Yarra Valley - Mountain District FL Forum 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the leauge must think very hard on this decision concerning teams from up the line i know of at least ten blokes "young blokes 19/22year olds have said they either wont play because of the travel or will
1@work
2 play efl which is a lot closer
3 give footy away
number 3 would be sad not only for the players but the clubs involved

Get your fact's right YVMDFL board were informed that Silvan were in discussions with EFL regarding possible move well before club voted to move .If they felt dissapointed i'm sure any league would have organised to have a meeting to discuss any issuse's(never happened)
Very true there Bigdas, no mention of a meeting with the league & l think it was actually one of there board that was spreading the rumour about us leaving before we told our own members, not to professional.

Catpower and Moin, good too see you showin,
We shall begin to bake, it wont be a cake'
But a BIG pie, for you too try,
Smoothered in sause, you will like of cause,

48 VBs, can be found at the TeePees,
Go see the fat man, he will pass you a green can,
He will serve with a smile,and you will stay for a while,
The weather will be fine, you will have a great time'

So enjoy the day,and watch the teams play,
As for the lift, What are you,
2 FREE LOADING PRICKS that will want free beer and a bed
Sorry the last bit didnt ryme i tried:D but i got all emotional
Nice work Burnt Out, gotta love a little ditti, so someone can give us some pity, and pick us up, so we can get toasted!!;)

Very true there Bigdas, no mention of a meeting with the league & l think it was actually one of there board that was spreading the rumour about us leaving before we told our own members, not to professional.

Please just go - I think we have all lost interest in what is happening with your little club. You do not like the YVMDFL and the YVMDFL do not like you - so just go PLEASE.

BurntOut - sorry to say, but Moin's a scratching this week.

Apart from the fact I won't be able to get into the game with all the media that's supposed to be there (by the way - who is Kinglake playing???), I have a bucks party at the V8's down at the Island on Fri/Sat. I am hoping to make it back to watch my little orange mate run around Gembrook on Sunday - if I'm still functioning.

Being a 'distinguished' former player at Kinglake and son of a Life Member, I really should have made an appearance though - but I don't think they need any extra bandwagon jumpers... (distinguished = a bunch of games in the Under 10's in 1982)

But look out for Sunday week!!! Moin will be there (have they moved the game from Worry yet?).

Hopefully the Hawkers can get up this week and then knock Upwey off next week after they stole the cricket flag off us last season!!! Not that i'm bitter or anything.

*p.s - one quick note on the Silvan departure - which towns surround Silvan? If my Melways is correct, then it says Monbulk, Wandin, Mt Evelyn and Olinda. So it would make perfect sense for them to go and play against Glen Waverley, Templestowe, and Canterbury. Forgive us all for being a little confused on the matter...

Please just go - I think we have all lost interest in what is happening with your little club. You do not like the YVMDFL and the YVMDFL do not like you - so just go PLEASE.
Guru, no one said we dont like YVMDFL, people get on here & say crap about our club so l will respond & defend my club when untruths are told. l would think if crap was written about yours you would do the same.

After reading through Silvans motives again for wanting to go to the EFL it seems that Travel is the overwhelming factor. I'm starting to think that we might apply for the EFL as 70% of our players come from Ringwood, Lilydale and those areas :rolleyes:
Done a bit of research last night into the travel factor and done a few sums

Silvan - avg distance to games this season - 26km (includes alex)
- avg distance in EFL divvy 4 next year - 25.6 km
As we can see there is hardly any difference and if the winner of divvy 2 goes up and alex go down the travel factor will decrease alot further

If olinda win avg dist to game - 16kms
If Kinglake win avg dist to game - 20kms

Not too much travelling at all there considering Thornton's avg dist to a game is 90km
You'd be spot on TEDFNC if 60+ players on Silvan's list lived at the SilvanFC social rooms, but as i've said before most of our players live between Mtev & Croydon, so for them travelling to 3rd or 4th Div EFL grounds would have thier travelling distance plummet to around 8-12km per game,and in most case's under 15 minutes, if someone lived in Croydon it would much closer to drive to The Basin or Chirnside then to Wandin,Monbulk and even Mtev,(our closest rivals) and thier longest drive would be Silvan(still under 20km) And as you've stated for the people who live in & around Silvan, thier travelling distance stays the same, so there is a massive advantage for Silvan with the travel issue if we play in the EFL, and remember Silvan is a metropolitian suburb,so it just makes perfect sense to align with a metro league, but the travel issue is about 40% of the reason for Silvan seeking EFL alliance and there are many more reasons for the move, a move of which we are very very excited about!!:)

