your favorite football season

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 Preliminary Final, Port Adelaide def St Kilda by 6 points. Goal for goal all night, one of the best prelim finals in ages!

Smokin_Joe said:
did thommo kick six that day? and the hawks came from behind to win? or am i mistaken?
Both parts you are correct.

Thommo kicked 6 in the last game vs Sydney, but Hawthorn also had that comeback against St.Kilda which was bettered by Essendon 2 years latter.

I went to the game vs the Kangaroos that year when Carey kicked 10 or something and Lloyd 12. That was probably the most skillfull game I have ever seen

'89 was the best year, because Hawthorn and Geelong made it great. Their three games that year were better than anything since, save for the 1993 Ess-Geel one and the 1996 (?) Ess-Roos one. '93 comes in a close second for me, although if I wasn't a Hawk supporter I'd go for '93 as the best.

1979 & 1995 were my two favourites in 95 i took my son across the big pond to see the last roster game between the Blues and Bombers . the G was packed with 87,000 screaming fans and the atmosphere was incredible .
the blues won quite easily and afterwards while having a kick in the car park we managed to have a chat with a few of the blues players Sticks was very approachable as was big Harry Madden both stopped for a chat . it was a big day for a 12 yr old boy attending his first AFL game .
we stayed the week and went along to watch the blues play the Bears/Lions in the first final . they were by far the 2nd best form side going around at that time ...after a tight tussle for 3 quarters Kouta went forward in the last quarter and kicked 3 match winning goals ..to get the blues home by a couple of kicks . Roger Merrett took and absolute screamer of a mark and kicked a very late goal . we headed off back to Tassie pretty confident of our sides chances in the rest of the finals

Alex_au said:
2001 ! I bought the Hawks 2001 video and have watched it a few times this year to take my mind off some of our hammerings :(

the only time a club made a preliminary final from an elimination final under the current finals system.

it's a bit odd that the prelim doesn't get talked up enough when people think of classic footy games.
that set shot to take the lead v. Essendon in the prelim, crawford i think, that ended in a poster in the 4th quarter killed the hawks momentum , weren't they down by about 4 or 5 goals in the 3rd? that prelim was just screaming to to become another '99 for the bombers (that avalanche of frees given to the red and black in the 1st quarter just ********ed me off), still a classic i wouldn't mind seeing again

lions would have eaten the hawks alive in the GF though

Remove this Banner Ad

your favorite football season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back