed", "likely", "possible", "rumoured" etc.

What she's getting is information from executives within the AFL who will be paid a bonus if we agree to relocate. So they have a vested interest in weakening resistance. They feed her propaganda and speculation as fact and she willingly prints.

Don't we get some coin from the AFL for increased prizemoney for making the top 4? If we get to the GF then it increases which would surely help the bottom line. Does anyone know the actual amounts?

Don't we get some coin from the AFL for increased prizemoney for making the top 4? If we get to the GF then it increases which would surely help the bottom line. Does anyone know the actual amounts?

It wouldn't be much. The Premier team for many years only got $250k (NAB Cup winner got $200k at the same time funnily enough).

Not sure if it has gone up this year.

We should be able to attract better sponsorship with our finals appearance tho
(that is, if the club puts the effort in in Victoria)

It wouldn't be much. The Premier team for many years only got $250k (NAB Cup winner got $200k at the same time funnily enough).

Not sure if it has gone up this year.

I was of the opinion that the premier got $1 million with some also going to the players. Perhaps runner up gets $250k to $500k? But it has definately gone up.

Most of Caroline Wilsons' ( USC) articles are incorrect, she likes to stir the pot. Nearly all of what she writes is drivel, to detract from how poor her team Richmond are on and off the field.

Most of Caroline Wilsons' ( USC) articles are incorrect, she likes to stir the pot. Nearly all of what she writes is drivel, to detract from how poor her team Richmond are on and off the field.

Like her article a few months back that said the North players told Dean that they wanted to change the game style.

Simmo called her that day to tell her it was a nice article, but very wrong.

I was of the opinion that the premier got $1 million with some also going to the players. Perhaps runner up gets $250k to $500k? But it has definately gone up.

I think you only get the million if you win both the pre-season and premiership cup in the same season.

I think only the premiers get any money,noone else

Discuss...

Ill buy a membership for next year right, but if there is any story that says "...by 2009 the kangaroos will be in GC" i will ring up the club and ask for my money back. Ill send them the Membership in the mail and will ask for my money back.

Im not giving money to a club that the AFL want to send north.

Winning helps in that it weakens the arguments about survival in Melbourne - clearly we can still do what counts in football (win) and next year we should see a jump in membership (because there's nothing like a bit of success to get people back on board). And winning is also good because it takes the GC talk out of the papers for a while.

We just have to make sure that winning does not distract us from the discussions that are still going on.

If we can go a Preaseason without any gold coast Shit we will se a huge jump in memberships, if its a repeat of this year our membership tally will fall.

Come on roos put a commercial or something say join now to keep your lucb in melbourne.

Can we call an EGM and vote all the Pro- GC off?

The AFL wants a team on the GC ASAP and we are it at the moment. Its a major part of their long term strategy to have AFL as the number 1 football code in Australia. Our on field success will only make us more marketable.

The only way this can be fought is to become financially solid. This will be extremely difficult if the Board has accepted the GC outcome. Equally our 2008 membership campaign will be weakened if Caro & co continually run pro GC stories without any rebutle from the Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it be fair to say if we win this weekend, we will not go to the Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back