Yarra Valley-Mountain District FL Discussion Forum 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
fair enough, i was hoping for someone who has seen them play to help me on this one?

howd you go on saturday did you play well, snag a few?

Did ok. 1's won 2nds won juniors lost.

Warby this week at Warby big test then have Upwey at Upwey in a fortnight.
Big test

who lifted in the last quarter??

a bit injured or just rested?

how many did big cousin bonuda kick in the 1s?

The mid field really lifted, Maxy Mcgrath,Doucha,Barnesy,Aulich,Megsy

Rested for the Warby game thats all.

Big Mitchy kicked 7 goals, not bad effort against Healsville :D

When was the last time Gembrook & Olinda finished in the finals together?
Mt Eve broke the drought against Monny - how many games?
Div 1 Reserves - 1 game between the top 5 with Top 4 on the same points - you must be loving that. Could be Top 4 on the same points at year end separated by % only. Has that ever happened?

Well, Gembrook's last Division One finals game was the first semi of 1991 against Olinda - who were playing their first Division One finals game. That match, held at Yarra Glen, was won by Olinda, 10.7 to 7.15.

Monbulk have lost all of their long winning streaks this year (18 v Gembrook, 14 v Olinda, 15 v Mount Evelyn). What's going on down there?

Warburton-Millgrove got to within 8 points at Upwey on Saturday - a pretty impressive effort - but their overall record at Upwey is now 3 wins and 40 losses. After winning there by 35 points on 3 July 1971, Warburton lost their next 28 matches at Upwey from 1972-99. They finally broke the drought in 2000 and then won again in 2002, but have since lost their last 7 at the Dome.

Record at Upwey, 1966-2010
Healesville 16-25-1 (39%)
Woori Yallock 14-27-1 (35%)
Silvan 3-6 (33%)
Mount Evelyn 2-6 (25%)
Monbulk 10-32 (24%)
Seville 5-16 (24%)
Wandin 5-19-1 (22%)
Gembrook 8-30 (21%)
Belgrave 4-17 (19%)
Marysville 1-5 (17%)
Emerald 3-22 (12%)
Alexandra 1-8 (11%)
Olinda-Ferny Creek 2-18 (10%)
Warburton-Millgrove 3-40 (7%)
Yarra Junction 0-11
Yarra Glen 0-9
Yea 0-5
South Belgrave 0-4

Well, Gembrook's last Division One finals game was the first semi of 1991 against Olinda - who were playing their first Division One finals game. That match, held at Yarra Glen, was won by Olinda, 10.7 to 7.15.

Monbulk have lost all of their long winning streaks this year (18 v Gembrook, 14 v Olinda, 15 v Mount Evelyn). What's going on down there?

Warburton-Millgrove got to within 8 points at Upwey on Saturday - a pretty impressive effort - but their overall record at Upwey is now 3 wins and 40 losses. After winning there by 35 points on 3 July 1971, Warburton lost their next 28 matches at Upwey from 1972-99. They finally broke the drought in 2000 and then won again in 2002, but have since lost their last 7 at the Dome.

Silvan 3-6 (33%)
Mount Evelyn 2-6 (25%)
Monbulk 10-32 (24%)
Seville 5-16 (24%)
Wandin 5-19-1 (22%)
Gembrook 8-30 (21%)
Belgrave 4-17 (19%)
Marysville 1-5 (17%)
Emerald 3-22 (12%)
Alexandra 1-8 (11%)
Yarra Junction 0-11
Yarra Glen 0-9
Yea 0-5
South Belgrave 0-4

what do we think the hardest ground to win at is?
not necessarily because the home side is the best side?

i think Mt Ev is always a tough ground to play at, as is monbulk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what do we think the hardest ground to win at is?
not necessarily because the home side is the best side?

i think Mt Ev is always a tough ground to play at, as is monbulk.

Healsville is pretty tough as it is wide and can get windy,
Mt Ev is a pit.
Gembrook is another ground that is hard to win on as well

Was nearly going to be another question for Derby.

On Saturday, Gembrook was about 2 minutes off having another draw. When was the last time a team had draws on 2 consecutive matches?

Never! Not in this league, anyway. Healesville came closest in 2002 when they drew consecutive away matches at Gembrook and Belgrave in rounds 16 and 18. The two premiership points Belgrave gained from that latter match were enough to keep them in first division for 2003 and condemn Gembrook to a two-year stint in second division.