You are 100% correct, I said I was a bit blind - so once in 1st Divvy since 1966 - going to be a hard ask for either club let alone both

Not too sure about Upwey in Divvy 1 but if you were framing a market for Divvy 2 you would have to say Olinda would be nearly odds on to win all 3. Their seniors and thirds have been the standout all year and deserve to win and on form should while their 2nds after a slowish start have won a heap of games in a row and all pretty comfortably and look certainties. Good luck to them and hopefully they can win all 3 it would be a great acievement

Pretty sure the YVMDFL would be Bonnie Doon preference as they would play 3 sides (presuming Alex come back to divvy 2) that aren't that far away (still 50+kms - which is further than what Silvan would travel to any game in Divvy 1 except Alex).
As for a merger with Yea that wouldn't/couldn't happen the two towns are about 56kms apart and have no real link

BDFL's leading goalkicker for 2009 (Tommy Webster) played on a half back flank in Yea's 2005 premiership :thumbsu:

Ok fine, but still think its sad these clubs dont think of the competition & football improvement in our area in general.

Maybe they have, but just don't always have the league as the number 1 priority - the club has to be!
Well if the club isn't there at all in a few years how does that improve football in the area in general anyway? And why isn't it good for football to have options within your area of where to play - different divisions, different cometitions etc. The area can be a strong football area without every team compeating in the same comp. We have sides within the VCFL, VAFA & EFL all within our doorstep which if managed correctly should be a win win for everyone.

so there is a massive advantage for Silvan with the travel issue if we play in the EFL, and remember Silvan is a metropolitian suburb,so it just makes perfect sense to align with a metro league, but the travel issue is about 40% of the reason for Silvan seeking EFL alliance and there are many more reasons for the move, a move of which we are very very excited about!!:)

Now you are pissing me off - Stop with the crap about the Silvan being metro - this is what maybe the goverment states but in reality it is NOT! Where are the 600-800m2 blocks let alone the 1/4 acres blocks in Silvan?- That is a suburb! Silvan is a country town & so is Monbulk for that matter.
Your players may live in Melb Metro but your club is not.
It is very dissapointing hear that you are excited about developing another football competition not in the area in whioch your clubs operates.
My door & our club is always open, come in for a beer tonight & explain how this move will develop football in the area of Silvan, Monbulk, Wandin & Mt Eve - your clubs neighbourhood!

Maybe they have, but just don't always have the league as the number 1 priority - the club has to be!
Well if the club isn't there at all in a few years how does that improve football in the area in general anyway? And why isn't it good for football to have options within your area of where to play - different divisions, different cometitions etc. The area can be a strong football area without every team compeating in the same comp. We have sides within the VCFL, VAFA & EFL all within our doorstep which if managed correctly should be a win win for everyone.

You think so? I think Maybe its the easier of the 2 options. I think we have 2 agree 2 disagree

Not too sure about Upwey in Divvy 1 but if you were framing a market for Divvy 2 you would have to say Olinda would be nearly odds on to win all 3. Their seniors and thirds have been the standout all year and deserve to win and on form should while their 2nds after a slowish start have won a heap of games in a row and all pretty comfortably and look certainties. Good luck to them and hopefully they can win all 3 it would be a great acievement

Would be a mighty achievment for either Club - it is bloody hard as only 1 club has done it since 1966.

Another twist is that the only side to beat Olinda Unders was Upwey in one of the Divvy 1 Divv2 clashes

Upwey unders have to get through the prelim first, but all their teams did finish top of the ladder, time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some rumors/ facts heading into Grand Finals and off season;

- Apparently all the big wigs including Kevin Rudd and John Brumby will be at the Division 2 GF this weekend. Standby for a big media contingent too!! Will be a very big day at Woori Yallock.

- Austinn Jones has been appointed coach at Beaconsfield for the next 2 seasons. Will there be an exodus of his mates that made the move to Gembrook Cockatoo?

- Despite rumors, Garfield will be hopefully playing in the Ellinbank DFL from next year.

- Any news on umpiring appointments for the weekend? Johnboy where are you?

