AFLW Yartapuulti vs Gold Coast - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

If AFLW continues in this way it will never work. Skill improving doesn't make it more watchable if the 'footy smarts' stays the same. Everyone on a footy team knows you take the full 30 secs and have a shot, especially if you are kicking with the wind, if you're in front late in the 4th. I'm over Arnell now: chemistry and game plan can take a while but frequent decision making and game smarts needed to be taught and instilled and she hasn't done that and she's now had long enough.

Erin Phillips with 4 minutes left we are 12 points up takes a mark in the forward line and decides to play on and kicks to Pope (who can’t kick 30 metres) just ridiculous
Teakle with less than 2 minutes left we are 6 points up need a behind to seal it and she plays on after taking a mark 30 metres out. There is NO excuses for that. Do we actually have coaches that discuss game situations?

Does the coach come under scrutiny at all? Or because she is female and not Ken it’s off limits? Because that was the dumbest last 5 minutes of footy I’ve ever seen. How does teakle not understand basic maths that even a point or 30 seconds off the clock would’ve won them the match.

Comical footy, unprofessional crap

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If AFLW continues in this way it will never work. Skill improving doesn't make it more watchable if the 'footy smarts' stays the same. Everyone on a footy team knows you take the full 30 secs and have a shot, especially if you are kicking with the wind, if you're in front late in the 4th. I'm over Arnell now: chemistry and game plan can take a while but frequent decision making and game smarts needed to be taught and instilled and she hasn't done that and she's now had long enough.
That last quarter highlighted the complete lack of any football smarts, deadset an U12 would make better decisions.

Does the coach come under scrutiny at all? Or because she is female and not Ken it’s off limits? Because that was the dumbest last 5 minutes of footy I’ve ever seen. How does teakle not understand basic maths that even a point or 30 seconds off the clock would’ve won them the match.

It seriously took a special effort not to win that game

Umpiring was diabolical to hand them that second to last goal but it doesn’t excuse Phillips’ stupidity in trying that short pass when kicking with the wind. To think that Teakle outwitted Erin’s stupidity three minutes later is mind boggling. Even Houghton calling for the Teakle pass. Unforgiveable Matt Thomas level dumbness. Three players who should know better.

Another thing every time Matilda Scholz takes a kick why isn’t there a player running past for the handball because her kicking and decision making is not good we take way too long to move the ball on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soon as we went 2 goals up she took Houghton and Teakle off, who the hell was going to take a mark?

The thing is, after the Phillips’ mistake, someone should have made sure that it couldn’t be repeated. A message had to go out. Houghton should have stopped Teakle, calmed her and gotten her to take the shot. A point wins it. Even a boundary throw in would have been ok. Learn on the go.

Was it Houghton who called for the ball from Teakle? Whoever was calling for it shares a lot of the blame.

A draw is better than a loss any day but that result it always leaves me flat. I keep thinking if only....

I guess ultimately we're not in contention so it's kind of inconsequential.

In a way, it's probably a great learning opportunity - if Arnell is capable of teaching them, which I believe she is. Craig McRae talks about valuing time to protect a lead in a close game. We didn't value time yesterday, we gave them time that they shouldn't have had to equalise the game, and we left two points out there.

Just listened to Arnell's post match presser.

Don't really care what anyone says, I think she's very impressive. Speaks well, direct and to the point, doesn't like losing. She's a standards setter and exactly what you want in a senior coach. Whatever 'it' is, she has. Couldn't be any more opposite to he who I will not sully the good name of the AFLW forum by naming.

People saying if she took 30 seconds for the kick, we win. Considering they kicked the goal to tie it up with two minutes left, how do yous figure that? I understand the principle of it, but it was not directly related to chucking the win away.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Yartapuulti vs Gold Coast - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back