WRFL Division 1 - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Should common sense have prevailed?
Michael Lindsay, a player of our club (Laverton), brought up though the Juniors and Seniors, was 3 seasons ago recruited by the then coach of the Albanvale FC, David Connell. ML wasnt keen to move to Yarraville in 2012 and played a partial season of football in the Riddell League. 2013 arrives and once again DC is keen to acquire his services to which ML signs a contract. On realising the commitment that would be required of a 1st division player ML decided not to pursue his career there. On getting itchy feet ML decides he just wants to have a kick with his mates back at Laverton.
Wind the Clock back just over 12 months and 2 Laverton players who had been courted by DC, decide that their time at Laverton had expired and made the move to Yarraville (without monetary or product compensation), with the clubs blessing, and go on to become Yarraville Senior Premiership players.
Not only that, due to Yarravilles lack of accredited trainers in the 2012 finals, a Laverton trainer was approached to give them a helping hand., which he happily did.
Now, for Yarraville to demand 8 new Sherrins for the release of ML from his contract to be cleared back to his original club, i personally think, it is an absolute disgrace and common sense should of prevailed.
Am i right or wrong?

Did he fulfill his contract?

Should common sense have prevailed?
Michael Lindsay, a player of our club (Laverton), brought up though the Juniors and Seniors, was 3 seasons ago recruited by the then coach of the Albanvale FC, David Connell. ML wasnt keen to move to Yarraville in 2012 and played a partial season of football in the Riddell League. 2013 arrives and once again DC is keen to acquire his services to which ML signs a contract. On realising the commitment that would be required of a 1st division player ML decided not to pursue his career there. On getting itchy feet ML decides he just wants to have a kick with his mates back at Laverton.
Wind the Clock back just over 12 months and 2 Laverton players who had been courted by DC, decide that their time at Laverton had expired and made the move to Yarraville (without monetary or product compensation), with the clubs blessing, and go on to become Yarraville Senior Premiership players.
Not only that, due to Yarravilles lack of accredited trainers in the 2012 finals, a Laverton trainer was approached to give them a helping hand., which he happily did.
Now, for Yarraville to demand 8 new Sherrins for the release of ML from his contract to be cleared back to his original club, i personally think, it is an absolute disgrace and common sense should of prevailed.
Am i right or wrong?

It is common practice in most leagues. If you wan't to get a player out of a contract you generally have to give something up. The club has no reason to clear them if contracted but not much point keeping them if they don't want to play for your club. Solution is giving up something (footy's, beer, cash doesn't matter)to get them cleared.

Just the way things have gone over the last 5 years.

It is common practice in most leagues. If you wan't to get a player out of a contract you generally have to give something up. The club has no reason to clear them if contracted but not much point keeping them if they don't want to play for your club. Solution is giving up something (footy's, beer, cash doesn't matter)to get them cleared.

Just the way things have gone over the last 5 years.

Well maybe the league should get involved, look at all the rebates they are missing out on through the bartering of sherrins and not ross faulkners :D

Why the heck would u train with sherrins when u play with faulkners ??? Do u see baseballer a train with cricket balls ???

Yeah its the dumbest thing i have ever heard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly the best time to advise one that their services are no longer required. The fact Clarke was shown the door after everything he did for the club was an absolute disgrace and the Colts got what they deserved. If you rumour is true then he has a lot of hard work ahead of him, but if anyone can do it its Clarkey. Good luck to him.