Great point Blue Tongue, could'nt agree more, it gives people in the area a choice of 3 leagues, so there's gotta be something for everyone

Now you are pissing me off - Stop with the crap about the Silvan being metro - this is what maybe the goverment states but in reality it is NOT! Where are the 600-800m2 blocks let alone the 1/4 acres blocks in Silvan?- That is a suburb! Silvan is a country town & so is Monbulk for that matter.
It is very dissapointing hear that you are excited about developing another football competition not in the area in whioch your clubs operates.
My door & our club is always open, come in for a beer tonight & explain how this move will develop football in the area of Silvan, Monbulk, Wandin & Mt Eve - your clubs neighbourhood!

Well said Cagga. I find the Silvan scenario very disappointing. Its like they take their bat and ball and go home when it all gets too hard!

They weren't saying anything a couple of years ago with all the success they were having and the majority of their players were living on the other side of the city, not even in the eastern suburbs.

Whilst I can in someway understand their plight, short term gain resulting in longer term pain, they have shown no consideration for other clubs or football in the Yarra Valley area what so ever!

Article from the Weekly Times regarding Bonnie Doon and their application to join the YVMDFL.

Will they go to Bonnie Doon?
Roslyn Lanigan
August 28, 2009

THE Yarra Valley Mountain District league's top dog has urged Bonnie Doon to "think outside the square" in its bid to join his competition next year.

League chief executive Stephen Walter said the Bulldogs faced an uphill battle to be welcomed by the league's 20 clubs.

"In essence, they need to put up a compelling case to try and win the support of our clubs," Walter said.

"There's a number of issues in terms of travel, and because we're on the border of the Eastern Football League, there's always the danger that our clubs will go there if they don't want to travel."

Walter said Bonnie Doon may have to compromise to get its foot in the door of the Yarra Valley league, based on Melbourne's eastern outskirts.

"Maybe they could look at holding some of their home games at a closer, neutral venue for the first couple of years and ease their way into the league," he said.

"It's up to them, but they're going to need to think outside the square to get the support they need."

If Bonnie Doon was accepted into the Yarra Valley league, southern clubs in division two - including Emerald, Belgrave and Powelltown - would be forced to travel more than 150km to the Bulldogs' home ground.

Trips to Yea, Thornton-Eildon and Alexandra, likely to be relegated to division two next year, are also more than 100km each way.

Bonnie Doon, currently part of the doomed Benalla and District league, expressed an interest in joining division two of the Yarra Valley league earlier this month and last week made a formal submission to join the competition.

The move follows the Victorian Country Football League's decision to disband the Benalla and District league after this season.

The VCFL board advised Bonnie Doon to seek a transfer to the Ovens and King or Yarra Valley leagues.

Bonnie Doon president Terry Dale insisted the Yarra Valley league was a better fit for his club.

"I think it's the best way for us to go, player-wise and travel-wise," Dale said.

"We want to keep our young player base and a lot of them come from Melbourne way.

"Other teams in the Ovens and King league already draw out of Benalla and Wangaratta, so there's not a lot there for us."

Walter said Bonnie Doon would be asked to present its submission to clubs in both divisions of the Yarra Valley league in the next three weeks.

"If there's in-principle support, we'll formalise the process and move to the next stage," he said.

"If not, it gives Bonnie Doon a few choices.

"They can apply to the Ovens and King league or follow through with an appeal to the VCFL.

"Either way, we want to give Bonnie Doon enough time to sort out what they're going to do."

Bonnie Doon is on-track for back-to-back flags in the Benalla and District league.

The club has won 34 games on the trot and will face second-placed Swanpool in the second semi-final on Saturday.

Some rumors/ facts heading into Grand Finals and off season;

- Apparently all the big wigs including Kevin Rudd and John Brumby will be at the Division 2 GF this weekend. Standby for a big media contingent too!! Will be a very big day at Woori Yallock.

- Austinn Jones has been appointed coach at Beaconsfield for the next 2 seasons. Will there be an exodus of his mates that made the move to Gembrook Cockatoo?

- Despite rumors, Garfield will be hopefully playing in the Ellinbank DFL from next year.

- Any news on umpiring appointments for the weekend? Johnboy where are you?