Anyway, yes, on Saturday the scores were level 31 minutes into the last quarter with the ball bottled up on Gembrook's forward line. The loss might well cost Gembrook the double chance as Mount Evelyn have a decent run home. Umpire McNiece, who had drawn the ire of the Olinda fans earlier in the season, was pretty good on Saturday.

Seville I think have a big chance. What people don't realize is the injuries Seville have had this season. If and that's a big if, but if they can get a full list playing
in the same game, I'd say their got a huge shot! I've watched yarra glen play and they are very good! But they are beatable!

You Silvan blokes should know a lot about donkey's judging by the horse Jerry, Charlie and Mick Sorace were watching at Cranny on Sunday that they own...

They should change the name of the horse to 'Silvan' too - it's had zero wins from 14 starts - just like your footy team!:D:D:D
Charlie was at the club rooms all day Sunday so how you saw him at cranny is baffling but then Moin or should I call you by your name Leigh as in umpire Walters most of your posts no one takes notice of anyway.

Charlie was at the club rooms all day Sunday so how you saw him at cranny is baffling but then Moin or should I call you by your name Leigh as in umpire Walters most of your posts no one takes notice of anyway.

Good try and maybe I'm wrong, but I dare say you're looking at the same cricket team, but a different bloke. It was hardly the world's hardest cypher to work out either Moin, but I appreciate your work none the less.

Umpire McNiece, who had drawn the ire of the Olinda fans earlier in the season, was pretty good on Saturday.

Ha, Derby, depends which side you were hoping to win. Its fair to say that the umpires were hoping to be able to enjoy a few beers in the Olinda clubrooms after the game this time.

Silvan 3-6 (33%)
Mount Evelyn 2-6 (25%)
Monbulk 10-32 (24%)
Seville 5-16 (24%)
Wandin 5-19-1 (22%)
Gembrook 8-30 (21%)
Belgrave 4-17 (19%)
Marysville 1-5 (17%)
Emerald 3-22 (12%)
Alexandra 1-8 (11%)
Yarra Junction 0-11
Yarra Glen 0-9
Yea 0-5
South Belgrave 0-4

Derby, you're a gem mate !

1st Semi Final in 1991, we played the Foschini led Green Machine in the slop. We'd beaten H'ville at The showgrounds by less than a kick in the last Round to sneak into 4th spot. Gembrook didn't have a great day and the Bloods progressed.

Two weeks later, we took on H'ville at Yarra Glen in the Prelim, they'd been fixed up by Upwey in the 2nd Semi the week before. It was quite warm and dry that day and we played out of our skins. We led by 4-5 goals halfway through the last Qtr, Boxy our Cpat/Coach kicked a goal and big Charlie gave him a clip behind the ears (Boxy had Benny Aulich style hair - colour etc - so I would've clipped him as well just for that) We ended up winning by 10 goals and the fairytale continued.

Met Upwey in the GF at Gembrook and were right in the hunt at halftime. Err, then Upwey did what Upwey used to do alot back then and proceeded to dismantle us. I think they just fell in (is 96pts still a GF record Derby ?) Aaron Sutton came after halftime and kicked 8 goals from a wing, 8 f&*ken goals from a wing !!!!

I think Upweys flag that year was its 3rd in a row, I think Big Bazza retired as coach, Weatherald came in 1992 and the Tiges missed the Granny, bye bye Weatherald, Goose Noble took over and restored normality winning the next 2 flags. Five out of six is a huge effort.

Shit they were good back then ! Williams, Davis, Sandilands, Nobles x 2, Adem, Delaney, Sandilands, Mad Faggs, D.Campbell, Atherton, did I mention Sandilands, Ryan, Chalker, Saynor, oh my god, its happening again ! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Close, but.... Moin is not Leigh.
Leigh still uses a crayon, not a computer! :D
He is an umpire, after all!

We'd beaten H'ville at The showgrounds by less than a kick in the last Round to sneak into 4th spot. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

That is interesting too, TeeS. It was nearly four years before that ground was officially opened, in July 1995. Apparently Queens Park was a quagmire, so they hastily erected temporary facilities at Don Road and played it there. I assume it was on the same oval as they play on now? I just wonder why it took them four more years to get it finished. Maybe they had contracted the Myki mob to construct it.

Thats very true, the ground that day was knackered as well.

Boy I used to love playing footy at Queens Pk as well. Cracking little ground, great rooms to stick around and have a beer in (except when your Team Mgr drives off with the valuables bag and your stay in the rooms in enforced - not looking at any current YV board members by the way !!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back