Yeah good luck to my Old Red Nut mate Clarkey. I'm sure we'll see a more spirited Colts from this week when he takes over full time.

strange that there is not a lot more talk about the two senior coachs axed by round six by two under achiving teams in port colts and north footscray is it the coaches fault or is it because they did not have good enough players ?

strange that there is not a lot more talk about the two senior coachs axed by round six by two under achiving teams in port colts and north footscray is it the coaches fault or is it because they did not have good enough players ?
Depends on whether it was because of underachieving or other issues. The other issues may not be our business.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there imo, going back 3 years they'd probably be red hot favourites but you've got to remember that those players for all there past success also made up a fair percentage of the side that got belted in the past two finals campaigns while playing for Marby. Sure Ayres, Barling etc are guns but a few of those listed have barely gotten a kick over recent years. It's also a bit disrespectful to the Altonas and Spotswoods (amongst others) to write them off so early in the season.
As for Deer Parks spending, I couldn't care less if they spend it up, hopefully they have enough common sense to plan for the future though, as unfortunately we've seen a lot of clubs over many leagues either fold or struggle to stay afloat after throwing the money around.
Good luck to all sides this weekeend.

smith stewart broadbent ayres bullen hunt and barling are key players the rest mentioned imo hold down a spot in the starting 22......no superstars though seasoned 1st div footballers.....add klix kwame now Lovett which adds some flair to the side.....

whilst getting over altona and spotty to come no way known weapo thinks its in the bag lots of respect for the spotty's and altona's add the colts hoppers saints and the kangas to the list all i want to see tough hard footy matches......

smith stewart broadbent ayres bullen hunt and barling are key players the rest mentioned imo hold down a spot in the starting 22......no superstars though seasoned 1st div footballers.....add klix kwame now Lovett which adds some flair to the side.....

whilst getting over altona and spotty to come no way known weapo thinks its in the bag lots of respect for the spotty's and altona's add the colts hoppers saints and the kangas to the list all i want to see tough hard footy matches......

In the end if deer park does win it wouldn't be the same as the past years when the premiers have all had around 12-15 junior players, but I suppose a flag is a flag

You can't sack 10 or 12 players mid season, but you can sack one coach. After all it is the committee that appoint the coach and give him a budget to work within. You don't see too many committees or President's falling on their swords when things go wrong.

No mention of Lovett only playing one qtr of footy........dont think will play another game! Was limping around like he got shot after the game!

I’m led to believe there are a few major issues about to boil over at Hogans Road. Speaking with a very reliable source from the HCFC, I’ve just been told a few things that I found rather interesting.

As you would expect, upon reappointment, David Mitchell was advised of the expectation for the senior side. Nothing short of a Grand Final based on last year I would think would be that expectation. Current form suggests they are a fair way off, and after a poor display against Spotty, Mitchell was given until after this week's game against Altona to save his job. Tough but fair, or is it?, I’m told the following has been happening in the background.

From very early on in the preseason, it has been clearly evident that noted senior players have blatantly undermined the senior coach in an attempt either force his resignation, or force the HCFC Board into sacking him. This undermining has continued throughout preseason and into the season proper and I understand will come to ahead this week when two influential senior players will meet with the HCFC Board behind the coaches back to get some sort of resolution (Mitchell’s sacking).

Part of the result of this saga was played out on Saturday when the senior coach made a scathing attack on a high profile recruit after the loss to Sunshine. Apparently made in front of more than just the players too…..

I’m led to believe there are a few major issues about to boil over at Hogans Road. Speaking with a very reliable source from the HCFC, I’ve just been told a few things that I found rather interesting.

As you would expect, upon reappointment, David Mitchell was advised of the expectation for the senior side. Nothing short of a Grand Final based on last year I would think would be that expectation. Current form suggests they are a fair way off, and after a poor display against Spotty, Mitchell was given until after this week's game against Altona to save his job. Tough but fair, or is it?, I’m told the following has been happening in the background.

From very early on in the preseason, it has been clearly evident that noted senior players have blatantly undermined the senior coach in an attempt either force his resignation, or force the HCFC Board into sacking him. This undermining has continued throughout preseason and into the season proper and I understand will come to ahead this week when two influential senior players will meet with the HCFC Board behind the coaches back to get some sort of resolution (Mitchell’s sacking).

Part of the result of this saga was played out on Saturday when the senior coach made a scathing attack on a high profile recruit after the loss to Sunshine. Apparently made in front of more than just the players too…..

Who told you this?

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL Division 1 - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back