WRFL Division 1 - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tige would you say that the preseason form of Hoppers has been disapointing thus far, losing to a fair GFL side is not a worry as its a much superior comp but losing to a GDFL side the week before is worrying. Which new players will improve the Warriors in 2011 as Disco and the like are getting on and you wouldnt think the improvement will come from them.

No one could argue it was a disapointing performance against Centrals and the effort against Lara was far more promising, especially with virtually no bench in the latter parts of the game.

The club has had quite a few Under 18's from last years premiership side come up to senior level, so whilst the improvement may not be immediate and consistant from some this season, the club is in a strong position for future years.

However, don't discount quite a bit of improvement from the side in 2011. There are plenty of players in their young 20's ready for a big year and to step up a bit more this season. Justin Chircop as LJT said, is certainly one, plus others such as Chris Brierty, Chris Latella, Stephen Morgan, Jason Butty and Benny Fletcher who is returning from Werribee, just to name a few. The club has recruited quite a bit of depth this year, which it was probably lacking a little last season, so spots are up for grabs and there is a bit more pressure on senior players to perform.

Should be a great season for the league, looks as if most clubs have recruited quite well and its good to have some new challengers and more eveness in the competition.

Tige would you say that the preseason form of Hoppers has been disapointing thus far, losing to a fair GFL side is not a worry as its a much superior comp but losing to a GDFL side the week before is worrying. Which new players will improve the Warriors in 2011 as Disco and the like are getting on and you wouldnt think the improvement will come from them.

Why is there an emphasis on praccy matches? I remember last year when the boys played Avondale Heights and knocked them off and got rolled by Bell Park by 4 goals yet they had the worst year in a decade! Even the club I ran around with last year we knocked of GV club Benalla yet we were below that level of footy, anyone making an assumption on a club based on trial games are quite naive.

I'm happy for people within the region to base a view on us by practice games, if that's the case we wont lose a game.

Let's see after a month of footy were everyone is at, I'm more than happy with the position Mitch has the boys.

Would also like to point out that it's great to see the league moving forward. The standard of the league will be vastly better than previous years with 7-8 clubs all being a chance. Obviously the Geelong comp is above what we play but from my pov our mob at full strength against Lara at full tilt would be of the same standard as any of the good sides in our leagu would produce. The WRFL is not that far away, especially playing standard wise! it's a credit to the administrators of all clubs.

Could anyone from Altona give an update on Corey and Dion Lawson, spoke to a family member a couple of weeks ago who said they had walked out on the club and where heading to Heathcote. Both Willy listed but no clearances from Altona on the WRFL site?
Surely Willy would want them aligned with a local club.

Sunshine 14.5
Sunbury 9.14

Good game.

Sunbury's skills let them down a bit not just goalkicking, their kicking into their forward line was pretty poor. Sunshine looked pretty slick.

Could anyone from Altona give an update on Corey and Dion Lawson, spoke to a family member a couple of weeks ago who said they had walked out on the club and where heading to Heathcote. Both Willy listed but no clearances from Altona on the WRFL site?
Surely Willy would want them aligned with a local club.

Corey Lawson is playing for altona this week against hoppers. Don't know who you heard that information of ? Both have been at the club all the juniors , couldn't see a "walk out" happening ..

now that round 1 is under a week away who do people think will be the team to beat ? i have heard port colts will be pretty strong with brad juiler starting the year off in the 2s and it may be hard for him to get back in the senior side

saunshine blew game apart in the first quarter kicking 8 goals, danny jacobs took charge of the centre and that was the end of it. Not sure how strong Sunbury were but they kept playing catch up whole game but they were too far behind at the start to win.

Sunshine had at least 4 of the best 7 or 8 out with at least another couple of walkins out for various reasons so will only get better next week against Port Colts.

At a pick for top 4, i would have albion, spotswood, Sunshine and St Albans with Hoppers, Altona and Port Colts fighting out for the 5th position

now that round 1 is under a week away who do people think will be the team to beat ? i have heard port colts will be pretty strong with brad juiler starting the year off in the 2s and it may be hard for him to get back in the senior side

even tho brad would be pushing 40 years of age now i still think he might be able to offer port colts a couple alright games

saunshine blew game apart in the first quarter kicking 8 goals, danny jacobs took charge of the centre and that was the end of it. Not sure how strong Sunbury were but they kept playing catch up whole game but they were too far behind at the start to win.

Sunshine had at least 4 of the best 7 or 8 out with at least another couple of walkins out for various reasons so will only get better next week against Port Colts.

