WTA WTA 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Parks played great in the final in Lyon, she has got a great serve and wasn't overawed by the occasion.
Both Badosa and Mugs withdrew from Abu Dhabi tournament. Mugs for personal reasons.
I have no idea why Rybakina is playing this week.
Currently oncourt Teichman is 4-0 up against Kasatkina. Teichman playing some great tennis.
Its been windy for the past couple of days and rather cool at 21 degrees.
Samsonova beat Krejcokova in straight sets
I know I should post this in general tennis news but read that Svitolina will start playing again in April. We'll see.
Because she could and should win this tournament and why not play, she‘d be reasonably rested.

Lys’ loss last night was really disappointing. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen her slice a ball, either wing, even on the stretch. She needs more variety, and incorporating a slice when pushed out wide will help. Will buy her more time for starters to get back into position. She’s a beautiful ball striker but the serve needs work, it’s reliable but she does nothing with it. And the variety. Still very inexperienced on tour though, think it was only her 3rd WTA tour win the other night. Sometimes I forget that.

The draw on the WTA side of things is stacked. Most women will play this middle eastern leg for the money. Shame that the big star in that region is missing due to injury. Shame more for her than any "interest" in the stands.

ATP side is a bit missing. Rotterdam is a well-supported tournament this time of year, but it feels like many players take a break this time of year. The South American leg only really interests those Latin dirt lovers, or that it what it feels like. Really think that is down to Bo5 and Bo3 but also when the ATP finishes their season. I am not a fan of the Paris Masters and when they occur. Just a personal opinion.

Watched as much as I could yesterday.

Potapova vs Friedsam was an enjoyable match. Potapova is a bit of an enigma, has clear talent, is a big fighter, but you just never know what you’ll get. The third set domination was an indication of how well she can hit, but it’s hard to gauge where she’ll end up. She’s reached a new career high, and is only 21, but I can’t seem to pinpoint how high she’ll go. She’s kind of good at everything but doesn’t have that signature shot, yet.

Rybakina was awful, lost in 3. I’ve been a big fan in the past, but I hate to say it, I’m losing interest in her. Her hit and miss game style is becoming a bit of a chore. Like how can you strike it that well one point, and then miss by 3 feet the next? That type of tennis is just so frustrating. Probably still a bit of fatigue, but it’s not like we haven’t seen it a hundred times before.

Then there’s Kudermetova who was a bit lifeless in her meek straight sets exit. Pretty pitiful performance to be honest, but that’s probably taking away from Samsonova who was excellent.

Finally I watched Sakkari vs Vekic. Best match of the day. Fierce battle, second set alone would’ve gone 80 minutes. I don’t like Sakkari, but credit to her, she won because of her fitness. Vekic was absolutely spent by the end, and despite getting herself into a 6-3 position in the TB by playing sublime tennis, she was always up against it because of her exhaustion.

Did anyone catch either final? Potapova broken to love first game, followed by a Martic hold, and then Pots saves 4 break points in a a marathon game and from then on it was one way traffic in a 6-3, 6-1 win. Pots played very controlled tennis all week, however does have a knack for missing easy balls after doing all the work to get into the strong position. She‘ll be around the seeding territory for slams now, a huge rise in the past 12 months. She does everything well, but I just don’t see the raw power or go to shot to make her a real challenger for major titles. Could be wrong, has the time. Linz is a great little tournament though, I think this was a new venue also. Not a huge capacity but well attended and the crowds really got into it.

In the Abu Dhabi final, wow. Just wow, a truly spectacular final with Bencic saving 3 championship points in the second set TB. Samsonova won the first set 6-1 in, not exaggerating, some of the cleanest tennis I’ve ever seen on the WTA tour. It was incredible. Benic did an awesome job to even hang in there with the ball striking coming at her. But she did and somehow survived the match points (even had a let cord which forced Bencic in) and took the set and then the third. Samsonova didn’t do much wrong, even on MP she was just unlucky more than anything else. If she plays that tennis regularly, she’s a top 10 talent, first set was top 3-5, it was that good. Great end to an okay tournament, crowds a bit disappointing, tennis was decent.

