York Park vs Bellerive Oval

Which venue should host AFL football in Tasmania?

• York Park

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Bellerive Oval

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerFan said:
geez, you think he'd be proud, aye? :p

NAH NAH plastic bag arag mag sag. Ontop plop sop mop cop. Dip pip sip lip rip. can ran bedpan man aran. Tigersfan do you agree?

Devilcat said:
Bellerive. Hobart is the capital city of Tas, and has more than half the states population living within it. The only reason York Park was developed over Bellerive for AFL football was because the Labor government felt it was weak in the north and last election made massive promises to the Launceston people. The facilities, and playing surface at Bellerive are the best at any ground in TAS.
The only problem is the local residents. Parking has and most likely will always be a problem at Bellerive. I say destroy the park behind it and build right up to the beach. Lets get some parking in. I'm not interested in parking up near Howrah Primary just to see a game of football.
Typical slobart tool :rolleyes: ...states that Bellreive is the best ground for football in Tas ...forgets that Aurora stadium is THE ONLY AFL accredited ground in the state ..it also has better facilitys ..much much better parking and is closer for the majority of Tasmanians ...The surface is rated the best in Australia by all who play on it ...Bellreive comes a sorry second

Blues_Man said:
Typical slobart tool :rolleyes: ...states that Bellreive is the best ground for football in Tas ...forgets that Aurora stadium is THE ONLY AFL accredited ground in the state ..it also has better facilitys ..much much better parking and is closer for the majority of Tasmanians ...The surface is rated the best in Australia by all who play on it ...Bellreive comes a sorry second
........I was wondering when old Bluey would pop his head in.
Still trumpeting that Launceston Examiner line I see :p

As for parking - agreed - mind you the only grounds I've ever been to with worse parking than Bellerive would be Queenborough and Kingston Beach Oval, so that wouldn't be difficult.
Superior surface and facilities - I'll see them for the first time in 9 years when the Tigers front up to York Park in a couple of months.
Bellerive's surface is generally good, although having walked across it in the middle of winter, the cricket pitch area isn't real good at times.
Correct on the AFL accreditation line as well, however, if Carrara and Manuka can be accredited then so can Bellerive.
I visited Carrara 12 years ago, it wasn't used to for AFL then - rugby league I think from memory - and couldn't believe they ever held AFL games on it!! :eek:

In my opinion, its up to the power brokers to actually work with the TCA, local authorities, transport (Metro), planners and then do the necessary upgrades to the ground and surrounds if they want to actually hold AFL games there in the future.
I personally don't like the ground as a football stadium - never have - however, if they want games in the South, that's where it would have to be played, I love North Hobart, but it missed the boat twenty years ago.

Like I said earlier though, if they were fair dinkum about getting an AFL game played in the South, they would've planned it a lot better - but as usual, they've stumbled from one thing to another, leaving it for "someone else" to do it.

Just out of interest Blue, when was the last match you attended in Hobart, and what grounds did you visit when you followed North Launnie in the TFL days?

Kingpin said:
........I was wondering when old Bluey would pop his head in.
Still trumpeting that Launceston Examiner line I see :p

As for parking - agreed - mind you the only grounds I've ever been to with worse parking than Bellerive would be Queenborough and Kingston Beach Oval, so that wouldn't be difficult.
Superior surface and facilities - I'll see them for the first time in 9 years when the Tigers front up to York Park in a couple of months.
Bellerive's surface is generally good, although having walked across it in the middle of winter, the cricket pitch area isn't real good at times.
Correct on the AFL accreditation line as well, however, if Carrara and Manuka can be accredited then so can Bellerive.
I visited Carrara 12 years ago, it wasn't used to for AFL then - rugby league I think from memory - and couldn't believe they ever held AFL games on it!! :eek:

In my opinion, its up to the power brokers to actually work with the TCA, local authorities, transport (Metro), planners and then do the necessary upgrades to the ground and surrounds if they want to actually hold AFL games there in the future.
I personally don't like the ground as a football stadium - never have - however, if they want games in the South, that's where it would have to be played, I love North Hobart, but it missed the boat twenty years ago.

Like I said earlier though, if they were fair dinkum about getting an AFL game played in the South, they would've planned it a lot better - but as usual, they've stumbled from one thing to another, leaving it for "someone else" to do it.

