Ye Olde Medhurst vs Tarrant argument

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Just that that is what he would have been "worth" at the time. He was inconsistent, viewed as incredibly selfish, CC was determined to get rid of him, and the Pies were sniffing around. Should have done the trade separately and packed him off for a 4th rounder (or whatever) if they were so determined to trade him - but KEPT PICK 8!!

He was inconsistent but would have still been worth a pick in the 30's IMO.

In a lot of ways when you trade a top ten pick and a quality player for a 26 year old the players form is less important than how the team performs.

If we sit bottom four during Tarrant's tenure then giving away a top ten pick to get him was a mistake.

That's unfair, he's been injured several times this year.

The fact that Polak, Medhurst, Croad, Murphy and several others went backwards at Fremantle is more of an indication of Connolly's incompetence than anything else IMO.

So Chris Connolly is to blame for Murphy and Polaks lack of heart and football nous?

Jeezus.

but Ben Reid has been an insignificant note in the deal. In 3 years he has kicked 3 goals in 9 games

We drafted Ben Reid as a rake-thin 17yr old key position player, now i know you guys havent actually produced many key position players of your own but i can say they do take a little bit of time. comparing him to ballantyne is also unfair. hayden is already a year older, probably a foot shorter and doesnt really need to put on any extra weight.
If you guys are kicking yourself now, wait a few years when reid is in the team holding down a key position and Tarrant is happily retired counting the dollars he made from yet another "Dockers drafting blunder"

^
well yeah but the thing is, we already won outta the trade so Reid is a bonus
and to the fool that said that medhurst and tarrant are only a year apart in age is simply wrong, tarrant was born 1980 Medhurst 1983, im sure you can do the math

I don't think Reid figures at all, who's to say we would have taken him. The comparison is what we gave up intitially, which to this day was too much.

Medhurst vs Tarrant is an interesting argument, while we didn't get the other forward option we wanted...We did get a KPP backmen we have lacked for a while.

Medhurst didn't want to play for the club and frankly wasn't going to pull his finger out (such is the kind of guy he is). The fact he went on to succeed at the pies is a testament to his need for the spotlight and his ability.

I'm still dark at the trade but this season has certainly eased the pain.

So Chris Connolly is to blame for Murphy and Polaks lack of heart and football nous?

Jeezus.

They obviously had some football nous at some stage, Polak was runner up for the rising star award and Murphy kicked around 70 goals in his first season for South's.

What some call a lack of heart others call a lack of confidence.

Medhurst was practically worthless the way he was playing towards the end of his time over here.

Yea, that seems to be a thing forgot a bit in this discussion. I'm in the 'still not convinced with the trade camp' mostly, in fact pretty much only because that pick 8 was important in the long term for us. I wasn't unhappy with Taz coming and I liked Medders, but he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire for us at the time either especially in terms of conisistency.

I'm happy for him (that it worked out well) and not entirely unhappy for us (Taz as a backman a winner) except for that pick (which admitadly could have turned into another Drum).

Come trade/draft period 2006 we had Pick 13, Medhurst and Polak. In the washup we ended up with Tarrant and Solomon. I would argue that Polak and Medhurst were by the end of 2006 just list fillers(Think Murphy) and therefore in effect we obtained Tarrant and Solomon for Pick 13. Probably not a bad deal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If taz can continue on for another 3 years we will have squared the trade I reckon. When trading for older players you have to factor the years of output you give up assuming the draft pick is any good.
Another poster said we were missing a big FB. I think we had an OK one in grover and with Luke to go back there when Pav goes forward grover will probably be sidelined. Luke will want to pick up his intensity though.

They obviously had some football nous at some stage, Polak was runner up for the rising star award and Murphy kicked around 70 goals in his first season for South's.

Quiet dom. Connolly had Schwab's ring-ins to play ahead of developing any young talent we'd got.

How many opportunities was Murphy and Polak given? Plenty. Is it still Connollys fault that Murphy lacks confidence and heart and fight and a second effort, two years after he left the club?

And Polak was given four years to establish himself, but he was overtaken by the likes of pre season draft picks like Johnson. He's barely done anything at Richmond, even before his accident. I assume Connolly is to blame for that as well.

Bag him for the trading of Tarrant if you like, but can we stop blaming him for everything?

How many opportunities was Murphy and Polak given? Plenty. Is it still Connollys fault that Murphy lacks confidence and heart and fight and a second effort, two years after he left the club?

And Polak was given four years to establish himself, but he was overtaken by the likes of pre season draft picks like Johnson. He's barely done anything at Richmond, even before his accident. I assume Connolly is to blame for that as well.

When your confidence is sapped and you don't make any improvement from 18 to 22 it's hard to flick a switch.

About even IMO.

Medhurst had an AA season, Tarrant (should, but probably wont) have an AA this year.

While Medhurst had the AA, Tarrant that season wasn't as good. Same goes this year in regards to Medhurst not having the best year.

And yes i know he has been injured..... but when we got tarrant he was injured also.

Surely what Medhurst has since done at the Pies (under Malthouse), is irrelevant in a comparison with Tarrant. It's what he's likely to have done at the Dockers had he stayed (under different coaches in a less successful team in a slightly different role) that determines what you have either won or lost by the trade. I don't know how anyone would ever begin to guess what might have happened had Medhurst stayed. You got what you got - time to move on and just enjoy Tarrant's contribution maybe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ye Olde Medhurst vs Tarrant argument

Remove this Banner Ad

Back