WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Werribee's 1st loss for the season at Altona, in front most of the day but over run in the 4th.

Their undefeated run has been in danger for a while, coming from behind at 3QT a few times, plus 2 draws.

Still favourites for mine, but CS would be licking their lips now, in better form at the moment.
Makes for a good finals series this year.

Anyone can win it

Werribee's 1st loss for the season at Altona, in front most of the day but over run in the 4th.

Their undefeated run has been in danger for a while, coming from behind at 3QT a few times, plus 2 draws.

Still favourites for mine, but CS would be licking their lips now, in better form at the moment.
Werribee still favourite's have 4 or 5 players still overseas that get back over next 3 weeks.

Striving to improve and challenge them.

It was evident that some clubs gave up trying to match them, lack of recruiting was one.

Striving to improve and challenge them.

It was evident that some clubs gave up trying to match them, lack of recruiting was one.
There were a few reasons why recruiting was more difficult for some clubs. Interested to know which clubs you think just sat back.

I'm guessing it is to get Sunshine, Albion and Newport out of D2 and as a short term fix to the farce that's been D2 this season.

Agree, ideally, 10 teams is an ideal objective longer term.

Strongly doubt there would be more than 18 games even with 12 teams, given D1 clubs only played 16 games this season with 2 byes.
Confirmed by the WFNL today. Albion, Sunshine and Newport promoted to Division 1 in 2025 to create a 12 team competition. Division 2 will also have 12 teams if Glen Orden can return. No relegation or promotion in 2025 so teams can enter next year with some certainty in regards of recruiting etc.

The release also mentioned that the fixturing issues that occurred in division 2 this season will be addressed with the league saying it would employ a “number of fixture equalization methods to facilitate a competitive draw for all teams across both divisions”.

Confirmed by the WFNL today. Albion, Sunshine and Newport promoted to Division 1 in 2025 to create a 12 team competition. Division 2 will also have 12 teams if Glen Orden can return. No relegation or promotion in 2025 so teams can enter next year with some certainty in regards of recruiting etc.

The release also mentioned that the fixturing issues that occurred in division 2 this season will be addressed with the league saying it would employ a “number of fixture equalization methods to facilitate a competitive draw for all teams across both divisions”.
Wyndham Vale flogged Newport a few weeks ago and are two games ahead on the ladder. Tell me how this makes any sense to promote Newport?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What reasons would there be ??

Spotswood for one
1. Potential recruits were reluctant to go to perceived mid and bottom of the table clubs because they wouldn't be challenging any time soon. So if the list was average, recruits didn't think that one or two guns would have a big enough effect. E.g. "Yeah look, I'll make a decision when you let me know who else you've recruited." That's one I heard quite a few times. Contrary to popular belief, many of the gun recruits weren't only looking for money, they wanted to play in a competitive side that was half a chance of winning a flag. With Deer Park dominating, some clubs just didn't get a look in re gun recruits.

2. Clubs would identify a potential recruit, would get a fair way down the track with that player only to see him pop up on social media wearing a jumper that had a bigger perks associated with it. Deer Park and clubs outside of the league were very good at identifying guns but they weren't averse to swooping on the targets of other clubs. Were able to get the information and then act on it. Credit where credit is due. Some of the clubs you may accuse of giving up just couldn't match or get near the money offered by others.

A story for you.
Ex AFL player. Club chasing him got him the job he wanted and that came with other perks. He was ready to sign and then ghosted texts and phone calls for three or four weeks. Out of nowhere, it's revealed that he signed at club in the country league and taken on another job (sourced by club). Fast forward a month or two and he's on the phone to the original club and asking whether the original job was still available. The club was right to tell him to clear off or words to that effect. He would have brought some guns with him however at what cost to the club?

That's only a couple of variables. Now your turn. You'll need to back your claim about Spotswood.

1. Potential recruits were reluctant to go to perceived mid and bottom of the table clubs because they wouldn't be challenging any time soon. So if the list was average, recruits didn't think that one or two guns would have a big enough effect. E.g. "Yeah look, I'll make a decision when you let me know who else you've recruited." That's one I heard quite a few times. Contrary to popular belief, many of the gun recruits weren't only looking for money, they wanted to play in a competitive side that was half a chance of winning a flag. With Deer Park dominating, some clubs just didn't get a look in re gun recruits.

