Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

:hand: Work/Sleep
:handpointright: Watching Yakuza series

Early thoughts?

It’s a bit of a slow burn but building nicely. The fight scenes are done in typical Yakuza style, so I’ve been grinning like an idiot. The humour is what you’d expect from Yakuza.

Some of the Japanese actors switch to English and I really can’t tell what is a dub over and what is the actor actually speaking English. 😂

Watched the first episode, it's ... not great. Real low budget production, like fan made film students or something. Even the intro was bad CGI.

I'll probably keep watching, but it's disappointing so far.

Oh, and ads in a paid streaming stream can go get ****ed!

After the first episode I just pushed on for game references. Second episode was awful but still watched the third because why not. It's weird. They gave license to recreate the story, the characters had different back stories and didn't want to actors to play the games so they could act their own versions. Despite this the story is a weird mash up between 0 and 1. It seems like the only actor that was allowed to do homework was Munetaka Aoki (Majima). He was on the panel at the RGG summit and said he was already a fan of the series and also playing an extra in Pirates. The second half of episode 3 that featured considerable Majima and Saejima (who of course had no lines but I thought it was cool how they gave him long hair like early Saejima) was the first time it felt like Yakuza, especially when Majima says "if you die, I'll kill you" to Saejima lol.

I'll persist with the next three episodes because why not but definitely a massive disappointment. Adaptations that try to reinvent the source material never work and they should have just really let the actors study the games and recreated the story more closely.

Also maybe this just can't be made into film. The games work because they have a super serious main story to ground each game then sub stories and side content that ranges from camp to batshit insane to level it out. If they're just going to concentrate on the main story part then it completely misses what the games are about.

After thinking more and more and reading different online posts, I would like to retract my previous post. “Bit of a slow burn but building nicely.”? **** off RPCB.

Same characters, but that’s it. Amazon have completely changed the entire story. To the point that the characters personalities have been altered, in a terrible way. I will watch next weeks 3 episodes but not expecting anything positive.

I would tell anyone that hasn’t played the games but are wondering if they should watch the show. Previous posts are that it’s not a remake, it’s an original story…. and now having watched the first 3 episodes, there is some major revisionist history going on here. Nothing will be spoiled. Yakuza should only ever be entirely in RGG’s hands.

You could watch the TV show first, play the video games second and come away saying “all the things that happened in the TV show were done much much better in the video games.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back