Just out of interest Blue, when was the last match you attended in Hobart, and what grounds did you visit when you followed North Launnie in the TFL days?
Always North Hobart oval ..as i would only travel down for the GF
I have been to bellreive for the cricket and think that it's a great little cricket oval ...but it doesn't even come close to being the great stadium York park has evolved into ...you are in for a surprise when you get back there after 9 years kingpin

Unfortunately as a Hobart resident i do have to admit i enjoy watching football at Aurora Stadium more than i do at Bellerive....Theres just somthing about bellerive that i don't like.....maybe its because theres more coporate area at bellerive then there is proper seating half the seats are behind glass and it doesnt really give it a stadium feel....However the big stands and especially with the new redevelopment the ground at Aurora Stadium has deffinately passed Bellerive and feels more like a AFL Ground. It is more modern and obviousley suited to AFL. I Belive Aurora stadium is winning the battle as much as it kills me to say it and Bellerive really needs to do somthing to match it!

Toadfooty said:
NAH NAH plastic bag arag mag sag. Ontop plop sop mop cop. Dip pip sip lip rip. can ran bedpan man aran. Tigersfan do you agree?

hahaha, wholeheartedly :D

Kingpin said:

I agree with Blues_Man - you're going to be astounded how far York Park has come in the past few years. I moved to Launceston in 1998, and York Park was nothing short of crap when I attended my first match there. nowadays, it's a ground that the Launceston football community are rightfully proud of

I visited Carrara 12 years ago, it wasn't used to for AFL then - rugby league I think from memory - and couldn't believe they ever held AFL games on it!!

I've never entered the playing arena at Bellerive, so I can't really comment on the surface. but, I still wouldn't argue with the ground being given AFL accreditation. it has glaring deficiencies when compared with York Park, but it's still a world class stadium all the same.

as for Carrara - I visited Carrara as a 10 year old in 1995 and I can still remember laughing when my mum told me that AFL football used to be played at the ground. I'm not sure how far Carrara has come in the past 11 years, but the TV footage from round 3 suggests that Bellerive would more than hold its own

let's assume they got their act together tomorrow - how long do you think it would take to implement the necessary infrastructure to make Bellerive viable as an AFL venue?

anyway, I think I've decided how I'm going to tackle the Scott Wade interview. basically, rather than hammering him with questions about the perceived incompetence of AFL Tas (and getting his back up in the process), I'm going to concentrate on how Tasmanian football is going to move forward.

do you think it would be wise to focus on the Devils/Kangaroos alliance as the future of Tasmanian football?

personally, I'm starting to have doubts on the long-term viability of AFL in Tasmania, so I'm either going to have to focus on 'why?' or I'm going to have to look at the future direction of footy in Tasmania (which will almost certainly centre around this alliance).

which direction should I take?

I used to go to York Park all the time, went back after a couple of years in '02 for the hawks/freo game (which freo should have won :) ) and was surprised by the difference then. Bellerive is good for cricket, and North Hobart is a bit small (must say though, the TFL gf's in 95 and 98 were worth seeing there).

Its a dead issue anyway, hobart dicked around and Launceston ended up with the footy. i was happy to see it. btw Boags is vastly superior to that cat pierce they sell down south :p

TigerFan said:
hahaha, wholeheartedly

Thanks for clearing that up, but seriously I think not only are you gathering a great source of info for yourself you are giving us the public a meaningful topic to talk about! Top work!

Rating :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: out of :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

will be very interested to see how many they get to York Park this Sunday...

does anybody know where I can get my hands on some results and attendance figures from old Northern and Southern grand finals (even old TFL would do)?

Blues_Man said:

Been to Bellerive Oval for the first time since it was done up, don't like it, down where you enter the ground you cannot see the top of the goal posts so you have to guess if it's a goal or not. Though it is good not to get wet, but I don't like it.

Like the look of York Park, I did hear Armstrong wasn't a fan of the turf, I guess they fixed that as he hasn't complained in a couple of years. Would be good to have some AFL in the South, but we haven't got a venue upto AFL standards as the AFL inspected Bellerive in I think 2004.

The Majestic said:
Been to Bellerive Oval for the first time since it was done up, don't like it, down where you enter the ground you cannot see the top of the goal posts so you have to guess if it's a goal or not. Though it is good not to get wet, but I don't like it.