2. Clubs would identify a potential recruit, would get a fair way down the track with that player only to see him pop up on social media wearing a jumper that had a bigger perks associated with it. Deer Park and clubs outside of the league were very good at identifying guns but they weren't averse to swooping on the targets of other clubs. Were able to get the information and then act on it. Credit where credit is due. Some of the clubs you may accuse of giving up just couldn't match or get near the money offered by others.

A story for you.
Ex AFL player. Club chasing him got him the job he wanted and that came with other perks. He was ready to sign and then ghosted texts and phone calls for three or four weeks. Out of nowhere, it's revealed that he signed at club in the country league and taken on another job (sourced by club). Fast forward a month or two and he's on the phone to the original club and asking whether the original job was still available. The club was right to tell him to clear off or words to that effect. He would have brought some guns with him however at what cost to the club?

That's only a couple of variables. Now your turn. You'll need to back your claim about Spotswood.
It was common knowledge around that time, that Spotswood decided to keep their money in their pockets whilst DP were splashing it around.

It wouldn't matter one bit to most players who were offered the big cash, that the team they went to, weren't going to challenge.
Money talks.

It was common knowledge around that time, that Spotswood decided to keep their money in their pockets whilst DP were splashing it around.

It wouldn't matter one bit to most players who were offered the big cash, that the team they went to, weren't going to challenge.
Money talks.
‘Common knowledge’ based on hearsay, assumptions that the club had the cash it used to, general dislike of Spotty? What exactly?

In my experience, being competitive matters to most. One of the biggest considerations for recruits being courted by struggling and mid table clubs.

‘Common knowledge’ based on hearsay, assumptions that the club had the cash it used to, general dislike of Spotty? What exactly?

In my experience, being competitive matters to most. One of the biggest considerations for recruits being courted by struggling and mid table clubs.
What are you talking about, Spotty have always been competitive whether or not they've recruited heavily or not.

It's a fact that they put the cue in the rack in regard to recruiting and trying and beat DP, I was told this by numerous influential people I know at Spotty.
No hatred of Spotty at all, I played some juniors and a little bit of seniors there back in the 90s, great club and people.

Some clubs "put the cue in the rack" and other clubs, such as Altona and Werribee were fortunate to have strong juniors at the time that allowed them to remain competitive.

In Altona's case, during that period, I can only remember James Stephens (2013) and Patty Rose (2018-19) being significant imports. The majority of others were returning players. From 2022, Van Den Berg and Whitford are probably the main 2.....as I said, lucky to have a strong batch of kids.

I do remember being told a story, pre-season leading into 2022, of Altona having a youngish guy across the line only to have him tell them on a Monday that DP pretty much doubled their offer. I was told Altona's offer was very good, and DP swooped in.....and he was up and down all year. Can't remember his name though, but I do know DP told him they'd rather pay him to play 2's then at Altona. Fun times.

What are you talking about, Spotty have always been competitive whether or not they've recruited heavily or not.

It's a fact that they put the cue in the rack in regard to recruiting and trying and beat DP, I was told this by numerous influential people I know at Spotty.
No hatred of Spotty at all, I played some juniors and a little bit of seniors there back in the 90s, great club and people.
I didn't say anything about Spotty not being competitive I meant that being competitive matters to most recruits.
I also didn't say anything about you in particular when referring to hatred.

As for the influential, I'd say that Eames was fairly influential during that period and I don't think he would have been party to putting the cue in the rack on recruitment. I also knew other influential people at the club at the time, they were chasing players but were losing out to the likes of Deer Park and clubs from outside the league who were offering more money. Scuttlebutt at all clubs and yes, sometimes by those who are either influential or think they're in the know.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about Spotty not being competitive, I was talking about mid table and struggling clubs in general.
I also didn't say anything about you in particular when referring to hatred.

As for the influential, I'd say that Eames was fairly influential during that period and I don't think he would have been party to putting the cue in the rack on recruitment. I also knew other influential people at the club at the time, they were chasing players but were losing out to the likes of Deer Park and clubs from outside the league who were offering more money. Scuttlebutt at all clubs and yes, sometimes by those who are either influential or think they're in the know.
Deer park the only club to offer money?

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back