Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very hard to pick this year looks like lots of players with potential and who knows where they will fall in the draft. Each time I think about it I change my mind but I'd go with this considering where other players look likely to drop.
22 Tim Kelly aged 23 goal kicking midfielder can also win his own ball inside could be perfect on a wing from round 1 next year.
24 Sam Hayes ruck/forward will take a while to develop but hopefully could develop as much forward like Wright as a ruck to replace Smith. Potentially could be a boom or bust pick but picking around this mark is prone to those sort of players anyway. Would be great to have a young ruck developing, would probably mean Abbott is delisted at the end of next season hut they may happen anyway.
35 Brent Daniels small forward who played some VFL games for Geelong this season and seems to have a bit of the annoying traits good small forwards have.
58 James Worpel inside mid looks like Josh Caddy goes in hard, tackles well and finds the ball but has some disposal deficits that would have him drop further down the draft. Good to have young mids coming through and with coaching should improve disposal and decision making. Seemed to rove well off Hayes in footage I saw so could work well together. Also with Cockatoo and Parfitt could form a good midfield together.

There are other players that I like and if we had more picks would love a couple more, disappointed we will pick up hayball as a rookie as I haven't seen him do anything to warrant more time and think some quality players could be available then. Tom Atkins, Hamish Brayshaw, Stefan Giro, Cassidy Parish and Adam Sambono could all be there as a rookie or late pick who I like.
Joel Garner I like but does he play the same role as Thurlow?
Tom McCartin and Toby Wooler I Like but I'd be really concerned they are not big enough as key forwards and don't have enough other attributes to play as a third forward.
Liam Ryan could be a star but it's so hard to work out where to pick him I imagine he just goes to the Eagles
Sam Taylor I like and can see why we'd pick him I just don't think we need another key defender

I didn't realise Daniels had played VFL for us this year. Interesting to read that Dow, Brander and O'Brien also trained with our VFL side. Not sure this means anything though, considering Joe Atley and Tom Cole had done the same in previous years.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/another-pioneer-gets-chance-with-vfl-cats/

Assuming we're talking about Hayes? Ruckmen typically test poorly on the endurance tests. If that's the only knock on him then I want him.
Shocking that 18 yo big guys have poor tanks.

Mummy would be the best case there. Could eat more snags per km run than anyone and me thinks he turned out ok..

If tank is the club house leader in tents if issues then I’d happily look past that and come back to it in 3 years - provided their other metrics are good

Go Catters

Shocking that 18 yo big guys have poor tanks.

Mummy would be the best case there. Could eat more snags per km run than anyone and me thinks he turned out ok..

If tank is the club house leader in tents if issues then I’d happily look past that and come back to it in 3 years - provided their other metrics are good

Go Catters
The body type plays a role though Mumford was a big body strong ruckman he just needed to convert his weight into muscle. The taller skinny rucks like Hayes need to put on muscle and in Hayes case fitness as well, as a big man putting on both muscle and getting fitter can be difficult. What will he lose by doing that? Pace? Leap?
There seems enough questions on him that he won't be taken in the first round but he's good enough to still go top 30. VDubs mentioned Dawson Simpson who's a good example he added size to his arms but became too slow and cumbersome around the ground. And we don't know how much trying to make his body right for afl contributed to his injuries.

Assuming we're talking about Hayes? Ruckmen typically test poorly on the endurance tests. If that's the only knock on him then I want him.

He was that and 2nd or 3rd last for the 2km TT. Agility 8.77 was bottom end but not awful for a tall.

The body type plays a role though Mumford was a big body strong ruckman he just needed to convert his weight into muscle. The taller skinny rucks like Hayes need to put on muscle and in Hayes case fitness as well, as a big man putting on both muscle and getting fitter can be difficult. What will he lose by doing that? Pace? Leap?
There seems enough questions on him that he won't be taken in the first round but he's good enough to still go top 30. VDubs mentioned Dawson Simpson who's a good example he added size to his arms but became too slow and cumbersome around the ground. And we don't know how much trying to make his body right for afl contributed to his injuries.

Hayes isn't skinny, he's 93kg already. Also, Dawson was slow and cumbersome as a draftee, it wasn't the gym that made him that way. Hayes moves well as is good in the air and at ground level. He'd only be adding another 7-10kgs.