Like the look of York Park, I did hear Armstrong wasn't a fan of the turf, I guess they fixed that as he hasn't complained in a couple of years. Would be good to have some AFL in the South, but we haven't got a venue upto AFL standards as the AFL inspected Bellerive in I think 2004.
Yes Armstrong claimed the dew on the ground during a night game at York park made his players fall over a lot ..the bloke has more excuses than anyone in football when his Hobart devils lose...he is a tosser pure and simple

Will be interested to see how many turn up to the Geelong VS TAS VFL game at Bellerive.

personally, I'm starting to have doubts on the long-term viability of AFL in Tasmania...

Have a look at some of the great players that have come out of Tasmania. Did you know that the participation rate of Tasmanians in Football is the highest of any state in Australia? Also, it was interesting to note a recent survey on the AFL website... 'If the Kangaroos relocate, where should they go?' I think the options were the Gold Coast, Canberra, Sydney or Japan... Interesting that Tasmania didn't even recieve a mention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues_Man said:
Yes Armstrong claimed the dew on the ground during a night game at York park made his players fall over a lot ..the bloke has more excuses than anyone in football when his Hobart devils lose...he is a tosser pure and simple
I guess he needs something other then his coaching to blame, seems funny to bag the ground when he coached the Northern Bombers back in the old TFL. His players would fall over their own feet at Bellerive Oval too, and at North Hobart, I guess the surface there was crap too.

Oh I know York Parks problem, it's the urine the Clarence left a few years back ;)

Devilcat said:
Will be interested to see how many turn up to the Geelong VS TAS VFL game at Bellerive.

personally, I'm starting to have doubts on the long-term viability of AFL in Tasmania...

Have a look at some of the great players that have come out of Tasmania. Did you know that the participation rate of Tasmanians in Football is the highest of any state in Australia? Also, it was interesting to note a recent survey on the AFL website... 'If the Kangaroos relocate, where should they go?' I think the options were the Gold Coast, Canberra, Sydney or Japan... Interesting that Tasmania didn't even recieve a mention.

I posted a thread on the main board about the relocation as the DEvils are aligned with the Roos, to be honest I don't think they would, and they shouldn't, Hawthorn are doing reasonable.

I think Tassie needs a bigger ground so we can bring down some bigger teams, like Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, would there be enough room at York Park for another big stand?

Bellerive is only suited at the moment for VFL and cricket, it's in a bad spot, and hasn't really got enough room for development. North Hobart could have had a bigger area if they have of bought the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institute next door, now it's a hotal, and North Hobart missed out.

Plus there was a ground to be built at the Showgrounds, but that was never brought forward for development. We have robbed ourselves of AFL through a lot of crap.

And now are football is suffering due to poor administration.

TigerFan said:
will be very interested to see how many they get to York Park this Sunday...

does anybody know where I can get my hands on some results and attendance figures from old Northern and Southern grand finals (even old TFL would do)?
Yes - I've got many of them. I'll post them up on here in a while.
TFL & SFL grand final crowds.

Blues_Man said:
I remember when that c**t whinged and whined and moaned about how unsafe the playing surface was at North Hobart about 4-5 years back, and that it resembled a potato field on the terrace wing - he complained so much that AFL Tasmania dolled out the cash to hire a helicopter in to dry out North Hobart Oval - it had been a very, very, very cold and wet fortnight.

I remember on the same weekend watching a game on the ABC from Windy Hill and the state of the ground over there was worse than a West Park king tide quagmire.
Caught up with Wadey in front of the old bar at the TCA the following Sunday during a STJFL round and gave it too him 10-barrels full, over their pissing money that could go to help saving footy in the state away on frivolous crap like that.
If it was "so unsafe" for Armstrong's pampered pooches to play on it, why wasn't it unsafe for SFL footballers to play on it, or junior footballers?

I dunno about you Blues_Man, but I've lost count of how many times I've nearly smashed televisions in listening to Whinestrong give out his list of excuses as to why the Devils didn't perform this week on WIN News.

It's all jobs for the boys stuff.

TigerFan - as per request.

crowds10hy.jpg

His whining about other grounds in the VFL was classic as well.

Every week I look forward to whatever excuse he comes up with for the week, today the Devils play the Cats, I am sure we'll hear him whinge. Don't worry, Armstrong it's a lovely day out, nothing about the ground to whinge about today.

15,282 was a fantastic crowd for St Kilda and Freo on a wet day though

if you went to the game, post in this thread and give us your impressions of York Park in its current state

Remove this Banner Ad

York Park vs Bellerive Oval

Back