Div 2 GF - Taylor, Cross, Biffen

Ease up Cagga, the urban spraul has spread quite significantly in the past 15 years that now Silvan is not that far away as they might once have been to full on suburbia, and with all due respect, its not about the clubs surrounding us and what we can do for them and the league, its about whats best for the SilvanFC & what we can do to secure the extreme long term future of the club, & we think giving people who live in the area the oppotunaty to play EFL without having to drive to Lilydale or Coldstream to train is a good thing for the area, the club has already spent 10 odd years in the EFL in the 60s&70s and we think that now is the time to go back, many people in the valley might say, good, who cares, let them go, good riddance, and others may be unhappy about it & will be sad to see us go, but club fully believes its the 100% correct decision, and now we've made it, we are working hard to make it happen,it still has to be voted on by the 43 EFL clubs & approved by VCFL, its still 4 or 5 weeks away until we know the outcome, but remember Cagga as much as we would like it to ,nothing last forever & things change,& you carn't keep everyone happy at once, its just how it is

After hearing enough talk about silvan and there should they/shouldn't they go, i want to hopefully change the topic for a couple of posts.

What are everyones thoughts on the team of the year. And what do people reckon the individual divisions teams should be. Should be a bit more intersting for the Div2 comp because only 2 of them were selected in the league team of the year.

Would be a mighty achievment for either Club - it is bloody hard as only 1 club has done it since 1966.

Another twist is that the only side to beat Olinda Unders was Upwey in one of the Divvy 1 Divv2 clashes

Upwey unders have to get through the prelim first, but all their teams did finish top of the ladder, time will tell

it would be a great effort if the club could win 3 and i am think i'm right in saying that this is the first ever GF that we know of that the reserves have competed in.....fair bit of excitement in the town but it seems the lakers are going to have heaps of support on saturday.

After hearing enough talk about silvan and there should they/shouldn't they go, i want to hopefully change the topic for a couple of posts.

What are everyones thoughts on the team of the year. And what do people reckon the individual divisions teams should be. Should be a bit more intersting for the Div2 comp because only 2 of them were selected in the league team of the year.
Yes lets change the topic, thought Sheers from Upwey was pretty stiff, from Silvan Norman & Carswell had great years.

List of Awards for 2009

YVMDFL Life Members Inductees
Adam Humphrey (Warburton Millgrove)
Peter Fletcher (Yarra Junction)
Steve Pantorno (Gembrook Cockatoo)
Greg Ison (Belgrave)
Sascha Wolfe (Monbulk)
Armin Richter (Monbulk)
Steve Hedger (Alexandra)
George Millman (Gembrook Cockatoo/Emerald)
Bev Lindsay (Seville)

Umpire of the Year
Paul Shoebridge

Interleague
Tony Mitchell Medal - Awarded to Best on Ground (Seniors)
Paul Grayling (Wandin)

Shane Smith Medal - Awarded to Best on Ground (Under 18)
Patrick Rosier (Olinda Ferny Creek)

Netball Best On Court
Melissa Gardner (Wandin)

Volunteer of The Year
Bev Lindsay (Seville)

Trainer of the Year
Bernie Sullivan (Wandin)

Champion Club
Upwey Tecoma - 84 Wins for Season 2009

3MDR Media Awards
Goal of the Year: Chris Pahi (Seville)
Mark of the Year: Steven Gough (Gembrook Cockatoo)

Football Goal Kicking Awards
Under 18:
Jackson Fellows (Mt Evelyn - Division 1) 50 Goals
Blake Walter (Olinda Ferny Creek - Division 2) 62 Goals

Veterans
Rob Brosnan (Croydon North) 26 Goals

Reserves
Simon Broecker (Upwey Tecoma - Division 1) 39 Goals
Andrew Greenall (Olinda Ferny Creek - Division 2) 109 Goals

Seniors
Scott Muir (Warburton Millgrove - Division 1) 76 Goals
Brent Gallichio (Kinglake - Division 2) 93 Goals

Netball Goal Awards
Division 1 - A Grade Kate Youlten (Mt Evelyn) 438 Goals
Division 1 - B Grade Monique Fage (Upwey Tecoma) 450 Goals
Division 1 - C Grade Cheryl Nugent (Healesville) 156 Goals

Division 2 - A Grade Samantha Hansen (Powewlltown) 523 Goals
Division 2 - B Grade Nikki Armstrong (Powelltown) 518 Goals
Division 2 - B Grade Rhiannon Bateman (Yarra Glen) 518 Goals

if kevo and johnny are coming i might get them to pick me up on the way through then i can get a ride with them to the G to watch the pies:thumbsu:.......seems like there is going to be a big crowd at the game wonder if there was any thought to not having any cars in he ground as per bayswater? :eek:

Bit harsh the league BF starting on the bench, cant go wrong having another WY player on the ground;) Sheers very stiff, Norman not as good as the others mentioned in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back