Hayes isn't skinny, he's 93kg already. Also, Dawson was slow and cumbersome as a draftee, it wasn't the gym that made him that way. Hayes moves well as is good in the air and at ground level. He'd only be adding another 7-10kgs.

Wouldnt play ruck at afl until he gets to 100kg. If we drafted him it would be to play KPFthough i think.

Running is important for all players but id be prepared to run the risk on a player with such a long horizon .. key to me for a ruckman is durability and talent. More often than not you play only one ruck .... 5 B+ rucks on a clubs list doesn't help anyone and Hayes has talent and can play forward.
Long term goal ..I want to setup a solid group of kids as much as anything ... so that in 3 years time we have a good group that have all come on together.... and in comparison to Mumford , he was not even a 18 year old consideration.

Last edited:
CatsDoItBetter why Tim Kelly when we have our own Tom Atkins who plays a similar role kicking goals and is a tackling machine.

Different types. Atkins is a hard tackling inside mid who is awesome defensively but not heaps of speed or outside skill.

Kelly is an inside/outside mid who can win his own ball but also break lines with speed and is damaging by foot.

Dawson was not that slow and cumbersome as a draftee. He was thought of pretty well in that area considering 206 cm.
I think that was the surprise about him- mobile, agile despite the frame.
There is no doubt at all about it, that he was cruelled by 3 spinal ops and then a knee

I don't see anything special in CCJ or Hayes, prefer we use the picks on 1-2 ready made players for best 22, and get best available for Small Fwd, CHB, Taller Fwd (marking types), outside midfielder. I don't think our Ruck stocks are a list concern atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see anything special in CCJ or Hayes, prefer we use the picks on 1-2 ready made players for best 22, and get best available for Small Fwd, CHB, Taller Fwd (marking types), outside midfielder. I don't think our Ruck stocks are a list concern atm.

I'm very cool on CCJ but Hayes has some very appealing attributes. I'm a big one for using the first couple of picks on every draft on the best available, regardless of the position they play. Depending on how the draft falls I'd be very comfortable taking Hayes. We wouldn't have to worry about drafting a ruck for years.

Dawson was not that slow and cumbersome as a draftee. He was thought of pretty well in that area considering 206 cm.
I think that was the surprise about him- mobile, agile despite the frame.
There is no doubt at all about it, that he was cruelled by 3 spinal ops and then a knee

Not true, I recall him being very slow and immobile. Took a bit of digging, but his 20m sprint was 3.22sec:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/test-results.397830/

I'm very cool on CCJ but Hayes has some very appealing attributes. I'm a big one for using the first couple of picks on every draft on the best available, regardless of the position they play. Depending on how the draft falls I'd be very comfortable taking Hayes. We wouldn't have to worry about drafting a ruck for years.

Define best available....

Rucks are not a concern KPFs definitely are.

Define best available....

Great question. For me it’s simply the player who’s been assessed to be the most likely to have the most successful career compared to the other players available at that pick. He may not necessarily be the “best”player at the moment but may have the greatest upside. There are a few additional attributes I look for - the player should have a great feel for the game, be able to win a fair share of their own footy and have a fundamentally sound kicking action.

I'm really warming to Hugh Dixon as a KPF option at Pick 58 if available. I think he may have more upside than McCartin or Wooller.

Brander and Ballenden are probably the best KPFs, but they will be gone or matched.

Rucks are not a concern KPFs definitely are.

Its been a fair time since we have gone for the more definitive pick rather than a flexy type. So for us to pick a Hayes or a Brander or even a smallish speedy type would be a fair bit different than a Nathan Murphy type. Its so open .. it should be a good discussion point post draft..with plenty of growls and grins

Yeah exactly, and I don't see Hayes or CCJ natural forwards so I would pass on them.

I suppose it depends on whether you see Hayes or CCJ as rucks who can go forward a bit (e.g. like Lycett Ryder Kreuzer etc) or KPFs who can pinch hit 2nd ruck like Wright and Daniher. If the former then we probably have enough rucks but if the latter then we should seriously consider picking Hayes/CCJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back