This week just the 500 tournament in Doha:

ED4BA3CC-8659-43A3-A5CD-1EF77E862F4C.jpeg

Swiatek is back. The draw is stacked. I mean Pliskova is facing Fernandez right now just for a place in the MD! Some of those first round matches are just about GS QF match-ups. Kenin/Samsonova is brutal for both. Hard to go past Iga given her consistency, but in line to face Benic in the quarters. As Belinda said, the life of a tennis player, to switch off from Abu Dhabi, and switch on for Doha.

Swiatek dropped 4 points in the first set v Collins. Would have loved to see Collins face after that. 6-0, 6-1 in the end.

Bencic saved some match points in a hard fought win. Alas, she has already withdrawn in her next round against Swiatek
I’m surprised she even played here! Was down 6-1, 4-1, what an effort to win. She must be wrecked!

Just finished Kudermetova/Gauff, big win for Kuders! The wind was pretty full on, made conditions pretty difficult, but I thought she handled them better. I just don’t see the hype for Gauff, sure the movement is good and she’s somehow still only 18, but there’s no weapon there. You need a weapon.

Was hoping Garcia would win but she would have to be the worst return of serve on the tour, at least amongst the upper echelon of players. Diabolical.

Just finished Kudermetova/Gauff, big win for Kuders! The wind was pretty full on, made conditions pretty difficult, but I thought she handled them better. I just don’t see the hype for Gauff, sure the movement is good and she’s somehow still only 18, but there’s no weapon there. You need a weapon.

Was hoping Garcia would win but she would have to be the worst return of serve on the tour, at least amongst the upper echelon of players. Diabolical.
I rate Gauff backhand. Can put that shot anywhere. I feel she is a top 5 clay courter on the tour. But Will need someone to beat Swiatek to have a chance to win a title (5-0 to Iga and it hasnt even been close)

So Swiatek obliterated Kudermetova, 6-0, 6-1, under an hour. It was ridiculous tennis, power, precision, angles, another planet. When you see that, you wonder how she lost in Melbourne. But I guess Rybakina‘s game, when on, can take control away from any player. But Swiatek is #1 for a reason, consistently very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely clinical.

She really is far and way the best player in the world. Aussie Open seems like a distant memory, she really did put too much pressure on herself there, wasn’t free to play her game.

She is just so consistent from match to match and within matches. Super athlete, great defender, hits so cleanly on both wings, and that massive top spin on the FH means she hits big, deep, and yet safe. What a star.

Two tournaments starting this week. The first 1000 event of the year (Dubai) and another 250 (Mexico).

Dubai:

1154897C-283F-4697-B6C1-3A98DC5264B2.jpeg

Crazy draw, virtually everyone is here and one of the best things about this tournament is that it’s actually at a reasonable hour, with matches getting underway in a few minutes. How’s Badosa/Samsonova for a first round match tonight?! Interested to see how Potapova fares fresh off her tournament victory in Linz and new career high ranking. Not easy though with Teichmann first up and if successful, Sabalenka, her first match since the AO. Fruhvirtova also here, keen to see her, although good luck even winning a match, the field is just so stacked. After a not very demanding week in Doha, I’m going out on a limb and saying Swiatek will win…

Mexico:

68F18D4D-020F-426C-B5A7-890610625AD9.jpeg

250 event with an interesting field. Linette is the top seed looking to reproduce her Australia form. Tough start as she faces the talented Osorio who made the semis at Lyon. Lyon champion Parks is also here, in the same section, and on paper has two easy matches to start, but her form outdoor is a lot different to indoor. Sloane Stephens second seed, but you just never know what you’ll get from Sloane these days. Could Giorgi make a run? My interest lies mainly in Andreeva who won her first round qualifying match overnight dropping one game, she‘s on court in the early hours of the night looking to qualify. Here’s hoping!

Badova Samsonova 3hr 22 in first round. Intense.
Watched the first two sets before I needed to sleep. Feeling it today, I’m wrecked. Was a brutal match, the hitting was big, rallies were very lengthy. Fruhvirtova won, will probably face Ostapenko next. Developing nicely. Kostyuk needed 3 to prevail but books another match against Bencic. Her tough luck with draws continues.

Andreeva lost 6-4 in the third. Didn’t see it but disappointing given she won the first. Close match, really would’ve liked her to gain the experience of another MD.

geech, the courts must be slow

Na just think those four players push like nothing before. Cirstea isn’t the same player she was years ago very defensive and BHM is the biggest pusher on tour.

Rybakina was impressive against Andreescu

Remove this Banner Ad

WTA WTA 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back