Prediction Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree that we're looking great centre forward with a resting mid and Sturt down there. It's giving us a lot more in game options with player roles and loading.

I think Walters is about 24th best player right now. Sturt has improved to a level that is forces him out. If anyone is going to argue that Walters plays, who is dropped for him? The only case that can be made is the sub role.

I think we're reaching a point where Sonny in the side might work even in his diminished late career form.:With both Freddy and Sturt in the side we now have non key forwards that their opponent can't roam too far off or the speed will cut them up on the turnover. Opposition sides can't really having 3 of their non key defenders sitting on their opponent all game as it'll kill their run so there could be more oppo for Walters to sag off.

That said there is one Sonny stat that has me worried:

View attachment 2037434

For his entire career (apart for a couple of games in year 1) his constested to uncontested possession ratio has been rarely been much below 2:3, usually better (career it's 5:7). This season it's down near 1:3.
I don't think you should be worried. His contested ratio has probably been high because we've been kicking it on his head to 1v1 and 1v2s for years. Now we've actually got leading forwards and players that kick to them.

The issue with Walters IMO is that he looses I reckon 8/10 of his 1:1 contests.
That leads to the ball going the other way pretty quickly because his defensive pressure doesn’t exist.

IMO the only role he can play given his form so far this year is the sub.

The issue with Walters IMO is that he looses I reckon 8/10 of his 1:1 contests.
That leads to the ball going the other way pretty quickly because his defensive pressure doesn’t exist.

IMO the only role he can play given his form so far this year is the sub.
Imagine being Sturt. You’ve worked your way into the side after years of being relegated to the WAFL. You’re putting in your best effort each week. You know every mistake you make has a chance of seeing you out of the side again.

You look over at Walters. He’s losing 80% of his contests. Constantly lagging 20m behind play. Never anywhere near the drop of the ball. Double-handles every loose ball. Spends more time giving away frees for unrealistic attempts than anything else. And he gets picked every week without question.

Absolute demoralizing for the young players
I can imagine.

I think it'll be a fairly close game to be honest

88- 60

We'll be coming down off a high

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Walker in the rehab group today, so he could be given a rest this week. From the Sydney post-match interview it seems like some injury he might have also had earlier in the season, although JL called it a "stubbed toe". He also missed the Gold Coast game, and that was said to be "illness".

Bring Aish,Cox into the starting line-up and Walters to the sub bench for Walker and Davies.

Imagine being Sturt. You’ve worked your way into the side after years of being relegated to the WAFL. You’re putting in your best effort each week. You know every mistake you make has a chance of seeing you out of the side again.

You look over at Walters. He’s losing 80% of his contests. Constantly lagging 20m behind play. Never anywhere near the drop of the ball. Double-handles every loose ball. Spends more time giving away frees for unrealistic attempts than anything else. And he gets picked every week without question.

Absolute demoralizing for the young players
I can imagine.

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. Sturt barely had a preseason, and looked miles off it when he returned for the praccy matches. Jlo said himself his biggest challenge has been continuity.
Regardless, I just can't see a world where Sturt in his current form is sent back to Peel for Walters - and I'd be first in angry mob if that happens.

It's a great reminder to bring as much light into the lives of those around us while we can. Thank you for that. There's a little girl in my family with a similar condition who is getting a big surprise hug later today now.
Check out Percheron Therapeutics, making some breakthroughs with their MD treatment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Sonny is coming back if fit. Bad news for the extra mid I'd say.

Is this your take from the JLO presser? I got the opposite impression, sounds like Cox is a lock while Sonny seems unlikely -

"It's a bit different with 'Sonny' (Walters) and 'Coxy'. Coxy's had a two-week build and hasn't missed a beat with his build, and Sonny's still in his injury rehab," Longmuir said.

"We'll see where he's at after (training), both physically and where his mind is at, and we'll make a call from there."

Edit - unless you mean in the longer term vs this week, in which case yep I agree it sounds like there's a place for him

Is this your take from the JLO presser? I got the opposite impression, sounds like Cox is a lock while Sonny seems unlikely -

"It's a bit different with 'Sonny' (Walters) and 'Coxy'. Coxy's had a two-week build and hasn't missed a beat with his build, and Sonny's still in his injury rehab," Longmuir said.

"We'll see where he's at after (training), both physically and where his mind is at, and we'll make a call from there."

Edit - unless you mean in the longer term vs this week, in which case yep I agree it sounds like there's a place for him
Yeah longer time. I'd be surprised if they rushed him back unless 100%, but from that presser he's coming back when fit.

Yeah longer time. I'd be surprised if they rushed him back unless 100%, but from that presser he's coming back when fit.
In no way did JL indicate whether he would come in if fit. He’s not going to publicly say either way because it makes the oppo study easier for our opponent.

Cox/Davies only this week. What do we do with Aish??? How are we feeling about him. Been slightly invisible.

Walters: to rehab another week. 1/2 weeks in wafl, then come into the side as 22nd/23rd man granted he plays well in wafl. Need to get sonny to 110%.

If we're to play Finals, we need Sonny! A fully fit, fully firing SonSon is a scary prospect for an opposition and a match winner for us. This should be our aim for him over the next 8 weeks to get the most out of him, as he may not be able to remain at peak output for that long. Prime him for finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back