At a pick for top 4, i would have albion, spotswood, Sunshine and St Albans with Hoppers, Altona and Port Colts fighting out for the 5th position[/quot

Let me start by saying EDFL is my option.
Watched the Sunshine Sunbury game as Sunbury Played Aberfeldie (doesn't mean i'm from Abers) the week before. Agree with Sunshine having a few out but Sunbury did too, with a wedding and a cricket presentation taking place over the week end. Sunshine by 4 goals and did get out of the blocks early.
Stood behind the benches and listened and observed both coaches with different styles.
Impressed with the calm collectiveness of sunbury coach and the constant praise of jobs done by players.
Impressed with collectiveness by Sunshine playing coach.
Worried though by the obvious different styles presented by the playing coach and 2 assisstants. Obviously not on the same page which can't help the players. Also had a couple of players seeming to call shots, and with Jacobs injuring his Knee, must be a bit worrying with the start comming.
Thanks to the club on the day though for such an enjoyable event. My kids had a ball. Not sure how many flags the club has won but do have a great social feel.:thumbsu:

Round 1 Tips

Albion v Spotswood - The cats at home should see them win in a close one again, but expect Spotty to have a real crack. (match of round)

Altona v Hoppers - Both with young lists and should improve on last year. Altona in another close game.

Nth Foots v G/Orden - Welcome to Divvy 1 and expect a win in first hit out, with Glenorden going backwards unfortunately an to finish bottom.

Port Colts V Sunshine - Colts at home always a better side, but the Jacobs boys will be aware of surroundings. Tipping kangas in also close game and not underestimating Colts with a fair few new recruits. NOTE: If Brad Julier plays 2's I would be extremely surprised. (Best Ruck in comp and played injured last season)

St Albans v Heights - The Saints by over ten goals although Heights have recruited a few, the Saints have recruited to there needs and should list a very good midfield which will rotate and stretch Heights.

Good Luck to all teams and with the competition set to improve in terms of standard, it opens what is a very anticipated season. GO KANGA'S:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Colts came from nearly 5 goals down in the 3rd qtr kicking 10 of the last 11 goals of the game to beat Sunshine by just over 5 goals at home today,
great way to start the season against one of the flag favourites

Blake Twomey was best by a mile dominating the midfield & kicking 4 goals

"Go the NUTZNBOLTS"

great to see dad was wrong. a great return by both Lawson boys and all the vikings. great start to the year.

Massive spanking and from what i have been told just a class above and very very impressive and this coming from Hoppers people

Is it true Hoppers had the wind for 3 quarters i know when the wind is up and going down there its very hard to kick against so if this is true thats a amazing result and before people say anything about the wind it does change have played plenty of games where the wind has just changed during a game

Massive spanking and from what i have been told just a class above and very very impressive and this coming from Hoppers people

Is it true Hoppers had the wind for 3 quarters i know when the wind is up and going down there its very hard to kick against so if this is true thats a amazing result and before people say anything about the wind it does change have played plenty of games where the wind has just changed during a game

Altona were obviously the better side and outplayed us from what I was told. I doubt you will see another performance from the boys like that again, will be super keen for Albion this week.

Altona were obviously the better side and outplayed us from what I was told. I doubt you will see another performance from the boys like that again, will be super keen for Albion this week.

Hoppers struggled last year so im interested to hear who they have picked up to improve there list i have not really taken any notice of what has happend down there since the 18's won the flag

If what people predict that Altona are 4 to 6 team on the ladder i think Hoppers are in big big trouble

absolutely correct - wind swung around 180 degrees at 3-quarter time. altona big improvement based on their practice match form and hoppers very sloppy with their ball use

Port Colts came from nearly 5 goals down in the 3rd qtr kicking 10 of the last 11 goals of the game to beat Sunshine by just over 5 goals at home today,
great way to start the season against one of the flag favourites

Blake Twomey was best by a mile dominating the midfield & kicking 4 goals

"Go the NUTZNBOLTS"

Any relation to Wayde Twomey from the Blues?

Can anyone tell me how big M.J went for Spotty on the weekend?
I wouldnt have thought he would get a game in spotty's ones, but the team sheet shows otherwise.
Just curious as i played with him the last few seasons at West..

Anyone from Spotty care to elaborate why one of their players would go up to the umpires and make sure that they had reported an oppostion player at the 1/4 time break?
Weak effort!!

Anyone from Spotty care to elaborate why one of their players would go up to the umpires and make sure that they had reported an oppostion player at the 1/4 time break?
Weak effort!!

Would you expect anymore from Spotswood? History says NO.

Heard a nasty rumor that has made it's way to W.A. that Sunshine are already struggling in the finanicial department, can anyone confirm?

Tips Round 2.

Glenorden v St Alb - Saints by plenty
Hoppers v Albion - Albion with a better midfield
Nth Foots v Heights - Heights in a close game.
Spotty v Colts - Colts to win this one with a better team then last season and a couple of players to come into the side.
Suns v Altona - Kangas at home but expect Altona to be a good side.

Four away wins this week is interesting;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back